Follow along for my 25 PRC build

Mono's need a rather acute awareness of their performance characteristics relative to the velocity/range you're shooting them at if you use them for hunting. Woodleigh is another manufacturer that has a very good reputation for hunting monos (not entirely copper).

Just got another update from USPS--my barrel has for the fourth time circled back and returned to Utah and delivery estimate has been nixed until this weekend--which I know means next week (USPS doesn't do deliveries on weekends here). I know from past experience the more the package is tossed around in trucks, conveyor belts and piles of waylaid shipments--the higher the probability of damage or loss. I'll call Preferred today. They used Stamps.com--that probably explains it.

Last edited:
BTW--I just received notice from Mile High Shooting that they just got in some Berger 133 gr hunting hybrids--I bought a couple boxes--just in case. : )

All 4 of my quarter bores are 1:10 twist.
You're going to hit the wall with most of the "modern" high BC .25 bullets (sorta like trying to get high performance 223 bullets to work with "traditional" 22-250 barrels). Time to order a new barrel!!

I just got my Shilen barrel for my bench rest build!

Most of my shooting is 400 yards or less.
With the 110gr ELDX & Tipped GameKing. Along with the 115gr Berger VLD, i'm good.

Heard of one guy hitting out to 1,250 yards with the 110gr Sierra.

If you're already getting good results with 115 gr--seems like the 117 Seneca wouldn't be much of problem--except maybe if your chamber doesn't accommodate it without sinking the ogive into the case neck.

Finally got a piece of good news from the USPS today, they finally figured out which way east is and my barrel is hopefully headed in that direction!

Thanks all. I am pretty sure I am going to go with Hornady 143 ELD-X's. They seem to be the best for what I want to do. I have also had really good luck with Sierra tipped boattails in the past. Hopefully they offer something in the 6.5mm range.

Barrel finally made it to the post office. One of the end caps looked like it had been partially pried off, other than that the mailing tube looked to be in good shape and not run over by forklift or used as a tire iron. whew! Got a couple of projects ahead of this one but will get at it asap.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5933.jpg
    IMG_5933.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_5932.jpg
    IMG_5932.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 79
Oh what the heck--here's a quick test fit into an old hogue stock I had lying around, I may put it together this way for the initial break-in while I figure out what stock and trigger I'll eventually end up with.:D

attachment.php

Almost forgot to mention the PVA barrel nut and jet blast brake. PVA--simply superior engineering IMO.

Attachments

• IMG_5934.jpg
    IMG_5934.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5935.jpg
    IMG_5935.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
The brake isn't so much for recoil reduction--I shoot much bigger magnums without brakes regularly--more a question of where that exhaust gas is directed to. Anyways, as much as I would like to use the hogue stock I decided to put the action in my MDT chassis so I can ditch the silly bottom bolt release altogether. I HATE those things!;)

Got impatient, went ahead and did the install of the barrel and fitted to the MDT chassis. The 20 MOA Warne steel rail I picked--said it was for LA 110's-- of course does not fit-- so I have to revert back to a 0 MOA weaver aluminum rail which is barely adequate IMO. Just have to pick a scope and I'll be ready to get the first shots down the bore.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5942.jpg
    IMG_5942.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 75
Back