Good general purpose revolver?

But I stick with bullets of 255 grains, plus or minus, well, not very much. Velocity variations make no difference to me, only bullet weight.

Of course, these two factors influencing downrange performance (bullet weight and velocity) are forever linked; each inextricably affecting the other's role in the ballistics formula. Everything else being equal, any change in bullet weight will always be accompanied by variations in velocity.

I misspoke. I ment a model13 not a model15. I never plan on shooting any barn burner loads of 357, just don't need them but might use some really warm 38 specials. For paper at 10 yards a baseball sized group is acceptable. When I shoot steel it's either 5, 10, 15 or 20 yards. Smallest plate is 8" so teeny tiny groups aren't needed, nor am I that good. If I ever need it for defense it'll be closer to 5 feet for snakes or "oh wow, what a strong bite you have" ranges on an aggressive dog so fixed sights are fine. Matching the load is just going to be trial and error like with rimfires I assume right?

In my case, more velocity only yields more energy on target along with more recoil. However, the point of impact at 25-50 yards is the same as long as the bullet weight is the same.

You don't need to fear or shoot snakes and some are protected, anyway. Just don't stick your hand anywhere you're not looking at closely; and you won't be barefoot, either. A danger from other critters doesn't really exist. I lived in the middle of canebrake & pygmy rattlers, copperheads and cottonmouths and the only ones we were careful about were the copperheads. I even caught them in the summer and displayed them in a terrarium, releasing them in early autumn.

The only serious danger you may consider is with two legged miscreants. It would be difficult to choose a better piece than a 4" .38spl revolver. The S&W M10 is affordable from the used gun display. I like the Diamondback but they would now be costly. The old Ruger Security Six is my favorite Ruger Double action revolver. I like the .357mag a lot but it's not truly necessary.

GP

Yeah, another +1 to some type of K-frame, and I would prefer a .357 over a .38, not for the need for more power, but having it as an option. My GP load for some time in .357 has been a 158 LSWC at 1000 fps, hotter than .38, but certainly not full house mag either.

I have walked a lot of miles alongside revolvers, (documented 1000 one summer long ago in Shenandoah NP) and a K carries far easier than an L by a long shot. A Ruger Six series would be ideal also. I'd also opt for stainless, which is a bit more forgiving if you dunk it, sweat on it, or fail to wipe it down after a walkabout. There's something to be said for fixed sights too. An adjustable rear is nice, but somewhat vulnerable. A lot of tiny parts there, and a pretty thin leaf too. I trashed one over the course of about 15 yrs carrying revolvers and getting paid for it. Not abuse, just circumstances coming together to render a blow to the sight and .....busted leaf.

Thus I'm thinking a S&W 65 or a Ruger speed Six, both stainless as mentioned.

I wouldn't worry too much about having to shoot poisonous snakes when afield, although I will not tolerate them around my place or camp. I also am leery about meeting one in Spring Gobbler season before daylight, but my walking stick works pretty good for that if I intend to frequent a certain place before dawn. Otherwise they get a pass.

Otherwise they get a pass.

Those forked-tongued things that crawl around on their bellies with no arms or legs, hiding in the bushes; anxious to put some poison in me from their slimy fangs better hope it's you instead of me crossing their path. St. Patrick didn't give them any free passes and neither do I.

If it wasn't for this evil abomination, there's a good chance we'd all be cavorting in the Garden of Eden instead of wrestling everyday with the consequences of sin. The only good snake is a very dead one.

Don't get me wrong, i like snakes. A great deal actually, nearly as much as I like dogs. But, in the same way I don't kill every dog feral dog that crosses my path (most get half of my water and whatever snack I've packed for the hike) I'll only shoot aggressive snakes. We used to kill aggressive cotton mouths with fishing poles as kids, but I'm a bit older and wiser now.

I know you've decided on a Model 13; I have one and it's a reasonable choice. But for versatility, let me get this off my chest.....

S&W 4" 686.

I don't know how many times I've​ posted that on the Internet.

Put me down for the K Frame.

Model 10 or if you want stainless Model 64, if you don't need 357s, but if you think there might want to try 357s the Model 13/65.

I like the fix sight, heavy barrel 4 in K frames.

I use cast bullets exclusively in my revolvers. Lead can be had for nothing and once you have a supply of brass you can shoot them cheaper then you can 22s.

You get where you can handle/shoot those guns there just about isn't any thing you cant do with one.

Personally I don't like to shoot 38s in a 357. I shoot a lot of 357s so I want a heavy revolver designed for 357, not a 38 that can occasionally shoot 357s. My choice there would be the N Frame, 28/27. But I'm in the minority there.

When you talk about packing around a 38/357, I think a 4" gp100 for mostly 357 loads or a 4" M13/M19 if mostly 38's. Both can shoot 357's, but the GP100 will be more enjoyable.

7A78F93E-893F-4FB0-8566-6B34B69BB889_zpsbwtc7nqb.jpg

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, i like snakes. A great deal actually, nearly as much as I like dogs. But, in the same way I don't kill every dog feral dog that crosses my path (most get half of my water and whatever snack I've packed for the hike) I'll only shoot aggressive snakes.

All snakes are feral. I shoot snakes when they're sleeping. All snakes are aggressive if you step on one. To include snakes when discussing dogs as though they are somehow the same is blasphemy. Snakes hiss with a forked tongue. Dogs lick my face in a wrong-placed adoration.

All dogs go to heaven. All snakes go to hell. I cross paths with a snake, it goes straight to hell. If it's my good fortune to encounter a dog on the trail, it gets a treat and a pat on the head. Sorry, HALL,AUSTIN, imo, people who "like snakes", especially "a great deal", simply can't be trusted. :)

My recommendation is still a Smith & Wesson Model 686 Plus, with a 4" long barrel-stuffed with seven rounds of .357 Magnums, full to the hilt with snake dispatching shot pellets. ;)

This discussion seems to be bordering on a forbidden topic: Religion. :D

Heaven and hell hath no fury like a moderator. ;)

Hopefully, those off-topic comments were in jest. We should keep this about the relative merits of revolvers that would be worth considering for Austin Hall.

Hard to beat a good Smith Model 19...power in a reasonably sized package with a grip that's about as good as it gets for most of us. Load it with .38 Spl. level performance rounds and even a kid or small handed woman can shoot it with pleasure, or load it up with full house magnums for defensive use on the trail or near-in shots at deer from a stand. With LSWC, gas checked bullets, mine has shot clear through a KY whitetail at 35 yds; and left a blood trial easily followed for another 30 yds.

And don't worry about shooting it loose with heavy rounds, unless you go in for the shooting games that consume 200 rounds a week, and all magnums at that. WIth 125 gr JHP's, or heavier, it's as close to a one-shot stopping gun you'll ever find. Here's mine. Rod

Hopefully, those off-topic comments were in jest. We should keep this about the relative merits of revolvers that would be worth considering for Austin Hall.

Yeah, some of my comments were in jest (we don't always have to be so starchy when it comes to discussing guns), but, to be fair, it was HALL,AUSTIN (the op) who first brought up the topic of snakes:

"...my most honest concern would be snakes..."
"...I'll shoot a lot more targets than snakes (I hope)..."
"...If I ever need it for defense it'll be closer to 5 feet for snakes..."
"...I'll only shoot aggressive snakes..."

So, HALL,AUSTIN, all jesting aside :o, how important to you is the type of finish (blued/nickel/stainless steel) when it comes to "the relative merits of revolvers"? I'm a big advocate of s/s for guns seeing a lot of outdoor use.

Back