Follow along for my 25 PRC build

With the price of primers now you most likely do. Anyone that has them under 15 cents a primers don't have any.
I'm about to run out of some of my most important powders--and after 2 years there's been little change in the availability (lack thereof) for primers. I'm thinking this could go on indefinitely, so there's an obtuse logic that it might be better to buy factory ammo now.

Finally got a trace put out by Fedex and they found the 135 gr Berger bullets somewhere in Connecticut--so presumably they will make it to me soon. I already ordered "back-up" from Midway and PVA so it looks like I'll have plenty of bullets--probably last the life expectancy of the barrel.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease--my 135 hybrids showed up today after I got a trace put on the shipment. Up until as recently as a couple years ago I would have never imagined a bullet like this in .257:)

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5914.jpg
    IMG_5914.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 190
Very good questions--very little info out in the wild from what I'v been able to find. Slow burners like Retumbo I've seen mentioned--as well as RE 22, 26 and H1000. Also seen mention of 7828. Seems like there remains some debate as to what "ideal" powders for the cartridge are and how they behave.

Out of the ones you mentioned you will probably only find 7828. Ramshot magnum should work. Are you going use 6.5 prc data to start with? I've seen the 4831's used. I couldn't get my es and sd # good with magpro in the 6.5 prc.

Out of the ones you mentioned you will probably only find 7828. Ramshot magnum should work. Are you going use 6.5 prc data to start with? I've seen the 4831's used. I couldn't get my es and sd # good with magpro in the 6.5 prc.
I have lots of 7828, some Retumbo and plenty of magnum and magpro as well. What little I could find on the 25 PRC suggests that what works well with the 6.5 might not for the 25. Still a relatively new cat with scant load info out in the wild. Probably going to have to do some telephone sleuthing--but I rather enjoy that with firearms concerns since we almost always get into long discussions which are great ways of gathering data for me.:)

BTW, received a message from preferred barrel blanks that my barrel is nearing the end of production. I must say I really appreciate their periodic updates as to where the barrel is in the production process, most others will politely tell you some version of "you'll get it when you get it." :D

Last edited:
Case capacity should be around 68.5gr of water.

You may want to inquire about loads on a couple of other forums.
Accurate Shooter (6BR) forum, as well as Long Range Hunter. Ballistic Studies also, though they have different designations than the powder numbers we are used to.
I know guys on both forums shooting the 25PRC.

Case capacity should be around 68.5gr of water.

You may want to inquire about loads on a couple of other forums.
Accurate Shooter (6BR) forum, as well as Long Range Hunter. Ballistic Studies also, though they have different designations than the powder numbers we are used to.
I know guys on both forums shooting the 25PRC.
Thanks for that 7mag, I've looked at all those forums too and have gleaned useful info--it seems to me that of those willing to post their results they are all "feeling things out" and there appears to be a bit of divergence between those that are focusing on 1,000 yd comps--and the rest of the shooters. I can only get out to a max of around 400 yds where I shoot, but I am principally interested in the higher BC blackjack, Berger and PVA bullets; it's also why I went with a long action and BDM to let me "stretch things out." I just loaded a few test cartridges with the 135 Bergers using ramshot magnum, even at a COL of 2.955 those bullets are seated pretty deep from what I can tell, but I don't have my barrel yet to get an actual chamber measure so I thought I'd start "conservative."

The issue with the 25 vs the 6.5, as far as I can make it, is that the burn characteristics in the two cases are not necessarily transferable because of the "large volume stubbiness" of the case being necked down to a small diameter caliber. There seems to be quite a speed spread in powders I've seen mentioned used in the 25 PRC from slow big-magnum powders to faster stuff.

Last edited:
25 PRC loaded with ram magnum and Berger 135 gr hybrid. Now all I need is a rifle.;)

attachment.php

iPhone distortion--the case does not actually bulge towards the base like that.

Attachments

• IMG_5916.jpg
    IMG_5916.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Interesting on the COAL of your cartridges!
I just did a ladder test with 120gr Partitions with RL19 in my 257 Roberts AI last weekend.
COAL 2.935" for 0.020" off the lands.

I have enough of the 115gr Berger VLDs to load the 257 Roberts for hunting. But not enough to do load development for the AI.

I really wish Berger would do a Hybrid in 115gr!

Interesting on the COAL of your cartridges!
I just did a ladder test with 120gr Partitions with RL19 in my 257 Roberts AI last weekend.
COAL 2.935" for 0.020" off the lands.

I have enough of the 115gr Berger VLDs to load the 257 Roberts for hunting. But not enough to do load development for the AI.

I really wish Berger would do a Hybrid in 115gr!
I think the PRC was designed as a "wink wink" short action action--maybe to make extra money in AR platform, who knows, but realistically I think it needs to be in a long action to really exploit its potential. As for your desire of a 115 hybrid that can also be used for hunting, take a look at these by PVA.

Oh, i've looked hard at the bullets from PVA, and Peregrine.

Unfortunately, with my 1:10 twist barrels i'm stuck with 90gr or less Mono bullets.

There is just something about short, fat rounds with steep shoulders and a small bullet in relation to the diameter of the case that makes me get all warm and fuzzy inside.

I am itching for that 6.5 PRC project of mine to come back from the Smithy, and then there is my 300 WSM that just belches power!!!

300 WSM that just belches power!!!
Nothing like a cartridge that belches!:D:D

I have a 270 WSM and it's nice--I think the idea behind the PRC is sorta like what the 6.8/270 western is to the 270 WSM; knock the shoulder back a bit so you gain more room for the longer higher BC bullets.

There is just something about short, fat rounds with steep shoulders and a small bullet in relation to the diameter of the case that makes me get all warm and fuzzy inside.
I call it "PPC syndrome"--the grand-daddy of the laser-beam fat boys. LOL

Last edited:
Back