FN-49 Owner's Room

I will have an Egyptian FN-49 by the end of the week. I just hope that the same thing doesn't occur with FN-49s that occurred with Garands, 1903s, and FALs.:p

FN-49

Had a 7X57 when I was a teen ager. I believe it was Venezuelan with compensator/flash hider. Shot like a .22lr. Everyone liked it but good cheap ammo was hard to come by so I traded it. There was cheap 7mm but it was not good.
Had the same trouble later with a mauser short rifle that I liked. Only ammo I could find was from the 1920s and was fmj round nose with many misfires and tumbling flyers when they did. There were some yellow burning tracers in one bunch I got that were not marked. That was an unpleasant surprise. Seems like there is more 7X57 available now but I am off that band wagon.

Oh, I get it, I don't really have that problem due to the fact that I have yet to figure out how to get my money to multiply as if by magic.

FN49s

I have been collecting these for awhile. Here's a pic
7mm Ven
30/06 Lux
308 Arg
8mm Egyptian
30/06 Colombian

I put HK flash hiders on the 30 cals as is and one on the 8mm bored a little

Someone had enquired about the FN49 book, I have it also. If there's something someone wants to reference, let me know via PM.

Attachments

• FN49s.jpg
    FN49s.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 340
FN-49 in 6.5X55...

Hey guys...How much is a FN-49 in the rare 6.5X55 worth? From what I have read there were only 5 or so of these ever produced... :D

Fn 49 6.5 x 55

Are you talking about the one listed on Proxibid?

I almost bid on that one until I did my homework and common sense kicked in. I seriously doubt it was an original 6.5x55 and based on the sale price I don't think anyone else believed it was the real deal either. Only 5 - 6.5x55's were ever made and they were all delivered to the Swiss so they would most likely be in much better shape then the one listed which was in so so condition with only 50% black paint and 80% finish left. My guess is it's a 7mm Venezuelan.

BTW, the same company also auctioned lot # 227 which they claimed was a genuine Smith & Wesson Model-13 Aircrewman. A real S&W M-13 Aircrewman would sell for $4000-5000. Their gun only sold for $705.00.

Think about it, what are the chances a company would be auctioning 2 holy grails in one auction with no reserves on either.

Auction houses sell guns that are "missed" by the so-called experts all the time as I've bought a cpl myself that ended up being worth 3X what I paid for them...

BTW, yes, I did purchase the rifle and here's why...IF it's not what it's advertised as being I end up with a nice shooting rifle, or I sell it locally for what I have in it..BUT..if it happens to be what is advertised, then I'm laughing my ass off...so it's a win-win for me! :p

I am brand new to forum. Have Egytian FN49. Have heard that you can create detachable mags. Does anyone know where directions are, or can rifle be legally converted to accept a detachable mag like the South American ones?

Egyptian FN-49

They vary in price, with the low end being the receiver builds by century to the intact original contract rifles.

Do you have any pics to post?

You can via the message box, just look at the icons on the top and mouse over them. The one that is yellow and looks like a pic of a mountain will allow you to add a pic

Elbalawyer said:
Have Egytian FN49. Have heard that you can create detachable mags. Does anyone know where directions are, or can rifle be legally converted to accept a detachable mag like the South American ones?

Going to a detachable mag on a gun that didn't have one might cause you to run afoul of U.S.C. 922(r):
Since the rifle already has a threaded muzzle and a bayonet lug, if you add a detachable magazine... voila! ...you have magically created an illegal imported "assault weapon". :o

Some Pictures of a Belgium "Leopold" SAFN in 30.06

Hi,

Been also the proud owner of a Belgium SAFN in a perfect condition.

I think it was never fired before I found this one in in a gunstore.
But I am not a real collector , I like to shoot them.:D

Also a picture of a part of my milsurp collection.:)

Greetings,

G. Rollen

Attachments

• SAFN49_1.jpg
    SAFN49_1.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 417
  • SAFN49_2.jpg
    SAFN49_2.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 319
  • Milsurp_1.jpg
    Milsurp_1.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 313
Hi guys. Sorry to bump such an old thread.

I recently inherited an FN49 chambered in ".30" (I understand that means 30-06), serial number 273x. I wasn't given any history behind the weapon. Can anyone share any details on the identifying markings I should look for, and what they mean?

Thanks. Finding reliable info on the web is proving very difficult. :(

Does it have "AL" stampted over the chamber area? If it does it came from Luxemborg. take pics if you can of the major markings and I have a FN49 book that I can look at,get you a little bit more on your rifle

Yes, it does have an AL stamped on the top in an elaborate font.

I'll upload some photos. Thanks p99guy.

Back