Do you "Text" while hunting in the stand?

How many of you text while hunting in the stand?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I often take my kids now they are older(20-23-25) when we go we all text. The area we hunt has people on occasion walking thru the area. I dont own the land and can not dictate who is there or not. We text if we see anyone to warn the others. Or like last year, my boy told of some deer heading to my area. I got a nice 10 point because of it. May have got him anyways. But I am thankful for the heads up.

I am 49

Lonny

Last edited:
If it needs a battery it ain't going in the woods with me. After dark is an exception but flash lights don't make funny sounds but I do if I fall.

First things first,
I am not happy with the age group you are calling the old guys! :mad:
I am only 59 and to be grouped in with old fellers, well that's just not right.
This whole poll and question is useless, ask the general public instead of a group that spends time on the Internet. A better question in a group like this is who uses more than three fingers while typing. ;)
yes I text with the grand kids, how ele am I to know to come in to the shack for breakfast?
My plans were not like this, but when the young ones don,t see much they don't tend to get out early. My only recourse now is to hunt hard and bring in some venison to show them that they have to be in the stands to get a deer! ;)

I mentioned it before but it bears repeating. There is a significant safety aspect directly related to knowing what is beyond your target in some cases.

It's normally impossible to know where someone might be if they are beyond your line of sight. Hitting them accidentally is a small percentage shot but it IS possible.

Your options are, every one goes into the woods, parks their behinds and STAYS PUT so we know where they are, use radios to communicate (still only an estimate of location unless you use expensive, single purpose, GPS-enabled radios), move only to and from predetermined places at predetermined times (still only an estimate), take your chances, or use GPS enabled phones that can show exact locations.

Phones are fantastic in this regard. No, not your TracPhone. You need high-end phones but the capability is impressive.

Combined with the emergency communication ability, the flashlight if my headlight dies, the camera for the kill or other cool shots and, finally, my thread LIVE! from the Stand!, I find the phone, not indispensable, but highly desirable.

Last year I took my tablet out for video game time in the stand, but I do not have a roof and it was snowing...so no tablet for me.

This year I will leave it at camp and stalk when I am bored.

Would be a good means for hunting buddies to communicate if there is a big buck coming your way but unfortunately electronic communication devices of any kind cannot be used to communicate information to aid in the hunt....at least in Georgia it's illegal.

Would be a good means for hunting buddies to communicate if there is a big buck coming your way but unfortunately electronic communication devices of any kind cannot be used to communicate information to aid in the hunt....at least in Georgia it's illegal.

Well that's pretty much the definition of an unenforceable law! What silliness!

I think some people, as peetza mention, are missing out on the true power of today's cell phones. So much more than texting or making phone calls.

I rarely use a computer for entertainment any more.

There's a myriad of apps perfect for the outdoorsman, many are free and most are reasonably priced.

I don't think it's wise to trek into the wilderness, many times in the winter with possibly unpredictable conditions, in pursuit of dangerous animals, without having a phone or turning it off. (Yes a deer can be very dangerous).

The iPhone I have will last for a couple of days if I don't play on it too much.

Not sure how they could enforce this but I imagine the game cops could find a way to railroad you for it since they are notorious for taking their jobs very seriously.
I usually erase all my texts after a hunt........that's all I gotta say about thayat.....in my best Forrest Gump voice.

I call BS..........

I call BS..........

You may call BS if you like but the same 'lame' law for deer hunting stands in Ohio as well.

"A deer hunter cannot use any device capable of transmitting or receiving a person's voice to aid in the hunting or taking of deer."

Are cell phones permitted in the deer woods? This is the question I posed - along with others on the topic - to OVO's Pro Staffers and writers/contributors of Ohio Valley Outdoor Times and Ohio Valley Outdoors magazine. The answers I received about the legality of using communication devices while hunting deer in Ohio were the same - "YES, I have my cell phone with me, but do not use it while pursuing deer."

That's the correct answer, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources' hunting regulations. They say: "A Deer Hunter Can Do the Following -- 6. Possess a communication device as long as you do not use the device to aid a person in pursuing or taking of deer."

It is the same lame law alright....I still call BS..not for the fact that it is a law(there seems to be plenty laws that don't make sense)..but that it is another ignorant law....

They think it is a violation of " fair chase" and gives hunters more of an advantage if you can communicate electronically to organize your hunting efforts.
It is considered and unfair advantage.

I consider it safe actually, for instance:

Say your buddy texts you that he is getting out of his stand and will be slowly walking in a certain direction towards you.
In this case you are alerted that the noises you hear and the movement you see in the thick brush may be human, not animal.

I am not one to even think about shooting unless I can identify and have have a clean shot of what I am shooting at......AND in this case I may even postpone a potential shot at an animal if I know my buddy may be walking in the general vicinity......especially during archery with no blaze orange on.

I think this type of communication is beneficial to the safety of hunters and they need to lay off the fairness crap a bit as there are plenty of yahoos that will shoot at any movement in the brush without identifying it so it may actually save a life if Billy Bob could warn Beauergard that's he's a comin' up the knob towards him.

You are correct Keg.

It is NOT against the law to have your cell phone, walkie talkie's etc. while deer hunting in Ohio. And NOT against the law to communicate on them while hunting.

It IS against the law to use them in PURSUIT of game.

I.E.:
This would be legal:

that he is getting out of his stand and will be slowly walking in a certain direction towards you.
In this case you are alerted that the noises you hear and the movement you see in the thick brush may be human, not animal.

This would NOT be legal:
my boy told of some deer heading to my area.

We regularly carry walkie talkie's and cell phone's especially during any gun season and have been approached by ODNR for random checks. The standard questions/inspections asked and done. Never an issue when it came to them. But I'm sure had our walkie's been monitored and there had been conversation of pursuing deer, the outcome may be different.

Yeah I do. I text other hunters in the club to let them know when I start seeing deer or see something odd and to check if they are alright. It can be a life-saver if one gets injured....

Quote:
Are cell phones permitted in the deer woods? This is the question I posed - along with others on the topic - to OVO's Pro Staffers and writers/contributors of Ohio Valley Outdoor Times and Ohio Valley Outdoors magazine. The answers I received about the legality of using communication devices while hunting deer in Ohio were the same - "YES, I have my cell phone with me, but do not use it while pursuing deer."

That's the correct answer, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources' hunting regulations. They say: "A Deer Hunter Can Do the Following -- 6. Possess a communication device as long as you do not use the device to aid a person in pursuing or taking of deer."
It is the same lame law alright....I still call BS..not for the fact that it is a law(there seems to be plenty laws that don't make sense)..but that it is another ignorant law....
I too don't understand this. Its not like you're altering deer movement or coercing them toward another hunter. When people do deer drives they communicate and tell one another where deer are heading. That is a silly law IMO.

Last edited:
That is a silly law IMO.

Yes it is.
Along with Ohio's law of not allowing the use of rifle's when deer hunting. But we can use an inline bp that's capable of a 200yd shot. And the ever so short black powder season when ODNR's goal is to drastically reduce the deer population throughout the state. :rolleyes:
We've increased our shotgun season by a weekend but with much pleading and proving to ODNR the great increase in popularity of black powder hunting in Ohio, still can't get the 'powers to be' to extend the season.

Back