Follow along for my 25 PRC build

Went out and test fired the lower end ramshot magnum charges today--again very mediocre results, though `I was shooting at only 144 yds--normally I shoot this at at least 225 to 350 yds--but I have to take what I can get. That said--none of the 5 shot groups had an SD of over 12 fps, one was 5 and another was 3.7. Think, most likely, it was simply my poor shooting that accounted for the bad groupings. I'll have to try again.

My 6.5 is shooting great at 61.9 gns of magnum. 1'2 gn under max. That's with a 140gn hornady bthp.

Attachments

• 1031211932.jpg
    1031211932.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 10
I've shot groups at 230 yds that were well under .5 MOA with the same bullet and powder, probably something I did wrong loading the cartridges and/or not the right jump lands, plus I knew I just wasn't shooting well. I'm going to redo these. That is a very impressive group!

PS--the new Nosler 6.5 PRC brass just came in--I'm really looking forward to trying something else than the hornady brass. I necked a couple down with a .281 bushing and the neck tension seems perfect, already a difference between it and the hornady.

Last edited:
I'm fighting with the dies for my 284 Win right now.
RCBS dies. Starting to crack necks.
Seems like the dies are 270-284.

I'm fighting with the dies for my 284 Win right now.
RCBS dies. Starting to crack necks.
Seems like the dies are 270-284.
Straight-up 284? Generally an easy to resize case unless maybe there is a big difference between your chamber and the die, resulting in excessive flow/overwork?

I think both my neck & full length dies, are sizing the neck too small.
I have WAY too much neck tension!

I'll give more detail when i'm downstairs with the micrometer.

I think both my neck & full length dies, are sizing the neck too small.
I have WAY too much neck tension!
One reason I prefer bushing dies, but then I have trouble keeping track of all the bushings between all the dies. :rolleyes: I'd be inclined to see what the difference is with brand-new brass, measure the OD of the case mouth and wall thickness to arrive at what the bullet (should) be gripped at, make a pass through the die and see what has changed, if anything, to isolate if it's strictly a die problem or a problem involving the chamber. (?)

Or just get a Redding bushing die set.:)

I as all set to go shooting today, but the forecast is less than ideal:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 2.50.03 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 2.50.03 AM.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Yeah, it's warmed up to a whopping 24°f here in central PA.
The kids just left for home in Shelbourne, Ontario. (North west of Toronto)

From the latest i've seen, i'll be driving through the worst part of the snow, headed into work, in the upcoming storm. Supposed to turn to ice while at work, then be pretty much over by the time i leave work.
Better than trying to drive in ice!

It ended up warming up to a balmy 8 degrees above zero with windchill of only 15 below zero, I was so curious about the new Nosler brass I had to go out and give it a try.:D I finally got to set up at something a little longer--234 yds, but was shooting directly into the sun. So I ended up using my left hand to shade the ocular with no support for the rifle--the group was about 4" but that doesn't mean anything (gusty winds were still 25 mph+). The Nosler brass performed perfectly right out of the box and neck-down, no rubbery stretch or stiffness in either closing or opening the bolt. I'm happy.

Don't know when I'll get full feeling back in my face.;)

Believe it or not--there's a group of women here on the island that go swimming every day during the winter. Two of them posted they went today--I mean, it was barely above zero and windchill was nearly 20 below--I don't see how that's possible without almost instantaneous hypothermia.:eek::eek::eek:

Back