Finest Tasting Game Meat?

Finest Tasting Game Meat?

• Total voters
Wabbit

A nice Rabbit for Breakfast/Brunch...mmmmmm...

I've also made some tasty smoked deer jerky. Actually pretty much any animal that isn't a skunk.

I draw the line at bugs tho :)

Supprised I had to look so far before anyone mentioned pig. I'll reach across venison to get to some pork. the best part about feral hog on the grill is the cookin. salt, pepper, onions, and some 1/2ed jalapenos, and dump a bit of beer on it from time to time. Venison needs to be babied on the grill or it gets dry. Hogs WANT you to have a few beers and play an extra game or two of washers. They will be just fine sittin on the smoker for a little longer...take your time. Most other meats you need to be bird doggin' em on the grill.
~z

I'm supprised I didn't see bear on any ones list.
Went hunting with my uncle in Pa. and had to try some. It taste a lot better than it sounds. But it DON'T taste like chicken.

Upland game, Quail, Pheasant, Grey Partridge.

Waterfowl, Teal, Woodies, Mallard.

Wild Rabbit, makes some awesome gravy for soppin... ;)

Buffalo is excellent also.

12-34hom

Pronghorn is noted for poor flavor but the first one I had was taken in a wheat field ! It was delicious. It's the sagebrush that gives them poor flavor....The finest meat I've had was ptarmigan.

In addition to what the animal eats, I think the greatest single factor is in the care in field dressing and handling the meat.

I don't eat that many 'exotic' game animals :(. Don't really hunt much outside rabbit, deer, and hog... I'll have to try some. :)

Psst... Spotted Owl is not bad, if you marinate it overnight...

What??? :confused: You hunt owl? :D Is that even legal? Hehe, If its that good I will have to shoot and eat me one real soon. ;) What do you use to kill em', will a .22lr do it?

Who were the two wise guys who put in votes for opossum?

Nasty little critters. I'd have to be really hungry...

Edit:
Oh! It's not a secret ballot! You can click on "Votes" and see who voted for it!

22-rimfire and kb4ifs, y'all really like those carrion-eatin' oversized rat-lookin marsupials over quail? Over elk?!?

Long Path: Have you ever tasted opossum? Who knows? Catfish and eel, and gator are all pretty homely looking critters that taste pretty good :D Smoked eel is actually ve-ry tasty. :cool:

Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep is "the" best tasting big game I have "ever" had. I've had, deer, elk, moose, buffalo, and antelope, and Bighorn was by far the best of them all.

Slow cooked (12-14 hrs), BBQ Beaver. Man, is it ever good. I shred it up with a fork, and put it on toasted onion rolls.

Is trout a game meat??? its mighty fine eatin' as well!!!!

You all have done it again. Now I'm cravin' a "deep fried" catfish sandwich. (I'm originally from Southern Indiana). The only way to get one in the Northwest is to do it yourself. Time to go fishin'.
dean

rodent.

None better than squirrel for me, though venison comes in a very close second.

But then, I'll eat most anything without too much complaint.

Back