fake supressors

From the ATF's web site,
Q: The types of firearms that must be registered in the National Firearm Registration and Transfer Record are defined in the NFA and 27 CFR, Part 479. What are some examples?

Some examples of the types of firearms that must be registered are:
Machine guns;
The frames or receivers of machine guns;
Any combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting weapons into machine guns;
Any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for converting a weapon into a machine gun;
Any combination of parts from which a machine gun can be assembled if the parts are in the possession or under the control of a person;
Silencers and any part designed and intended for fabricating a silencer;
Short-barreled rifles;
Short-barreled shotguns;
Destructive devices; and,
“Any other weapon.”

Q: What are the required transfer procedures for an individual who is not qualified as a manufacturer, importer, or dealer of NFA firearms?

ATF Form 4 (5320.4) must be completed, in duplicate. The transferor first completes the face of the form. The transferee completes the transferee’s certification on the reverse of the form and must have the “Law Enforcement Certification” completed by the chief law enforcement officer.

The transferee is to place, on each copy of the form, a 2-inch by 2-inch photograph of the transferee taken within the past year (proofs, group photographs or photocopies are unacceptable). The transferee’s address must be a street address, not a post office box. If there is no street address, specific directions to the residence must be included.

If State or local law requires a permit or license to purchase, possess, or receive NFA firearms, a copy of the transferee’s permit or license must accompany the application. A check or money order for $200 ($5 for transfer of “any other weapon”) shall be made payable to ATF by the transferor. All signatures on both copies must be in ink.

Fingerprints also must be submitted on FBI Form FD-258, in duplicate. Fingerprints must be taken by a person qualified to do so, and must be clear and classifiable. If wear or damage to the fingertips do not allow clear prints, and if the prints are taken by a law enforcement official, a statement on his or her official letterhead giving the reason why good prints are unobtainable should accompany the fingerprints.

Forward the completed application and appropriate tax payment to the Bureau of ATF, National Firearms Act Branch, P.O. Box 530298, Atlanta, GA 30353-0298.

Transfer of the NFA firearm may be made only upon approval of the ATF Form 4 by the NFA Branch. If the application is approved, the original of the form with the cancelled stamp affixed showing approval will be returned to the applicant. If the tax application is denied, the tax will be refunded.

Upon approval of the ATF Form 4, the transferor should transfer the firearm as soon as possible, since the firearm is now registered to the transferee.

[26 U.S.C. 5812, 27 CFR 479.84-86]
The ATF's web site is loaded with all sorts of info and can be as we say straight from the horses mouth
www.atf.gov

Some added info,Q: Are Paintball and/or Airgun Sound Suppressers NFA firearms?

The terms “firearm silencer” and “firearm muffler” mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Numerous paintball and airgun silencers tested by ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch have been determined to be, by nature of their design and function, firearm silencers. Because silencers are NFA weapons, an individual wishing to manufacture or transfer such a silencer must receive prior approval from ATF and pay the required tax. See also “What are the required transfer procedures for an individual who is not qualified as a manufacturer, importer, or dealer of NFA firearms?” and “How does an individual obtain authorization to make an NFA firearm?” for application details.

If you have any further questions as to the classification of a paintball or airgun silencer, please send a written request to ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch.

[18 U.S.C. 921(a)(24), 26 U.S.C. 5845(a), 27 CFR 479.11]

so you think suppressors are legal for a person to own in all 50 states? lol

I guess you missed the part about ownership. The ATF regulates the silencer as stated above. If you are interested in ownership I suggest you check the state laws where you live.

Last edited:
DonP said:
Me thinks that if you can legally own a firearm that you can own a suppressor.
Not in 11 states.

creepyNinja said:
evidence that you never heard of a thing called aguila colibri
that'll be your homework for today, study it
You didn't say "Aguila Colibri", you said "subsonic ammo". Almost all .22 ammo that's subsonic is still loud and sounds like a gun. Aguila Colibri isn't typical subsonic ammo, it's super-low-velocity ammo that doesn't have anywhere near enough energy to cycle the action. But all that aside, a suppressed .22 rifle with regular subsonic ammo is quieter than even an unsuppressed rifle shooting Aguila Colibri ammo.

A .22 with a silencer and subsonic ammo wont sound like a gun being fired at all. All you will hear is the bolt working. The bullet strike will be much louder.

Hawg, I ask you this in all honesty here...not trying to talk smack. But do you have any personal experience around suppressed .22s?

Because in the dozen or so times I've been around them, it was indeed much quieter, but not without a bang. I don't know what ammo they were using (subsonic/supersonic), all I observed was that the gun was quieter, but not "silent". Only sound is the bolt cycling and a pfft? That's only in the movies, I think. Even the suppressor manufacturers say that their offering will "reduce" decibels.

From "supressor company x's" website:

Q:"WHY ARE SILENCERS NOT REALLY SILENT? THEY DON’T ACTUALLY PERFORM AS THEY DO IN THE MOVIES.
A:In the real world, a firearm with a silencer does make noise, so it is not “silent.” However, the silencer will greatly reduce the muzzle report of a gunshot"..."

Sorry, off topic...you guys can go back to debating those useless...I mean...fake...suppressors. It's kinda like taping a "Hemi" logo on your Prius. That being said, I did put that Marauder kit on my 10/22, merely to make it look cool. I since decided that it was dumb and degraded the gun's use, and removed it. Anyone interested in buying a used marauder kit?

And to some of you here...you know who you are: Believe it or not, but a few the of guys on here actually do know what they're talking about. I hate to say it, but your comments really do make you appear uneducated.

dude, haven't you been paying attention to the thread?? wake up, lol
sorry i'm not gonna repeat myself, just go back a few posts and you'll see my explanation
I read the incorrect assertion that it "makes the barrel longer".

I will just have to assume you really have no clue about supressors, real or fake

Don P said:
I guess you missed the part about ownership. The ATF regulates the silencer as stated above. If you are interested in ownership I suggest you check the state laws where you live.
noooo man...i'm not interested in owning a real suppressor, you don't get it, this thread is about fake suppressors.
you have a lot of titles to your name and i respect that but the fact is, real suppressor is not legal to own in all states. sure it will be a blast (no pun intended) to shoot with a real suppressor but i just don't want the hassles of ownership and with the type of shooting i do, i'll never need one. i want my gun to look like it has a real suppressor on, and a fake one does that really well

gedenke said:
I hate to say it, but your comments really do make you appear uneducated.
they only appear uneducated to the uneducated, i guess.
but even you yourself own a fake suppressor. that's self contradicting isn't it? you removed it from you gun because, like anything else, you probably got bored from playing with it a bunch of times that's all.

Snyper said:
I read the incorrect assertion that it "makes the barrel longer".
I will just have to assume you really have no clue about supressors, real or fake
well, you know what they say about assumptions...
but i was referring to the post about "reducing muzzle flip"

Hawg said:
gedenke, I answered you in a PM.
got something to hide? sounds pretty shady to me

Bpcurious said:
You guys are being trolled Don't feed the troll!
how is expressing my opinions about a subject trolling :confused:
this is more like a debate if anything. what is your definition of trolling anyway?

well, you know what they say about assumptions...
but i was referring to the post about "reducing muzzle flip"
How much "muzzle flip" do you have on a sub sonic 22?

I still think you really have no idea what you're talking about, and your explanations don't make it any better

And on that note. I smile and nod and step out with what's left of my intelligence...or dignity, or whatever. In other words, I've wasted enough time on this thread.

Snyper said:
I still think you really have no idea what you're talking about, and your explanations don't make it any better
maybe you shouldn't be doing the thinking and leave that to someone else instead?
of course the muzzle flip reduction is not going to be as noticeable on the .22 as on larger ammo, i just mentioned 22lr sub-sonic ammo in reference to simulating the sound of shooting with a real suppressor, or at least a real suppressor that's wearing out

Microgunner said:
Yep, troll.
so when you can't win an argument against someone because you can't respond to their arguments, you just call them a troll? who's trolling who?

there seems to be strong negativity toward fake suppressors in the shooting community, not sure what's that all about. must be some sort of mass hysteria or something. whatever it is, i haven't heard a single convincing argument against fake suppressors. it's just another accessory to me. if you want one, get one, if you don't then don't. what's the big deal.
let's face it, fake suppressors have a real purpose and that purpose is they make your gun look like you have a real suppressor on.

Last edited:
creepyNinja said:
Snyper said:
maybe you shouldn't be doing the thinking and leave that to someone else instead?
of course the muzzle flip reduction is not going to be as noticeable on the .22 as on larger ammo, i just mentioned 22lr sub-sonic ammo in reference to simulating the sound of shooting with a real suppressor, or at least a real suppressor that's wearing out
Yes, and your mention of shooting .22 subsonic ammo unsuppressed in reference to the sound of shooting a real suppressed .22 shows you don't really know what you're talking about. Also, your mention of a .22 silencer wearing out also shows you don't know what you're talking about: it's almost impossible to wear out a modern .22 silencer.

creepyNinja said:
i haven't heard a single convincing argument against fake suppressors.
Are you joking here? Comments like this are what have people convinced you're a troll. Many people have pointed out the disadvantages of a fake silencers, including me way back in post #29.

Wow this thread got way off track.

Will it completely hide all muzzle flash? Probably not.

As for the rest. If fake suppressors were truly an accuracy aid they would be marketed as such and rest assured the price on them would most likely double.

If somebody wants to put a fake suppressor on their octagon railed, dual flashlight, laser equipped, red dot optic and scope mounted, vertical gripped, bi-podded, tactical Ipad mounted, 30 pound AR rifle...so be it. The money they spend on accessories helps keep the economy going.

Originally Posted by creepyNinja
i haven't heard a single convincing argument against fake suppressors.
I haven't heard anything that convinces me you have a clue

let's face it, fake suppressors have a real purpose and that purpose is they make your gun look like you have a real suppressor on.
The only purpose of a fake supressor is to seperate fools from their money

The best story about the fake suppressors was from a guy that had a fire.

The fire dept. found the gun with the suppressor on it -- the police got involved big time, then the FBI and the BATF.

It seems that no one could determine that it was a fake -- took over six months to get his gun back.

Back