FN-49 Owner's Room

here's a better pic of the muzzle from the auction site

FN-49c.jpg

FN-49 8mm

My dad has been aching to get one in 8mm but I couldn't find a decent one before Christmas.

Where's a good place to get a FN-49 in 8mm? Does anybody have the barreled receivers or is it mostly luck of the draw to find one at a gun show or on the auction sites?

Northern FN49 fan

Thanks for starting the thread/owner's room. I'm a huge fan of the FN49, and have been since I saw it profiled in vintage magazine. It looks like it means business and I finally got my hands on one a year ago. 8mm Egyptian contract - a late production three-swivel with the scope dovetail cut. (see pix).

It's great fun at the range. I'm running a bunch of steel-cased Romanian surplus through it these days, though not right now because it's -30 outside. Corrosive, so need to spend some time cleaning up afterwards, but it's nice not having to chase brass (or in this case steel) too far once you get the gas system set up.

They're popular here in Canada too. It's funny but there were a few of them floating around for sale a year or so ago, but they don't seem to come up all that often any more.

I look forward to hearing how well yours works when you've got it done. It looks like you've done nice work.

Attachments

• FN49full.jpg
    FN49full.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 651
  • FN49cartouche.jpg
    FN49cartouche.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 483
Where's a good place to get a FN-49 in 8mm? Does anybody have the barreled receivers or is it mostly luck of the draw to find one at a gun show or on the auction sites?

You're pretty much just luck of the draw finding one. Seems like every few years a few will trickle in from some part of the world, but there's usually not many and they usually don't last long. Last ones I remember seeing in any quantity were some Argentine Navies in .308 that SOG had a few years ago. Egyptian 8mm's seem to be the most common followed by 30-06's (usually Luxembourg) with .308's and 7mm tied in distant third and Argentine 7.65 Mausers in very distant fourth.

Do you mean to tell me that of all the members on TFL, there are only 6 of us that own an FN49, ain't we an ELITE little club.

Honestly, I didn't think they were that hard to come by, or they just that undesireable. (I don't think so)

Come on all you FN49 owners (you know who you are) let's get with the program. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Do you mean to tell me that of all the members on TFL, there are only 6 of us that own an FN49, ain't we an ELITE little club.

Honestly, I didn't think they were that hard to come by, or they just that undesireable. (I don't think so)

Well, I'll tell you this, the two most common comments I get about mine while at the range are "FN what?" and "Is that a Garand?"

I too own an FN-49 . The Argie Navy in .308 with detachable mag. I have only fired mine once, just to make sure it went bang. I bought it just before I went to Iraq and still do not have all my guns at the house. When the wife and I get a house built with gun vault I will let ya know how she shoots.

I too own an FN-49 . The Argie Navy in .308 with detachable mag. I have only fired mine once, just to make sure it went bang.

I'm pretty sure Sarco still has mags for those. I think they were about 75 each, but they ain't gonna be available forever.

I don't suppose you'd post a picture of that thing, would you? I'm kind of hoping one of the Argentine navy guys and one of the Luxembourg sniper guys will throw some pics in of those even rarer FN-49 rifles.

I'm kind of hoping one of the Argentine navy guys and one of the Luxembourg sniper guys will throw some pics in of those even rarer FN-49 rifles.

Not a very good pic, but here's my Luxembourg '06

Picture-1.jpg

Figured I'd throw this out there for FN-49 fans.

Right now, S.O.G (southern ohio gun) has FN-49's for sale. They are the Argentine Navy models. They don't include the detachable magazine and are missing minor parts here and there but otherwise just need a bit of routine care and TLC.

Magazines can be had through Sarco.

The gun is going for $749.99 dealer cost, so don't let your local FFL jack you to hard. Now you got the hard facts on the price. Stick it to em.;)

I figure that ain't a bad deal overall. I've seen complete good to very good condition Argentine Navy models go for substantially more than $1,000 on a fairly routine basis, some even reaching $1,300 or so.

Thought I saw an Argentine Navy on gunbroker recently for about a grand.

FN-49's are sweet. If more people had them they'd realize just how badly they are getting the shaft on modern stuff in comparison. Then again, FN always makes some pretty good stuff.

Heck, it beats paying 9 g's for a SCAR.....lol

Right now, S.O.G (southern ohio gun) has FN-49's for sale. They are the Argentine Navy models. They don't include the detachable magazine and are missing minor parts here and there but otherwise just need a bit of routine care and TLC.

I searched SOGs catalog for them but nothing turned up, except that they have .308 FN-49 mags for $39.95.

Saw one of these at my local gunshop over the weekend. First one I've seen in years, and the only one I have ever seen in 7x57 Mauser (I believe most of them went to the Colombian military).

$900 was the asking consignment price.

I searched SOGs catalog for them but nothing turned up, except that they have .308 FN-49 mags for $39.95.

I just saw it in their most recent flyer. I imagine if you give them a call they could let you know if they are still in stock. I doubt they flew away that fast, then again, with the way things have been going, they might've.

I'd score one but I've been sinking money into an FAL as my most recent project and I'm pretty well tapped cashwise.

Von I would give you a pic of my rifle, but it is at the in-laws house. I am in the process of building a house so I do not have my guns here. Plus I am not real computer savy, but I might be able to get the wife to do it. As best I remember SOG rated my gun in excelent condition with a bayonet and spare mag. I want to say I gave $650-$700 for it 4-5 years ago.

Saw one of these at my local gunshop over the weekend. First one I've seen in years, and the only one I have ever seen in 7x57 Mauser (I believe most of them went to the Colombian military).

7x57 was used by Venezuela, Columbia used 30-06.

Sad tale

Back in 1973 or thereabouts, I paid $79.95 for an NRA Excellent Venezuelan 7mm M49.
It had a very light colored stock...maybe not walnut, which I darkened a bit with BLO.
The metal was finished in black enamel, except for the sights and magazine which were blued. It had a compensator/flash hider.
The gun was an accuracy monster, and shot wonderfully (bore was pristine.)
I was reloading back then with the little Lee kit in a box...hard to do with a semi-auto
action. Many's the round I had to yank on the bolt to get out of the chamber. Once my hand slipped. I got a nice long gash on my thumb knuckle. Scar is still there. The 49 has LOTS of sharp corners!
I had it one day at a gravel pit, shooting targets, when a Maine Game Warden came barrelling into the pit, and wanted me to show him my 'machine gun'....lol. He'd obviously been lurking and spying with binoculars on me, shooting on a Sunday. (Legal.)
I had the gas piston turned off, using the gun as a single shooter, because I didn't feature chasing cases all over the place. Frustrated the poor minion of the law..he was sure he had a real bad machine-gunner case to bring to court. His face fell when I demonstrated the semi-auto function of the piece. He also asked me if I'd shot at '...those geese'. There weren't any geese around. Poor guy. Couldn't make a Sunday hunting charge stick either.
Sometime in 1979, I traded the rifle for a new-in-the-box Colt Cobra.
Join me in singing that old refrain: "If only I'da kept it...."
There are many similar sad stories I could tell, of guns that came...and went....

Back