do you need a BUG? I do.

Hi MLeake,
Yes, you are correct. I guess I have not considered that.
However, I don't see a need for a BUG.
Thanks for correcting me.

Regards,
Jerry

I am not a fan of using any sort of folding knife for self defense. The strongest folder in the world is still far more fragile than even a run of the mill fixed blade knife. When I carry a knife for SD, it's this one:

http://www.barkriverknifetool.com/Archive/CustomsLE/Slither/knife.htm

But most of the time my backup is my Model 66.

I have enough to deal with carrying one gun. The folding Kbar is very fast opening, extremely strong lock, plus sharp enough to shave with. I have the fixed blade also which is quicker draw, but like the concealed folder best because all you see is the clip. I really didn't think if use the folder and almost didn't order, but its what I always carry on weak side with my pistol IWB

I'm not in a war zone, I'm not an LEO. I'm John Doe citizen and the odds I'm gonna need one gun is slim, the odds I'm gonna need 2 are astronomical. I refuse to do anything for astronomical odds.

Most days I carry two, a j frame OWB, or a LC9 IWB, and my LCP in my back pocket. I also carry a Barlow pocket knife every day.

On occasion I will just carry the LCP to work,and two other guys in the office also carry LCP's so I'm covered there.

But I also have a 1911 45 acp in my truck for while I'm on the road.(and yes I take it out at night and put it in the house)

I put an LCP in my back pocket when I put my pants on in the morning and take it out before I take my pants off at night. I don't think of it as a BUG but as an all-the-time-gun. I have an M&P45 two feet away most of the day if there is a need. I don't expect there to ever be a need.

I posted earlier that I infact carry a XDS and a Kershaw Blur Tanto

However I DO sometimes carry a bug.

I like to buy and resell stuff, from guns to tools to antiques.

Generally when selling a high dollar item and meeting someone from online or a local ad, I carry a full size 1911 under a button up shirt, I will slide my XDS to cross draw, knife in my reaction hand side pocket, and generally I always have a second person who is also armed as well.

No offense but the internet is full of whack jobs :p, and I do not like the feeling of meeting in a parking lot where people know I will have a high dollar item.

I also make sure its;
1 - on turf I know
2 - as public as possible
3- I do not give a description of my car
4- I generally will wait down the street and show up 10-15 mins late and look for them.

I think if I was that nervous, I'd meet them in a store or in a gas station or something.
Me, I'm not that nervous. We live in a town population of 2000 and I know things happen here and me being a police officer I run a lot of the calls but I usually meet in town in a parking lot because its easier to find than coming down so many dirt roads but I'm always carrying conceiled also.

If circumstances were different and I was in a riskier occupation, then a BUG would be a must.

But I'm just an old guy who doesn't get into dicey situations, so my pocket pistol is all I carry. And I sincerely hope I never need to draw it.

Bug always, because a lcp is only 12oz more. Sometimes things drop/fall/break, etc thats why you get bug.

LCP even fits in my skinny jeans front pocket, you can't tell me you don't have room for it lol.

"Civilians" are attacked and robbed/killed/raped far more often than the police. And oh yeah, there's a reason why the street cop carries his firearm out in the open for all to see, and receives less aggressive behavior directed towards him than Joe-Schmo. Somehow, somewhere, some way, a lot of us have started referring to ourselves as "civilians", as if law enforcement folks are not, and because of this we arm ourselves and prepare to thwart a lethal attack in a different manner. I carry a BUG for the same reason an officer of the law does, and have even MORE call to do so. Among other factors is the irrefutable fact that his backup will arrive far more quickly than mine will.

GunnyBob - those are some interesting points I had not previously considered. I'm giving that some thought even as I type.

I carry concealed daily but I'm not going to carry a secondary weapon. Even though I am prepared, I know that the odds of me actually having to use my weapon are very, very low.

The odds of me being in a situation where my primary has gone down and I have to transition to a secondary are so low, they're probably in the win-the-lottery category. Granted, it's the bad-news lottery, but I'm going to take the risk.

2 is 1 & 1 is none.....

There is a old US armed forces & LE saying that;
2 is 1 & 1 is none. ;)

As posted, if you are a concealed carry license holder or armed citizen, the real need for a back up or 2nd gun is low but newer lightweight styles make carrying a 2nd gun way more better than in the 1990s 1980s.

ClydeFrog

Gunnybob that's funny. I believe Leo carries their gun on outside because every stop they make or every call they go to they may have to get it quick or even use it. How many times have you had to point yours at someone or even shoot at an individual this year? To help others and to maintain laws and haul some to jail, well sometimes we (Leo) have to use firearms. I might try to hand some handcuffs to an irate individual one day and ask him if he will put them on and get in my back seat and see how that goes. He'll probably beat me with em. Lol

I'm not in a war zone, I'm not an LEO. I'm John Doe citizen and the odds I'm gonna need one gun is slim, the odds I'm gonna need 2 are astronomical. I refuse to do anything for astronomical odds

I agree, especially also carrying reloads for both - I wouldn't have enough pockets

I have never seen the need for a backup and am unlikely to ever get myself in a position where I might ... I always carry an extra mag, but that's as far as I'm going to go, given that I'm in shorts all year and pocket carry almost exclusively ...

+1 MLeake re assisted knives ... had a Chive open in my pocket despite the safety and damn near cut a finger off ... never again ... I have a few like that, but they stay in the house where I can keep an eye on them ... my carry knife is a Spyderco Native, on my second one now ...

I have never had my Blur Tanto open on my, and its clipped in my front pocket all day every day. Maybe because the Chive is pretty small? How were you carrying it?

Not calling you a liar, just trying to get the facts so I don't end up castrating myself getting out of my car lol.

I've also carried a Kershaw spring assisted clipped in front pocket for about 12 years. Never had premature opening.

HK, it was a long time ago, I was working in San Francisco and of course couldn't carry a firearm ... My recollection is it was clipped to my right front pocket, I reached in and it had opened enough to cut open a finger ... needed a few stitches and a new pair of Dockers ... that's when I moved to the Native ... actually faster to open since you don't have to mess with the little safety button ... it could have had something to do with the size, the Chive is pretty small ... always amazed me how little I actually felt, it was so sharp I didn't realize I'd been cut until I realized blood was dripping everywhere ...

Had a Kershaw open in luggage. Probably my fault as I had it in bag with other gadgets. I prefer the Sypderco hole as compared to studs. Cut my thumb once when it slid off the stud. :eek:

Back