Good general purpose revolver?

About any 4" barreled 357 will be a good choice. I own 2 Security Six's, a model 65 stainless steel, two GP-100s a 4 and 6' version and a model 28. also in 38 special a model 15.

Those work for me as a general purpose gun. I reload and like KraigWy I pretty much just shoot lead bullets. I like to use a 357 case with a 158gr lead bullet powered by 6.6grs of Unique. Thats a good mid range load that gets 1100+ fps from a 4" barrel. That should do for anything I am likely needing to shoot.

I shot one medium sized goat with that load. Just as I shot he took off and I ended up hitting him in the back of the left leg. The bullet went all the way through goat and exited in the right shoulder. He took one step more and dropped dead. The shoulder blade had a perfect 36 caliber hole in it.

And I too like snakes and don't like to kill them just because they are there. Instead of shooting them maybe carry one of these with you one the trail.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1152516042/cold-steel-sjambok-impact-tool-kraton-black

http://www.coldsteel.com/products/other-cold-steel-products/54.html?___SID=U

Finish type isn't that important. I like the looks of a blued revolver but for its uses I wouldn't be opposed to stainless.

How about a Dan Wesson ? I have both the Model 12 and Model 15.
Dan's are good,,,no,,,make that great!!,,guns.

There's just one tiny issue I can see with a Dan.

They have the same "feeling trigger " as a Ruger.

The OP has already voiced his displeasure with a Ruger Six series, so, its safe to pretty much figure if he really didn't like the Ruger - he's not going to care for something that feels like a Ruger - including another Ruger (GP or SP)

It wouldn't be anything new. I think it was well answered in the first couple replies. I wouldn't count on +p 38 though, because it doesn't say that on the barrel. A 4" barrel model 19 would be my pick, although mine has been opened up for lead bullets.

S&W K frame
+ best trigger feeling and weight
+ nice shooting grips if you get target grips or similar aftermarket grips
+ generally well finished if made in the 70's

Ruger GP100
+ strongest frame
+ heavier for recoil control

Both are very accurate for me.

Actually Ruger doesn't make anything comparable to a K-frame. The GP100 matches up more closely to an L-frame like a 586/686.

Correct on Ruger not making a K-frame sized revolver.

The GP 100 corresponds to the L-frame 586/686 and uses the same
speed loaders with leather pretty much interchangeable. Even the
weights are about the same.

What S&W frame does the SP101 match up with? It is a lot smaller than the GP100 and then there is the LCR - What is the Equivalent S&W for that?

Not that the same size frame tells anything about the relative strength of the gun but it does matter to some for the weight of carry.

SP101 is a fine revolver, I have the 3". But, if going for 4" which is getting into the hard to conceal range, I'd go for a GP100 to get the better sights.

As others have pointed out, the SP101 is still a significantly smaller gun. While the GP100 is comparable to an L-frame, the SP101 is actually smaller than a K-frame (the next size down). It's just a little bigger than the J-frame.

The longer barrel can work against concealment. However, it definitely accentuates the relatively slender look and feel of the gun. With a good pair of Hogue hardwood grips, the 4" model balances very well. Also, the .327 Federal version is a six-shooter and that pairs nicely with the sleek motif.

Actually Ruger doesn't make anything comparable to a K-frame. The GP100 matches up more closely to an L-frame like a 586/686.

Personally, I find them much more comparable than you do having shot them side by side.

For a general-purpose "do most anything" revolver, I recommend a SP101 3" in .357 Mag. It's small enough for concealed carry, but large enough to handle magnum loads comfortably. I use mine for everything from CC to anti-snake duty (with CCI Shot shells) doing yard work. And ballistics from a 3" barrel are close to 4" barrel performance. Can't praise it enough.

I have both guns! Some holster makers make one Holster for both. Like you, I can see the 19 is smaller in almost any dimension.

I was saying that things like aiming, shooting and recoil feel similar, but I may not be sensitive enough.

What ever you want as to maker.
I have a M15 and RSS. love both the M15 came first then about five years later the RSS.

Keep it a .357Mag., then you can use .38 Spls for plinking and practising.

Ruger GP-100. 3 incher like this:
attachment.php

Deaf

Back