Garand Thumb - Facts and Myths

Darn it guys, here I was, just getting used to the idea of calling my M-1 Carbine a "Williams" or "Johnson", and now we're back to the Garand idea. I'm just glad I didn't throw out my manuals from the CMP for the M-1 or the Carbine. Call it what you want to; it'll always just be an "M-1" or "Carbine" to me.

Attachments

• M1 and Carbine manuals.jpg
    M1 and Carbine manuals.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for the info, guys, I've been sitting back waiting for all this "noise" to clear so as to be able to communicate without sounding ignorant. I think those who carried these into battle have the right to call them anything they want. It seems that I am stil safe in saying, "That's my M-1 Garand" and thanking God for having IT and the knowing men who carried them into battle.

My opinion of the man himself is that he was a genius and that his rifle was what was needed to help the U.S. win over the Axis powers; I have nothing but the highest regard for him, though I only met him one time for a few minutes.

That's impressive and a rare privilege.

I dealt with a man in the 70s who worked with Garand, and, apparently knew him well enough to be invited to his home to watch his ice skating. The particular gentleman I knew ended up working as a consultant to Savage in the production of Thompsons, and came up with a brilliantly simple idea to bore barrels concentrically. (Apparently, Savage had problems with barrels being bored off center in the early days.)

Meeting THE MAN himself, though, is a real feather in your cap, Jim.

Perhaps I should not have mentioned it, as I cannot claim to have "known" Mr. Garand. I was introduced to him at an AOA convention in Washington (about 1958) by an ordnance colonel I knew pretty well. I do recall that the colonel pronounced his name as "Gar' und" with the first syllable like "Gary", and Mr. Garand didn't correct him, so I always assumed that was the right pronunciation, something that seems to be always in question. He seemed like a nice fellow. We shook hands, I said something like "Very pleased to meet you", and he said something about the same, and we went our separate ways. We didn't discuss the finer points of rifle design or what some part of his rifle was intended to do.

Jim

Back to the Garand name...

Please watch the military's training videos, made during WWII....they refer to the rifle as the Garand.

I see little point in debating the obvious, but...FWIW.

There you go.

I made a phone call. To my grandad. He joined the corp in sept. 1939. He retired in 1972. According to him, in bootcamp he was trained with "the springfield". When he reported to his first ship, he carried the 1911. When he went to the infantry in july 1942 he was issued "the Garand". All I can say is, he would know what the Corp called it.

It doesn't matter at this late date. Its like the .45 Colt vs .45 Long Colt debate. If I say Garand, or .45 Long Colt, most everyone knows what I'm referring too and only a few will quibble about the accuracy and authenticity of it.

"I like Garands you load 'em with those springy do-jiggers." "I wish it used clips like muh .45" -random clod Don't waste time correcting this guy, cause wasting time and/or breath is all you're doing.:D

The invincibly ignorant will never be able to be corrected...

But, watch the training films the Army made during World War II.

Note, for example, the film made in 1943. Take note of that date.

Then, note that Gen. MacArthur refers to it as "the Garand rifle."

Then, note the narrator refers to it as the M1 .30 Caliber, "commonly known as the Garand."

And so forth and so on.

Case closed.

Let the ignorant remain ignorant.

:)

Also, please note how the word "Garand" is pronounced when referring to the rifle. "Guh-rand" with second syllable emphasized.

John Garand's name, however, was pronounced: "Gerh-end" emphasis on first syllable, this is well documented in Julian Hatcher's definitive work on the Garand.

Familiar with that book?

Julian S. Hatcher, The Book of the Garand, Washington, Infantry Journal Press, 1947 [Riling 2645]

What's that? Hatcher calls it a Garand?

What did he know? He was just the guy largely responsible for getting the Garand through the whole R&D, development and production cycle for years.

Another stupid person, I guess, who just doesn't know what he is talking about?

:cool:

But, watch the training films the Army made during World War II.

Note, for example, the film made in 1943. Take note of that date.

Then, note that Gen. MacArthur refers to it as "the Garand rifle."

Then, note the narrator refers to it as the M1 .30 Caliber, "commonly known as the Garand."

Please, please, please don't make me sit thru those d.... govt. videos again. :( I've seem them all too many times, and like alot of what the govt. puts out, I believe less than 100% of it. Of course, as Gen. McArther carried one for so long, he must be right, right? ;)

If calling it a Guh-rand makes you feel better, then have at it.

Seriously? So much fuss over this? C'mon, guys, let's get out and do a little shooting!

And not at ten paces, either! :eek:

lol^

I think the prevalence of "Garand" comes from the same place as Deagle and PP7

The vidja games.

Im pretty sure it was referred to as the Garand in the old medal of honors and call of duty's.

For what its worth i call it the Garand, and i also say .45 Long Colt. Not because of video games, but because thats the terms my dad used when first describing these things to me at a young age.

The question is, where did he pick it up to pass it on?

Yes, go figure, but it tends to bring the old myths out of the woodwork and proves that in spite of all the facts to the contrary, some people are just determined to keep spreading myths, such as the Garand was never called the Garand by anyone until much later....etc. etc. etc.

:rolleyes:

1Hobie said:
wasn't this about a thumb thingy? :)

Yes. But he went wrong when he called it a Garand thumb instead of a M1 Thumb. ;)

(At least that was what the malady was called when I first learned of it.)

There he goes again.

:rolleyes:

No offense, but frankly, I'll take Julian Hatcher's expertise any day over those claiming the Garand was never referred to as the Garand until much, much later. Just ain't true.

Back