Garand Thumb - Facts and Myths

I have no idea what they called the rifle in WWII. My dad used the '03A3 in basic and later qualified expert with the BAR. When I'm back home we have better things to talk about than what they called their service rifles then.

I was talking about pinching your thumb when you poke it into an action that hasn't been properly locked back. That was called M1 thumb when it was first described to me. The guy who told me about it wasn't a WWII vet, so maybe it doesn't count? :confused:

I do believe you won't get a M1, M14, M1a, or Garand thumb if you properly lock the bolt back before poking around inside an empty mag well or if you hold your thumb firmly on the top round and then pull it away smartly upon removal. At least no M1 I've handled would let the bolt fly home while my thumb was pressed down on the top cartridge. Having the back of your hand pressed against the bolt handle is added insurance.

Just relating my experience and couldn't care less when we started calling that particular rifle a Garand. I also don't worry about how to pronounce "Garand". I'm sure if he was alive he'd butcher my last name if he tried so I'll consider us even. :)

LOL!! According to Garand's descendants, and Julian Hatcher, the family name rhymed with "errand." (See wikipedia.)

Actually, it was Americanized when the family moved to the U.S. from Canada. (Garand was born in Canada.)

It is a very common name in France and Quebec, and is pronounced entirely different than any American pronunciation.:D (More like "gair-aw" with no specific accent.)

Also, in the early 60s when I was in mandatory ROTC in college, it was called "M1 thumb," as if hours of marching with that 9 pound anchor in the nice hot, humid Florida sun wasn't punishment enough.

The rifle was known as the Garand before, during and after WWII.

It was referred to as the M1, it's military designation.

And you will not get the "full smash" Garand/M1 thumb from loading it, only while doing something stupid with an empty magazine and open bolt.

Them's the facts. The facts, and notin' but the facts.

All Thumbs

"Garand Thumb" is real. I've seen it. It's also like lowering a hammer on a hot chamber. It can be done safely if done correctly. I've handled and fired a lot of Garands over the years, and my thumbs are fine.

When loading the clip or depressing the follower to let the bolt go home, place the back edge of your little finger into the curvature of the charge handle and keep it there while using your thumb. Depress/load until the bolt is released...and roll your hand forward and up. If your pinky is short, use the ring finger. Simple as that.

Most Garands that I've handled don't release the bolt suddenly when seating a clip. The majority of them won't go home at all until the charge handle is helped along after the clip seats.

Most Garands that I've handled don't release the bolt suddenly when seating a clip. The majority of them won't go home at all until the charge handle is helped along after the clip seats.

Ah, but there's always that one...:D

:) Hi all

I would like to point out again that the premise is not that "M1 thumb" is not a real thing. That's not the idea that was presented. Nobody has posted that M1 Thumb is a myth

There's always one time where the blot isn't locked back fully or your just not paying attention to what your doing, I even got garand thumb from my m1a(m14) one time, you don't forget it and it can turn your thumb and your language beautiful colors.

Timing

1911Tuner wrote
Most Garands that I've handled don't release the bolt suddenly when seating a clip.

If they don't release with a full clip, they have a timing problem.

https://www.standardpartsllc.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=109

g-sp0028.jpg

I remember the worst case of M1 grand carbine thumb I ever had was when I was shooting an 03 A3. Turns out when you close the bolt with your right hand, you should make sure you left hand's fingers are clear of the breech!

I remember the worst case of M1 grand carbine thumb I ever had was when I was shooting an 03 A3. Turns out when you close the bolt with your right hand, you should make sure you left hand's fingers are clear of the breech!

have to call that one something besides M1 thumb though. How about "Springfinger"?

Hey kids, I was just mocking this whole thread! I was kidding!

Anyways, there is another gun that could really tear off a finger or three...

...the Egyptian Hakim. I don't have any kind of a story about it, because after I let it close once, I was extremely careful thereafter. It got my imagination going on what damage it could do. Anyone ever get their finger caught by one?

Actually, on another gun forum a guy did tell me, and he was not just BSing, that he did somehow manage to get a finger in the action on a 1903A3 and did himself a big disservice.

Back