Doublebarrels OK for informal clay pigeons?

Agreed, real world birding often takes 2 shots so why not choot clays the same way?
I guess rules differ club to club.
I am a member of our club so it only costs me $4 range fees! Ammo is the same for everyone.
I guess my question of being "Proper" using my little Uplander lit a fuse on a Big debate!
Sorry, I didn't want to cause troubles.
ZVP

Don't wish to start an argument but I view a second shot at a clay as beneficial to my field experience. When hunting pheasant or grouse I always have both barrels loaded and when shooting trap I mount my gun after shouting pull as this better emulates field conditions. After all isn't the purpose of practice to enhance your field skills?

That is one of the purposes, another being for love of the games themselves, but to do so safely. Someone determined that the games are safer when one round per target is loaded. Note that I am talking about what is considered to be safe during certain clay games and not what is sometimes done during lessons under the scrutiny of an instructor.

Last edited:
I think that if they really want to make it like hunting, the trapper, not the shooter needs to decide when to pull the trap and there needs to be a random poison bird, a target you are forbidden to shoot.

Years ago

Years ago I took a friend from out of town skeet shooting at my range that was populated with over&under snobs of the highest order. My friend was a very accomplished shooter and showed up with a 410 remington 870 part of a matched set of 870s. We put our guns in the rack and sat down to wait our turn. While we were waiting two of the over under snobs walk buy the gun rack,,,,, one of them asked the other to look at my friends gun and said something like the kmart crowd is here to which the other said a gun like that is only good for shooting rats in a barn. Well,,,,,,, they called out the names for a squad and those two were on our squad. Remember I said he was an accomplished shooter. Now he is a ****** off accomplish shooter he shot like 24or 25 out of twenty five the over under snobs were in the 17 or 18 or so range! So my friend turned and asked me in a voice they were shure to hear "Do you think those guys will be at kmart in the morning to get them a rat shooting gun of their own"every hog has his day.
bb

I guess my question of being "Proper" using my little Uplander lit a fuse on a Big debate!

I think this one word, "informal" in your thread title says a lot, and has for the most part been overlooked.
You're not talking about formally competing in an event. Just having some fun checking out your shotgun.

Doublebarrels OK for informal clay pigeons?

Anybody who has a problem with that, what gun you use, or how many shells you load is too full of themselves to worry about it. As long as you are being safe it's your time, your gun, your shells, your money, and your fun!

Anybody who has a problem with that, what gun you use, or how many shells you load is too full of themselves to worry about it. As long as you are being safe it's your time, your gun, your shells, your money, and your fun!

You are missing the point, which is that the powers that be have determined at most all clubs and organizations responsible for managing national clays sports that loading more than a shell per target is unsafe.

You don't think it is anybody else's business how many shells you load. Fine, just don't do it at a shoot or club abiding by the one shell rule, because you are endangering others including myself. That you think you have a right to put others at risk says something about who is too full of themselves.

I have seen a lot of "old pros" load two for two consecutive singles at skeet, in fact, I started doing that myself. It made the squad go faster.
In trap though, it's one shell only, you only get one target and one shot at it and then it's the next guy's turn to shoot. Unless you are shooting trap doubles or International trap where you are allowed to take a second shot at the same bird.
Very few shotgun clubs offer International or bunker trap due to the cost of building a bunker trap field. Even the clay birds used are different.

A lot of the above is why I don't like trap. The last time I shot regulation trap I showed up after duck hunting with my camo on and my 1100 Magnum. I only went because a friend of my buddy had opened the range and he had been begging me to go with him. There was one guy there with his scare jacket with patches, and his small posse, and he was spouting lots of misinformation. First round I shot a 24, and walking from the line I think I mumbled something like "24, not too bad." He promptly says in a pompous voice "You aren't supposed to count!" "I only count the misses", I replied. Next round he said something about my damned Remington not cycling. I said if you want me to bounce shells off you I'll be glad to get my other gun out of the truck. I shot a 25. "I didn't count that time" I said as I walked off the line.

I think this one word, "informal" in your thread title says a lot, and has for the most part been overlooked.
You're not talking about formally competing in an event. Just having some fun checking out your shotgun.

You don't think it is anybody else's business how many shells you load. Fine, just don't do it at a shoot

So every use of the range is an official match?

because you are endangering others including myself. That you think you have a right to put others at risk says something about who is too full of themselves.
How so? If safe handling is followed it doesn't matter if there is one shell in the gun or two, or three, four, five, or six.
Where the rules of an official competition says one, why not two if the guy is just trying out his field gun?
But I don't think the OP was necessarily talking about loading both barrels. Just wondering if the very presence of a side by side would offend the nose in the air country club types that obviously frequent shotgun ranges.
There was one guy there with his scare jacket with patches, and his small posse, and he was spouting lots of misinformation. First round I shot a 24, and walking from the line I think I mumbled something like "24, not too bad." He promptly says in a pompous voice "You aren't supposed to count!" "I only count the misses", I replied. Next round he said something about my damned Remington not cycling. I said if you want me to bounce shells off you I'll be glad to get my other gun out of the truck. I shot a 25. "I didn't count that time" I said as I walked off the line.

A lot of ranges will allow you to bend the rules a little if you are practicing by yourself and not with a squad of shooters.

For example, when shooting by myself, I asked the trapper if it was okay to shoot three from the 16 yard line and then back up and shoot two from the 20 yard line at each station and he said "sure". Since I was the only one shooting, it doesn't matter if I load two and then shoot two targets in a row. Just as long as I break the gun open before moving to the next station.

Cheapshooter says

How so? If safe handling is followed it doesn't matter if there is one shell in the gun or two, or three, four, five, or six.
Where the rules of an official competition says one, why not two if the guy is just trying out his field gun?

Tell it to the guys shot by those that always practice safe handling following loading multiple shells in disregard of posted safety rules - rules that apply whether or not an official competition is in progress. And yes, range officers will permit exceptions such as circumstances permit.

Ske1itor thinks it noteworthy that

duck blinds across the country are filled with Mossberg 500's and Remington 870's

in commenting on Virginian's tongue in cheek remark on how he is amazed that clay ranges aren't swamped with 500's and 870's given the number of posters that claim to frequently whip ass with their pumps. So what is your point, Ske1? The very guys shooting high dollar guns for clays are quite likely to shoot a Wingmaster or a Model 12 in a blind.

Last edited:
I frequently shoot a Wingmaster at ducks because I like to. My jibe was aimed at the perceived reverse class warfare type comments.

Cheapshooter says

Tell it to the guys shot by those that always practice safe handling following loading multiple shells in disregard of posted safety rules - rules that apply whether or not an official competition is in progress. And yes, range officers will permit exceptions such as circumstances permit.

Ske1itor thinks it noteworthy that

in commenting on Virginian's tongue in cheek remark on how he is amazed that clay ranges aren't swamped with 500's and 870's given the number of posters that claim to frequently whip ass with their pumps. So what is your point, Ske1? The very guys shooting high dollar guns for clays are quite likely to shoot a Wingmaster or a Model 12 in a blind.

My point? Clay makes a mighty thin gravy and turning your nose up at those who use a field gun instead of some fancy clay specific gun is pretty absurd.

Trouble with someone's gravy argument is that the OP opened this thread to ask what was proper on the clay field and not in the duck blind. As long as he wants to talk about the makings of gravy, is sitting in the blind really about making gravy or is it about sport. Which is the more economical way of putting meat on the table for most shooters would be an entirely different thread topic, but for most shooters wouldn't a trip to a market or farm be a lot less expensive when the cost of guns, gas, time, practice, ammunition, and all expenses of bagging those birds are factored in? One can easily spend the budget of a small country at their local Cabellas or Bass Pro.

As for turning their noses up at field gun shooters on the clay field, there is little of that but some. Most experienced clay shooters are concerned by whether persons with apparent no idea of clay field safety and etiquette will screw the regular shooters day of enjoyment. Then there are some snobs, but how about the snobs in the duck blinds? How welcome are green shooters that are likely to interfere serious shooters day of taking birds? Those are there more for talking, smoking, and having a good old time even if they disregard safety.

If you didn't notice, even the "gun snobs" with their competition guns more often than not own inexpensive hunters to take to the woods and many of those snobbish clubs hold events where everyone shoots inexpensive pumps. Moreover, many of the members of those snobbish clubs shoot clays with the same guns they use in a blind.

I remain more than amused by those who think that asking shooters to comply with safety rules is snobbery.

Last edited:
The gun in quwation is a 20 ga, 26"BBLStoger Uplander with Grade "A" Walnut, a straight cut "English-style" stock with a brushed nickel receiver and Water Table The rest is nicely Blued, double triggers and pressed checkering. It looks expensive and graces a rack with it's good looks!
A very nice looking Shotgun that fits my frame asthetically and physically perfect! The barrels shoot where I look! First time for me with a SxS!
I choose this gun to hunt with (if I could, I'm crippled), ghoose it for H/D (it's shorter than my 19 1/2" bbl Pump!) so it points quickly,
It's flexibility, with removable chokes and 3" chambers. It can do it all for my
I'm NOT trying to start trouble here or at the range
I doubt shooters who bring fine quality Doubles to the range don;t get hassles!
I want to do things correctly at the ranges.
ZVP

As long as you practice good safety, and as long as the range you visit isn't peopled by a$$holes, you'll be fine and have a good time. The vast majority of shooters welcome new blood and are glad to help if asked.

in disregard of posted safety rules - rules that apply whether or not an official competition is in progress.

The rules are the rules. I didn't say anything about violating them. Maybe if the OP is worried about what others think of his type of gun he needs to find a more fun friendly, informal place to shoot!:D

The gun in quwation is a 20 ga, 26"BBLStoger Uplander with Grade "A" Walnut, a straight cut "English-style" stock with a brushed nickel receiver and Water Table The rest is nicely Blued, double triggers and pressed checkering.

That gun shouldn't be a problem at most trap and skeet clubs.
From my local club:

Capital City Trap and Skeet website said:
No riot type guns allowed.
No guns permitted with barrels less than 26".
Only shot size 7 1/2, 8, 9 permitted.

Back