Doublebarrels OK for informal clay pigeons?

The rules are the rules. I didn't say anything about violating them. Maybe if the OP is worried about what others think of his type of gun he needs to find a more fun friendly, informal place to shoot!

But you also posted that

If safe handling is followed it doesn't matter if there is one shell in the gun or two, or three, four, five, or six. Where the rules of an official competition says one, why not two if the guy is just trying out his field gun?

If you going to try out your field gun you had best follow the rules of the club, even if you are not shooting in a sanctioned competition.

ZVP. Your gun sounds just fine.

But you also posted that

Quote:
If safe handling is followed it doesn't matter if there is one shell in the gun or two, or three, four, five, or six. Where the rules of an official competition says one, why not two if the guy is just trying out his field gun?

Yes, exactly What I said. Official competition. But if there are general rules for any use of the range, then yes, they need to be followed.

Again!
Maybe if the OP is worried about what others think of his type of gun he needs to find a more fun friendly, informal place to shoot!

As long as you practice good safety, and as long as the range you visit isn't peopled by a$$holes, you'll be fine and have a good time. The vast majority of shooters welcome new blood and are glad to help if asked.

if there are general rules for any use of the range, then yes, they need to be followed.

That was the point. You probably missed it in the thread as it tended to skip from topic to topic (whether a gun is appropriate, gun snobs, safety rules and what not).

By the way, I have been known to shoot one of those inexpensive 870's now and then and the weekly crew of gun snobs I shoot trap with includes a couple of gents that shoot their Mossbergs pretty damn well. I still would never drag my o/u into the field.:D

Did not mean to start a S*** storm. Just thought the OP should know that loading more than one is an issue, unless shooting doubles.

Hell, my ol Model 12 holds 5, well actually not as I have a weight in the mag tube.

Point is the rangemaster might not be as polite as I was about it. Don't load more than one on a trap field.

26" is a bit restrictive on barrel length. I have a 25" 28 gauge Skeet barrel.

That's only that one club's rule, and I'll bet even they won't split hairs on that last inch as long as it looks like a sporting shotgun and not some tactical riot gun.

"Every time one of these type threads comes up, there's always someone who beat everyone with high dollar guns with a Mossberg 500."

Ever think that that's often because the guy with the Mossberg 500 is more interested in shooting? And not just being seen with a high dollar gun by his buddies?

And no matter how you cut it, good fundamentals and practice with a Mossberg beats **** poor fundamentals and strutting with a Perazzi or a Krieghoff any day.

Speaking of beating everyone...

He wasn't one of the bloviating rich dude types, but Dave McCracken, the late moderator of this forum, came to Northern Virginia to shoot with a few of us some years ago.

Dave and I used to have a very good natured repartee on what constituted a proper shotgun for field sports.

He brought his Remington 870, and I brought my Smith & Wesson M3000 riot gun with a cylinder bored 18.5" barrel.

We shot several rounds of wobble trap, and I trounced him. :D

Granted, I did have an advantage in that I was familiar with wobble, and that was his first time shooting it...

Last edited:
No, I take it that they resent the guys with high dollar guns. Otherwise I would think they would simply point out that they did extremely well with their Mossberg, or whatever, and that they believe anyone can, which I happen to agree with. But they have to throw in that barb about the guys with more expensive guns. If everyone would just concentrate on shooting, and shooting whatever they prefer and quit worrying what everyone else is shooting I believe they'd achieve a more harmonious outcome.
BTW, I shoot clay pigeons the majority of the time with Remington 1100s in various gauges, so I am not in any high dollar gun bracket.

"I take it that they resent the guys with high dollar guns."

I don't resent their high dollar guns.

I resent their high dollar cars. :D

Hey guys, I don't understand this snob thing. Shotguns just like rifles and handguns are tools, each excelling at what they were designed for, in example I own four shotguns, an 870 (have had it for 45 years) gun has three barrels a 28" as purchased, a 30" for ducks and geese, and a slug barrel for deer.
Then there is my Berretta o/u ultra light 12ga. for pheasant, light enough for a five mile hike in the field. Have counted on an 870 20ga. for grouse in the north woods which also serves double duty as a light recoiling shotgun my gal pal enjoys shooting on occasion. My recent purchase of the CZ ringneck was an attempt to find a shorter faster handling gun for use in the thick under brush of the north woods when Grouse hunting, using it at the trap range helps me to become a better shot due to it's shorter barrel and the fact it throws less lead. Would I like to own a Krieghoff or an Ed Brown .45, you betcha, but it ain't in this poor boys budget. Besides I'd be so worried about putting a nick in it I probably couldn't hit anything and having a shotgun strictly for trap wouldn't help me in the field. Guess my opinion is to look down my nose at the snobs because that thing ain't any good for putting food on the table.:rolleyes:

This thread is such BS. What some call a gun snob is just another AH. It depends on what you call a high dollar gun, but there are plenty of guys with more expensive guns that are more than willing to help a new shooter out. Of course there are always some guys with inexpensive guns who are able to outshoot ones with high dollar over unders. There are so many more of them that there are more likely to be good shooters with lower dollar pumps.

I have to agree, an AH is an AH regardless of where or when. We have an elderly gentlemen at our regulation trap field who must be in his eighty's shoots a very high end single shot and he never seems to miss a clay dagnabit. Still he's as sharp as a stick with a great sense of humor. Shooting a squad with him is always a pleasure and he's very quick to offer advise when asked. Just wish some of those pointers would make me half the shot he is.

I used to shoot trap, skeet, and sporting clays weekly at our local club and if there were any Krieghoff or Perazzi shotguns there, they must have been cleverly disguised as Berettas, Brownings, and Benellis. I saw nearly as many semi-autos as over/unders.

Few years ago I saw a guy shooting sporting clays locally with a Holland & Holland.

He was driving a Bentley Continental.

Toss up which cost him more.

Fifty years from now, that Holland and Holland will still be a Holland and Holland shotgun. The money used to buy a Holland and Holland today might buy you a new economy car fifty years from now.

Or at least that's how I rationalize buying fine guns.

The money used to buy a Holland and Holland today might buy you a new economy car fifty years from now.
Fifty years from now, I will be 118. Probably won't be driving or shooting by that time.
If I were able to afford a H&H Royal, I would have been enjoying it for all of that time...

Pretty thing, ain't it.
Pete

I have some nice investment grade shotguns, I DO NOT bring them to trap, skeet, sporting clay shoots, lol...

I bring my A400 Xcel or beretta 686 onyx or both, Them both cost under $4000 new, I also have a citori that I will sometimes bring, but I have gotten so good with the 686 I don't use the browning as much...

I have a buddy that can afford any shotgun he wants and he uses a CZ redhead target, I was with him the day he bought it for $1000 plus tax brand new, he has won more competitions with that thing no matter what the next guy spent on his gun, he has beat me more times than I can count and we have swapped guns, he still beats me with my gun...

So its not the gun I can assure you, if you can afford it and it swings well for you, shoot it. If there is a snob on the field making you uncomfortable, ask him to see his fancy gun {he will be more than glad to show it off} and drop it "by accident" as you hand it back to him, lol just kidding, that could get you shot...

I have noticed certain fields bring certain types of people. I don't care what the others think, I pay my dues, I am a member, I can shoot what I want. I find that more of an issue than what gun you shoot is- what some of these snobs have labelled "range etiquette", this used to just be a list of common sense rules that were more safety minded than anything else.
Now they have morphed into something different- "don't drop your shells on the ground", "don't bend over to pick up shells", ect ect ect..

I wear a pouch vest because I am lazy and don't want to bend over to pick up shells everytime, but if someone else wants to bend over and pick out of a box, that doesn't bother me, at a range meeting we had a few guys said "its distracting" a friend of mine replied "if you are distracted by me bending over maybe I am in the wrong club", we thought it was funny, the snobs did NOT. Also with the letting your shells drop issue, if you pick them up who cares where they land when you are shooting, I am an offender of this, I let them drop at my feet and then when I am done, I pick them all up and put them in my vest, these guys drop them in their hands, the bending over thing really is not popular wit the gun snobs for some reason...

Last edited:
Back