Good general purpose revolver?

HALLAUSTIN

I'd like something in the 4-5 inch barrel range. It'll be a couple months before I can purchase another pistol but I figured I'd try to find what I'm looking for then save up. No big animals aside from black bears (generally very passive) most honest concern would be snakes or feral aggressive dogs. I'd like to carry this one only while hiking or fishing but I'd also like a pleasant range pistol. Leaning towards .38/.357 due to ammo cost and availability. I feel a 38spl would be up to the job, I like the option of .357 but a .38 wouldn't be a deal breaker. So far I'm thinking either a model 19 or a 4" sp101, very open to other ideas. I appreciate you taking the time to read this.

If used is an option, there seems to be a flood of used Model 10 old police trade-ins on the market. In good shape, that 38 will serve you well. Your other two are also good choices. If you like Rugers a lot, you might also look for the forerunner series of Speed Six and Security Six.

SP101 is a fine revolver, I have the 3". But, if going for 4" which is getting into the hard to conceal range, I'd go for a GP100 to get the better sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me, "General Purpose" = "as versatile as possible". IMO, that means a service-sized 6-shot .357mag with a 3-4" barrel and adjustable sights. Lots of choices there, but my preference would be a S&W L- (586/686) or K-frame (19/66), or a GP100.

Your idea of choosing a 357 Magnum is good. After that, it's a question of whether to go with a double-action revolver or single-action revolver. Some of us strongly prefer the single-action and others, the double-action, while some folks like both. Try to get some trigger-time on both before you decide. If you were me, you would be trying to choose between the Ruger New Vaquero and the Ruger Blackhawk. But you are not me, so you might insist on a double-action. In that case, I would simply say that Smith and Wesson, along with Ruger, are industry leaders; you should probably choose one of those on the recommendations of those who would know better than I.

Last edited:
Used is definitely an option. I once owned a 4" speed six but I sold it, wasn't a fan of the trigger at all. I'll shoot a lot more targets than snakes (I hope) and concealed carry isn't a big concern.This will mainly be an open carry kind of thing. The trails we go to aren't very populated nor are the rivers or streams I fish. I used to bring my glock19 and never felt "under gunned". I'll take a look at those model 10s. Also I've owned a couple single actions: 45colt/45acp blackhawk and a 22lr/mag single six and a couple double actions: model28-2 and a speed six. I feel either would fit my needs, budget would be preferably under $800, would spend more if I had to but would not be opposed to something like a well worn in police trade in, while the option of .357 is a nice addition I feel well covered by some +p .38s and a can of bear mace.

Last edited:
If you get a 357 you will most likely be like the rest of us and shoot 38 specials 90% of the time. The model 10 is an excellent choice. I have one on my watch list now on GB. But the best model 10 is the model 15. Its nothing more than a model 10 with a tapered barrel and adjustable sights. IMHO it is one of the very best trail guns you can get. And if you reload you won't be stuck with the wimpy loads that are sold now as 38 specials.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/650108551

Bad looking painted sights but I bet it would clean off. There are several listed for under $400 if you look.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Revolvers/BI.aspx?Keywords=model+15&mo=3001880

To me, "General Purpose" = "as versatile as possible". IMO, that means a service-sized 6-shot .357mag with a 3-4" barrel and adjustable sights. Lots of choices there, but my preference would be a S&W L- (586/686) or K-frame (19/66), or a GP100.
That's just about how I would have answered the question, except that I would have added "double action" and "swing out cylinder".

Ruger GP-100 in a 4" barrel is a superb handgun, but heavy. Likewise a Taurus 66, which is a clone of the S&W Model 66. A very well-crafted pistol at a much better price range is the Rossi Model 97 (http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=140&category=1&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=). The benefit of the .38 Special/.357 Magnum gun is that you can train forever on .38 Specials, and load .357's when headed into the woods for either 2- or 4-legged critter defense.

Snakes aren't even on my radar. If I see one there is no reason to shoot it, just step around it. It is the ones you don't see that'll get you and there is still no reason to shoot it.

I think you're on the right track and would much prefer the S&W K frame over the L frame or Ruger GP. The Ruger SP is a good gun, but I don't want to give up the 6th shot. The GP and L frame Smiths are good guns, but heavier than they need to be.

I will mention one K-frame S&W you might consider simply because they are often undervalued: the S&W Model 13. You would have .357 capability and it is quite possible that a very nice Model 13 can be found for less than $400.00.

There are a lot of good choices you are fortunate enough to have in this genre of handguns. My pick would be the Smith & Wesson Model 686 Plus, with a 4" long barrel: a s/s, seven-shot revolver chambered in .357 Magnum that comes with a very nice adjustable rear sight, a superb trigger pull and a life-time warranty from a company with a very good customer service record.

Nothing against the Rugers but I'm a S&W fan. For what you want my choice would be a K frame. I'm a big fan of the model 19 and 66 as those are my favorites. I have owned an L frame and do own N frames, but I prefer the K.

I'd lean towards a .357 just for the versatility of being able to fire .38 Spl.

I'm going to suggest a slightly different path. Look at a S&W 627. Nice stout N-frame to soak up recoil and handle a lot of heavy magnum loads with ease. 8 rounds of either .38sp or .357mag, great trigger and sights. The only drawback is weight, it is a heavy framed revolver. But with the right holster and belt it carries OWB fairly comfortably. If I could only keep one revolver this would unquestionably be it. And I have some pretty nice Smith's, but this is the most versatile one and just plain nice to shoot no matter what the load.

The newer GP100s have reasonably good triggers and make excellent "everything" guns. I would recommend a 357 because it allows you more choices for ammo. You can shoot 38s or light 357s if you reload but if you are buying factory ammo you can choose anything from target wadcutters to 357 magnum. A lot of people use 38s in their 357s and, although I have rarely done so, it is always an option.
For open carry the 4 to 6 inch barrel is not too much weight to carry and even carrying concealed has never been a concern for me. If the ammo is available in your area you might want to look at the newer 32 caliber guns, including the 32 magnums. Again it gives you options when you buy the magnum.
In my area the 32 is not popular enough to find cheap ammo if you can find it at all but the 357 and 38 is readily available at most places selling ammo and guns. I would recommend the Ruger over the S&W just because the Ruger is stronger. With very hard use it will last for three generations and keep on giving good accuracy. I would also recommend stainless steel because you never have to worry about the bluing wearing off. They seem to get nicer with age.

I'll second, third or forth the GP100 ... a most excellent firearm. Some stout 38+P rounds that yielded a lot of recoil in my Taurus 85 felt very light in the 4" GP100.

Easy choice for me, I had the gun that would worke well for you. Colt Diamond back with a 4" barrel. On of the best handgun's I've ever owned. It used to come in 22 LR and 38 spec. I'd like to see one in 32 Long but don't think that will ever happen!

I have a mod 16 S&W in 32 long but 6" barrel. I don't worry much about the extra 2". I've also got a S&W K22 combat masterpiece. Really nice gun but that 6" barrel. I like my mod 16 better. Maybe it's because I load for it and my High Standard HD Military out shoot's it. Not for sale! Actually none of my gun's are for sale!

Back