FN-49 Owner's Room

I have an 8mm Egyptian I got from a buddy in a trade. I gave him a Winchester CMP Garand and he gave me the FN 49, a new spare barrel and $300 cash. I have other Garands, so i figured "Why not?"

I still haven't shot it yet. He said it "Wasn't accurate at all" which is why he bought the spare barrel. I plan to try it with some known good commercial ammo to see how it shoots and if it really does have problems then rebarrel it with the new spare. I just don't want to test it with unknown quality mil-surp ammo until I know if it's a shooter or not.

Mine's a nice looking rifle, but not as nice as the one pic in this thread of the refurbished gun.

FN 49

I got mine from century in VT.$129 with the battle scars that Tamara has.all kinds of wood inserts.I have the thread protector,has the flash hider got long slots?? I have one and the grenade launcher.and extra barrel.
while I like it and it is accurate it is not as good as the garand.any one that says the garand with out the clip is a single shot has not a clue.the ammo always came with clips,just as machine gun ammo came on belts.if you know how to load an M1 you won't get the thumb.and thats why I like carcanos, and com.88s.the clip load is far faster.:rolleyes: :eek: :D

The FN-49 is a much-overlooked gem. IMO, it's the best deal going for those who want a military-patten rifle and live in states with AWBs like Commiefornia.

I recently acquired a Venezuela Fn49 7 x 57 in excellent condition, except it's missing the flash hider. It has the threaded cap in place, that seems to match the rifle.

Three questions I have that perhaps you can answer--
1. Are any Venezuela contract rifles known to have been delivered without the flash hider?
2. Where can I obtain an appearance-correct flash hider?
3. All part numbers match, except that the bolt carrier is not numbered. Is this correct, or is it a replacement bolt carrier?

I HAD the Egyptian 8mm up until about a year ago.... I remember buying it on gunbroker of all places about 3 years ago for 450.00. I sold it for somewhere around 800, I sure wish I would have held onto it... damn fine rifle, but i was in dire need of money and sold it:( As far as I have noticed around here there is absolutely no market for them... we had one sit in a local gun shop for a year priced at 750.00. I usually see an average of 1 of them at every gunshow that I go to and a majority of them never get sold. I don't think people know what they are missing out on. The only thing I disliked about it (this was before I started handloading) was having to clean out the gas system after every outing because of the lack of cheap non-corrosive ammo. Now I'd probably give a finger or maybe a small toe to have that "problem" again.... sigh

3. All part numbers match, except that the bolt carrier is not numbered. Is this correct, or is it a replacement bolt carrier?

The one I have is the same, ie; no numbers on the bolt carrier, as far as the flash hider, you might want to ask about that on "Paralax bill's" website, they deal with almost nothing but milsurp guns, and there are a lot of very knolageable people on that site.

http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/directory

Last edited:
Colt 1967

I have an FN 49 Stock with the front band buttplate assy and cleaning stuff goes in the trapdoor I am not very familiar with these rifles I believe this is the 30-06 long length it looks to have been glass bedded ? it is in very nice condition I am not sure of its value but I don't have a need for it LMk if interested thanks Colt 1967

Chargers

I just tried an M14 charger it does not fit my 8mm.I do have a charger that works,it has two tits in the middle and is chromed.have no idea what it was for.would like to know.I have turkish,mauser 91/93? and 98.my gun is a battle scared vet but shoots good and I have a new barrel in the wings for it.:rolleyes:;):eek:

I'm looking at two of these things right now.

Two different guys at my gun club are selling FN 49's. One is in 8mm, arsenal refinished, for $450. The other is in 30-06, excellent original condition for $500. I've always wanted one but the only one I had seen was at a local pawn shop 5 years ago for $900. I might just buy both.

Two different guys at my gun club are selling FN 49's. One is in 8mm, arsenal refinished, for $450. The other is in 30-06, excellent original condition for $500. I've always wanted one but the only one I had seen was at a local pawn shop 5 years ago for $900. I might just buy both.

$450 is a fair price for an Egyptian 8mm, not fantastic but fair. $500 is an excellent price for a 30-06. I paid $900 for my Luxembourg '06 a few years ago and that seems to be about the going rate.

I have the book...

Hey J-Framer.

I have Wayne's book and refer to it all the time. It's a must-have for fans of the FN-49 in my view. I only have one of the rifles, an Egyptian in 8mm, and the book has made me smarter about that rifle and about the other ones I'd love to have some day.:D

Get the book.

A new Guy

I'm happy to be part of this elite club. I own 4 FN-49's, 2 in 7x57 and 2 in 8x57, all in nice condition and good shooters. They have their good points just as the Garand does but the FN-49 doesn't have the M-1's battle record. I have 2 M-1's, one in .308 and a 30-06. I would not want to be on the receiving end of either. I do not know if anyone is aware of this but SPRINGFIELD SPORTERS, INC. has an extensive list of spare and replacement parts for the FN-49. It is difficult to find a gunsmith who is up to speed on the FN-49. I found that out when I needed some adjustments on the gas tube of one of my 7mm's. It was literally ripping the brass casings out of the chamber. It is fixed now. Oh, Northridge International has bayonets and frogs for the FN-49. I got canvas M-1 slings from Cheaper than Dirt that clip right on the swivels. Y'all take a look if you need some goodies for your weapons.

Springfield Sporters

Thanks Oldsargemedic for the Springfield Sporters info.

Glad to be part of this group, looking for a decent 8mm Egyptian that will take some time to track down.

New kid in the room. Just won on gunbroker for an Egyptian. Has the century stock but the word is it has been strictly a safe queen. She is coming out of retirement with me. Case of yugo m75 just waiting on her.

I'll be back :)

I have been wanting a FN49 for a while, a Luxembourg 30-06 one, but it seems everytime a good one comes up on gunbroker, I have recently spent on something else- depleating the fun money .:( One day I shall have one. Till then I look longingly at the Book.

Luxembourg 30-06

They are showing up on gunbroker maybe 1-2 a week, they want a lot of loot for the Luxembourg and the ammo is pretty darn expensive now at Sportmans Guide. Takes all the fun out of shooting. If anyone has found a place for cheap 30-06 ammo that is decent please let us know. Thanks

Argentine FN49 in .308, the most accurate semi-auto surplus rifle I have ever owned.

100_0265.jpg

Currently working on a duplicate stock to keep the original from more damage (arsenal repairs).

Figured this would be a good spot for my First post. I have a FN 49 in 8mm (thank god it is not one that CIA touched). it is in great condition. It came with 1200 rounds of Crap ammo that has bad primers (90% failure rate).....So I took up the challenge to keep this rifle shooting. I have been Forming 30-06 brass into 8mm brass and using the powder and bullets from the surplus. this is working great so far. I also picked up a 308 version for my boss, who has yet to shoot his.

Back