Finest Tasting Game Meat?

Finest Tasting Game Meat?

• Total voters

CarbineCaleb

What is the absolute tastiest critter that walks, runs, or flies?

I give the nod to duck. While it can be greasy if not prepared well, if prepared skillfully, it is just a heavenly gastronomic experience. :D

Last edited:
yum

Pheasent its great love it I am gonna kill some again this year and hopefully buy some live ones for killing too. yum :)

I never bought a live animal for killing should I cut his head off or take him out in the woods an shoot it with a 22 pistol. Is there a less execution style method :confused: I usually like to give them a chance.

Yes i am going to eat them and i am buying them live so i can eat fresh meat not some frozen thing from the pheasent farm.

ps is it legal to buy a rabit from the pet store and butcher it for eating. I plan to do that if i cant get one during season.

Should I let them get a head start then start plinking away at em???

"ps is it legal to buy a rabit from the pet store and butcher it for eating. I plan to do that if i cant get one during season"
Lots of people raise rabbits for meat. You can build a hutch in a small area, buy a buck and doe rabbit, and have a nice rabbit farm pretty easily. The dropping that fall under the hutch will always have a nice supply of nightcrawlers for fishing with, too. No reason why you shouldn't buy them from a pet store, unless the cost is too high. With a little research, you ought to be able to find local rabbit raisers. I haven't a clue how well domestic rabbits would do if you released them in the wild. I imagine the albinos would be pretty easy to find, though. :)

Quail is by far the best of the game meats I've ever eaten. The flesh is so delecate, it's almost transparent when you first kill them. It cooks snow white.

Not listed....

By far, Ruffed Grouse, roasted, with stuffing made with woodcock breast.
I do love rare venison loin with a pinot noir reduction, though...

Its hard to choose, but it would have to be deer as it, rabbit, squirrel, turkey and goose are the only ones (as best i can recall) that i have had that were 'hunted'. i have had pheasnt and duck also, but it was reseraunt/store bought. i'm pretty fond of wild rabbit and squirrel too though.

Fowl - Quail

Fur - Elk , backstraps, roasts
Fur - Buffalo - steak, roasts

Scales- Bream, Crappie, Walleye , Trout

I will fight, bribe, steal, lie ...whatever it takes to obtain the filet mignon off a Walleye. And NO I will not tell you where/ what it is either. :D

SM--used to live on the Tittabawasee river in Michigan as a kid. They have a pretty big walleye tournement there. i have caught and cooked many, many, many walleye from the parents backyard there. personally, i think they are some of the best tasting fish around (and fun to catch too!)

Moose, Elk, Bison...in that order.

Moose is sweet and not gamey at all like deer...same with Elk, alot like a good cut of beef, but with a hint of sweetness. Bison makes some GREAT sausage...never had it any other way, but makes excellent bratwurst sandwiches.

jrfoxx fish and favorite game....

:D Jr.......... I hope all your fish were from north of Midland, MI? ;) the glow in the dark factor with help from DOW made me wonder....... I know that river well too...........

Wild meat that is hard to beat

1. Caribou
2. Elk
3. Speed Goats (Antelope) gotta be fixed right by a real cook too ;)
4. Ruffed Grouse (garlic butter painted then an open campfire prep.... :D

I would've voted buffalo 1st but no there. Elk backstrap but not there, so out of what is there I had to vote duck as a duck was the most memorable meal I've ever had in the field. We had taken potatoes onions & carrots along with some spices etc camping and had figured on cooking up a rabbit or two but somehow a duck flew our way at the crucial moment. Some biscuts ina can added made the best duck N dumpling stew I'll never forget.

You didn't list elk. :shrug:
That's one of my all-time favorites.
But then....

A couple of weeks ago I went over to my parents' place for dinner and my Mom had roasted an oryx roast that one of Dad's friends had given him. That was every bit as good as elk, if not better. :)

Mountain lion is delicious, too.

Back