Finest Tasting Game Meat?

Finest Tasting Game Meat?

• Total voters
best taste?

I have found preparation and the cook have much more to do with taste than people are willing to admit to. What the game animal eats will influence taste also, you are what you eat. I have noted a good deal of difference in whitetail harvested on the family farm in PA from those taken in the southwest.

a well shot pronghorn. If it drops within a few feet of where it is shot. If it runs a long way it is dog food, My first one ran a LOOOOONG way and the meat was so tainted with gamey taste from the running and the stress my dog got almost all of it. I vowed to never eat it again, then was fed some thinking it was lamb. ohhh my. well shot, were it dropped in its track my second antelope was by far the best tasting animal i have ever eaten.

Best that I have ever tasted was elk steaks. Could have been the atmosphere too... girls and beer. Good mix. You all left out the number one game bird--TURKEY (but I didn't read every posting as this is for fun). Possum? Yum Yum

I was kidding on the possum. When I was a kid, we caught a possum in a box trap and kept it for a while in a cage... we had a bunch of rotten night crawlers that we had picked up for fishing.... that darn possum loved those rotten worms! I will NEVER eat a possum unless I'm starving.

Bbq

fresh barbequed deer backstraps with BBQ sauce, a box of KD and a frosty kokanee beer, im drooling just thinking about it

My favorite method of making chili

Lawyer Daggit asked about chili recipes.

1. Read the links provided by Long Path in post #22, above. If you carefully assemble the ingredients and have the patience, there's some WONDERFUL stuff there.

2. If you're less ambitious - --
I've been a chile gourmet for literally decades, and I know what I like. I've made up vast pots and taken it to the office and thereafter was drafted as a chili cookoff judge a few times. During those contests, I've eaten a lot of good and some not-so-good concoctions. It is my personal opinion you can do up an EXCELLENT chile without all this hocus-pocus.

Look around until you locate a store that stocks the Wick Fowler 2-Alarm Chili Kit. Buy that and the other stuff it says to get, listed on the back of the package. Follow the instructions, and you're pretty much guaranteed a very good pot o' chili.

I like to use a combination of cubed pork and either beef or venison. Be sure and strip off ALL the fascia from venison. For beef and pork, buy inexpensive roasts and hand cube them. Wild hog is good, too. But cube it, don't grind. Texture is everything.

This particular kit has the various spices and such in individual packets. It really makes a difference. I use only about one-third of the salt provided. Pay attention to the details about 2-Alarm, 1-Alarm, and False Alarm chile. The 2-Alarm type is really warm. some people can't handle it. No shame to that part.

This is good stuff. Do yourself a favor and do NOT cook beans with the chile. Cook them separately and add as desired. I vastly prefer pinto beans to red beans or other types. If you don't have the time or patience to pre-soak and cook 'em properly, buy a couple of cans of Trappey's pinto beans, the plain ones without jalapenos.

I eat my chile with cornbread, or homemade corn tortillas, or flour tortillas, or regular ol' saltine crackers. Crunchy toasted French bread is very good, too.

Best,
Johnny

I was trying to pick one for the poll... I just got really hungry. :confused:

What no caribou? Probably one the of best steaks I've ever eaten was a caribou T-bone BBQ'd. Moose ribs, awesome. Goose just a nose ahead of duck. Grouse fried up with salt pork. Deer.. mmm.. had some sort of jarred "stew" from newfoundland once.... salty (of course) but out of this world.

Psst... Spotted Owl is not bad, if you marinate it overnight...

Good grief - it's after 1:00 a.m. and reading this thread has made me HUNGRY!

Johnny Guest - you just made me make a list of groceries to pick up tomorrow. My wife will be happy to have me cook this weekend.

Back