Follow along for my 25 PRC build

Eh, wasn't a win or lose with me.
It just is, what it is.

I've loaded 7mm SAUM for a Remington Model 7 before that due to the magazine length, i couldn't even get to 2.80". Throat was short too.

3,100-3,200 fps with the 135s?
That's cook'n right along there!
What powder are you planning on using for that kind of speed? (Although you've probably already said. Darn Oldstimers!!)

Expected barrel life at those velocities?

3,100-3,200 fps with the 135s?
That's cook'n right along there!
What powder are you planning on using for that kind of speed? (Although you've probably already said. Darn Oldstimers!!)
I haven't even built the rifle yet--so it may be wishful thinking, but after creating an approximation of the 25 PRC in quick load it looks like it is a reasonable target. I've plugged in the powders I've found mentioned and am starting with ramshot magnum--it's a predictable and reliable powder in my experience. I'm also taking a close look at VV's N560 which looks quite promising.

Hey stag,

Have you ever used that powder load generator from Hodgdon?? I have it bookmarked on my iPad and laptop. I used it to get the "belched power" load from my WSM. I don't know how they are with wildcats yet, as I haven't dug into too many of them yet. But if the reloading manuals you can buy off the shelves have them, Hodgdon might very well have them, too.

The only limiting factor is the umbrella of their powder makers. They bought a few of the competitors, but there are still some that they don't have on there. Give it a try.

What is this Quick Load you mention? Where can I find it?

Hey stag,

Have you ever used that powder load generator from Hodgdon?? I have it bookmarked on my iPad and laptop. I used it to get the "belched power" load from my WSM. I don't know how they are with wildcats yet, as I haven't dug into too many of them yet. But if the reloading manuals you can buy off the shelves have them, Hodgdon might very well have them, too.

The only limiting factor is the umbrella of their powder makers. They bought a few of the competitors, but there are still some that they don't have on there. Give it a try.

What is this Quick Load you mention? Where can I find it?
Are you referring to Hogdon's load data resource? I do use it but at times have found them to stray into the "wild side" occasionally--which is why I also use Quickload. Do a google for it and it should come right up for you. I can't imagine reloading without Quickload and labradar now, but that's just me and I know plenty of reloaders get along fine without them.

Last edited:
Just received an update from USPS that my barrel has successfully traveled a whopping 40 miles as of today since it was sent on Friday, supposedly will be delivered tomorrow but I'm willing to bet it won't be. :(

Hence why they call it snail mail....

You might want to check out the Vihtavouri N160.
Will slow your velocities some, but supposedly a "cooler flame" to help with the throat errosion.

Even if it's pushed at 3,000 or 2,900 fps, with the Blackjack corrected G7 at 0.330, should do you plenty fine at long distance.

I'm still going back & forth between the 7mm, 195gr Berger and the 197gr Sierra for an ELR build.

I did look at N160, I have some, but it seems pretty fast compared to what I find people are using--it looks like it would be a "tricky" one to watch out for quickly ramping up pressures, but I don't know. I also have some VV N555, another new powder of their's.

As for my personal "hot" 7mm cartridge--the 7mm STW--I shoot 183 MK's and 190 Bergers out of it--the Sierras I've had better luck with so far in target punching accuracy but haven't taken it out past 350 yds so far.

I maintain a stable of rifles in various cartridges for a hunting family--the one rifle that comes back from a hunt with a story of "I swear the bullet hit him in a vital spot, but he ran off" is the 7mm RUM--twice now, as a matter of fact. I've looked the rifle over and shot it can't find a thing wrong with it, other than possibly the factory ammo they are using tends to be smaller bullets--which in my opinion are either too small, too fast or too lightly constructed for anything other than ELR hunting.

Stag I went to Colorado elk hunting with a guy who said his 7mm RUM wouldn't shoot anything over 140gn pills. I but loads together with rl25 and a speer 175gn pill. At a 1/2 gn under max it shot a dime size group for him.

I'll agree with Sako2.
The speed the RUM generates needs a heavier, more stoutly built bullet.
I'd probabably start with 175gr Accubond or Partition.

Most average hunters do not reload--so they buy off-the-shelf stuff. I would personally load a large bullet "watered down" in powder charge knowing what distance they are likely going to shoot at--and for most of the hunting public that rarely exceeds 2 or 3 hundred yds--unless you're out west or in Africa plains. But then you run into the twist rate issue for your barrel. Partitions are one of my all-time favorites, but it seems like ammo manufacturers are phasing them out of their production gradually for cheaper bullets.

Meanwhile...tracking info on my priority shipping package has gone dead, which increasingly is the rule, not the exception, with most shipping services these days in the US. Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's not lost or damaged in transit.

117 gr Patriot Valley Arms "Seneca" solid. This is not your grandfather's 25 cal.;)
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5929.jpg
    IMG_5929.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
No, no they are not....

Please do let me know how those things shoot!

I need to get hold of the guys at Hammer and see what they can come up with in the form of an Absolute Target Hammer. Lol

That & run up the road to Cutting Edge and see what they can come up with.
If i could get a 100gr solid that performs like their MTH, i'd be happy.

Stag,

Do tell me about these 25 cal pills you posted a picture of. Have you had good luck with solid copper stuff in the past? How much have you used them?? Are they ok for waffling varmints, or will the governing bobbleheads lose their collective minds over it??

Do they behave considerably differently than jacketed lead with a poly or soft metal tip??

Would you suggest I look at this Patriot Valley Arms for my future loading components, too?

Stag,

Do tell me about these 25 cal pills you posted a picture of. Have you had good luck with solid copper stuff in the past? How much have you used them?? Are they ok for waffling varmints, or will the governing bobbleheads lose their collective minds over it??

Do they behave considerably differently than jacketed lead with a poly or soft metal tip??

Would you suggest I look at this Patriot Valley Arms for my future loading components, too?
Bullets like this are a single-purpose use--match accuracy. Solids typically need some kind of built-in mechanism for making them open up, split etc to be useful for hunting. PVA does make a hunting version of their bullets. When it comes to hunting--I'm not much of a hunter so I can't really make sound recommendations based on my personal experience results. There are plenty of real hunters on this forum and I would direct this question to them. Cutting Edge is another manufacturer that is known for making hunting versions of their well-regarded solids.

Just received an update from the USPS on my barrel. After being inducted and shipped last Friday from their center in Utah--it was successfully shipped to the same center and received at the same center on Sunday. On Sunday it left that center and was in transit to the next destination--the same center, where it arrived this evening. Is this a great country, or what?

Last edited:
Bornfighting88,

No, monos don't really perform like lead core bullets.
Barnes bullets are designed with 4 petals that peel back, expanding the frontal area, but otherwise normally stay intact.

Hammer and Cutting Edge have petals that open, then shear off after 1-3 inches. The petals continue forward while radiating outwards. While the jagged edged base continues forwards. They create essentially 5+ wound channels.

I'm not sure how the PVA & Peregrine bullets are designed to operate.

Wish we could get some Peregrines here in the US to play with!

Back