Do you "Text" while hunting in the stand?

How many of you text while hunting in the stand?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I see Maranda Lambert posting stuff on Facebook all the time while she's sitting in the stand with Blake Shelton....I think it's kinda funny.

No stands, but I did find myself completely bored and playing some games on my phone this year. (Sitting in an alcove in a rock face, watching a valley.)

Most of the area I hunt doesn't have any cell reception at all.
But, there was a logging company doing some work in the area this year, so they had a temporary tower set up. Hiking about half way up the mountain got me a pretty respectable signal from the temporary tower. It allowed me to get directions out to some down-on-their-luck hunters, so they could come meet up with me; and I sent a few text message status updates to the wife, over the week.

I go hunting to get away from all that. I do carry my cell phone, completely turned off, just in case I need to call for help, but it stays in my pack otherwise.

I go hunting to get away from all that. I do carry my cell phone, completely turned off, just in case I need to call for help, but it stays in my pack otherwise.
To begin with, I don't let my cellphone intrude on my life. So, I never feel the need to "get away" from it.
Even if I did... In the mountains, I may not have the time to wait 2 to 4 minutes for a smart phone to start up, should I need to make an emergency call. So, I keep it in Airplane Mode. It only takes about 5 seconds to turn off Airplane Mode and start searching for a signal.

This year: With about 1 hour of transmitting/receiving (acquiring a signal, checking 3 voicemails, sending/receiving about 12 text messages, checking for a weather update, and sending 1 photo), and 30-45 minutes playing some games on that rock face.... The battery charge lasted more than 5 days, and the phone was only turned off completely at night (1-2 am to 7-8 am), to prevent the cold temperature from affecting the battery's discharge rate.

I only turn off my phone if my entire family is sitting with me.

It's hunting, not church.

If real world is so bothersome, a hunting trip may not help you.

If I can get a signal yes. Helpful after the shot to help the others in my group know it was me. It is silent unlike the radio.

I do, and sometimes wish that I didn't. I let a nice 10 walk right under my stand, litterally, while bow hunting. I was sending my wife a text telling her that I wasn't seeing anything and I was on my way home.:(

Even where reception is bad your phone can sometimes be "pinged" to locate you. As long as it is left on. Turn off the ringer but not the phone.
You'd be surprised how many phones are actually "live" and listening for 'pings' when turned completely off, so long as the battery is still in it (some also require the sim card, if applicable). The amount of power needed to keep those circuits on is negligible and the battery can go for weeks without being seriously affected.

Last year, we had a lost Alzheimer's patient in the area, that was found via cell phone location. As it turns out, his phone had been turned off the entire time.
A few conversations with relatives in the local Sheriff's department revealed that most new phones (post 2003-2005) have those circuits live as long as the battery is in the phone and has even a very low charge. When I bought my last phone, I asked the store manager about the same topic. He verified that pretty much every phone in his store had the 'ping' function live as long as the battery was in the phone.

I don't hunt in a stand, but I do text while hunting. It's a good way to keep in touch with other members of the group without making any noise.

Me and my buddies take ours just to let everyone know if we get one or not. I'll take pics every once in a while. Video is pretty much worthless because my phone won't zoom on video..... Always on vibrate. I'm 51 buy the way, my buddies are all in there 30s

I do carry the phone cause it has a camera on it and comes in handy for quick pics afield.

Comes in very handy when walking up to a trespasser and snapping his pic. before our conversation. This has proven to have been very effective in stopping repeat offender's.

^^^ this, a camera phone is handy for snapping pics of license plates and faces..........and the results of a good day hunting :) I keep the phone on me in case something happens but try not to touch it otherwise.

Back