Good general purpose revolver?

Quote:
I would recommend the Ruger over the S&W just because the Ruger is stronger.
And your evidence for this claim is?

That being bulkier and heavier due to their cast construction instead of forged, they MUST be stronger - don'tcha see?.....:D:p;):rolleyes::eek::cool:

dgludwig

And your evidence for this claim is?

The evidence for saying the Ruger is stronger is two fold.
1. I have witnessed many S&W revolvers having to be worked on over a three year span while shooting Hunter's Pistol Silhouette while my own Ruger has never needed work in the 45 years that I have owned it. I put 30000 rounds through it in the three years I competed in silhouette.
and
2. The reloading manuals list hotter loads for Ruger and Contender pistols that are not recommended for use in S&W or Colt guns.

Of the two pieces of evidence the second is completely objective while the first is subjective to a large degree. Taken together it is strong evidence that the Ruger is stronger than the S&W.

I'm going to suggest a slightly different path. Look at a S&W 627. Nice stout N-frame to soak up recoil and handle a lot of heavy magnum loads with ease. 8 rounds of either .38sp or .357mag, great trigger and sights. The only drawback is weight, it is a heavy framed revolver. But with the right holster and belt it carries OWB fairly comfortably. If I could only keep one revolver this would unquestionably be it. And I have some pretty nice Smith's, but this is the most versatile one and just plain nice to shoot no matter what the load.
I agree. Mine is the 627 standard 8 shot...not PC. I really like it.

Put me in the camp of a S&W K-frame. As a general purpose revolver, the K-frames are hard to beat. Not too heavy, point naturally, generally have a good action, and are common so that parts should be available if repairs are needed.

The .357 magnum family comes in Models 13, 19, 65, and 66. The 13 and 65 have fixed sights while the 19 and 66 have adjustable sights. The .38 specials are generally less expensive with the Model 10 being the most plentiful. For decades, they were probably the most popular duty gun for police officers. The adjustable sight version is the Model 15.

Out here in the desert, a .327 Federal Magnum covers all the bases.
All of them. One Marlin lever gun in .327, and two Single Sevens, 7.5" and 4.62" (just last week on the latter); it was a tossup between another S7, or a 4.62" SP101. Boiled down to style, so I went for the single action. I'll get the 101 later. .327 Federal is an often over-looked round. I have .357s, .38s, .44s and .45s, but for every day carry, in the outdoors, it's a .327. If you handload, all the better. Bullets are available from 60-140 grains. I have rarely even fired .22 the last couple years, as .327 will also fire .32H&R Magnum, .32 S&W Long and Short, and the revolvers even .32ACP. Handloaded for less than .22.
Wish I'd discovered it earlier.

This is a simple one for me. I'd buy(which I did) a Ruger GP 100 4" 357 mag.
It's super accurate, takes any 38 or 357 mag ammo and it's easy to take care of
and not terribly hard to carry.
I researched the dickens out of this 2 years ago and had the $$ to buy any revolver I wanted & bought the Ruger. It's your choice. Best of luck.

Right now, I;m carrying a S&W model 15 I just picked up for $300, If I was going to buy a do everything revolver I;d look strongly at a three or four inch GP100.

Older Smith if you can find one at a good price, newer one if your OK with the port hole.
Me..............I'd get a Ruger gp100..........*if I didn't already have my Ruger Security Six!:D

Ruger Blackhawk 357 - my favorite, but I am a SA fan

Ruger GP100 - my friend's has a great trigger

S&W K frame - I own a couple of good ones, one being over a hundred years old

SP100 - too small, 5 shots, some have horrible triggers (mine, for instance)

Last edited:
Tallball,
I agree that the SP101 is too small and that the trigger is... much less than ideal. The GP100 is one I plan to get so my Security-Six's don't get lonely.

After some browsing around I've got my sights set on either a model15 or a 581. I really like the fixed sights for the durability. Never broke an adjustable sight but I'm sure you guys know Murphy's law... So now I'll start a new thread on what kind of diet it'll handle, I fear I know the answer with it being a K frame.

Never broke an adjustable sight but I'm sure you guys know Murphy's law...

It's been my experience that the supposed fragility of adjustable sights is much ado about little, Murphy be damned. I prefer adjustable sights on most any handgun, the obvious exceptions being on those that are being carried in areas where a sight could be snagged, interfering with a clean draw in a self-defense scenario or on those where a sight might detract from its historical authenticity appearance.

I, for one, really like fixed sights on a revolver. It takes a lot more effort to get fixed sights just right for your preferred ammo, but once you have them right, they are good for the duration. They do, however, limit you to one bullet weight, so you need to dedicate the revolver to the ammo. If you simply must keep switching your ammo between light and heavy bullets and back again, then you need adjustable sights. So, Austin Hall, I have to say that you really might be better off with adjustable sights. I really like the Vaquero over the Blackhawk because of the smoother handling sights. But I stick with bullets of 255 grains, plus or minus, well, not very much. Velocity variations make no difference to me, only bullet weight.

I've got my sights set on either a model15 or a 581. <snip> So now I'll start a new thread on what kind of diet it'll handle, I fear I know the answer with it being a K frame.
581 is an L frame & the 15 is a .38 spl only, so, knock yourself out with whatever you want to use.

(The 125 grain .357 Magnum is the forcing cone destroyer & the load to avoid in the K frame magnums.)

Wise choice on either.

A 686 is also available & the stainless version of the 58X - but - with adjustable sights.

I'd consider fixed sights for a dedicated CCW, but for "general purpose"/"max versatility", adjustable sights are the way to go, IMO. In addition to being adjustable, they typically offer a much better sight picture.

I've never damaged a rear sight, but I have damaged flimsy/exposed fiber optics on the front sight.

Back