do you need a BUG? I do.

90% of the time i carry a bug. nowadays its either a sig p226 or beretta m9. im one of the very rare few who carry a full size piece as a back up.

To each their own. I agree with the comment that carrying a gun makes it a BUG. I met someone last year at my gun club who stated he routinely carries 3 guns (IWB, shoulder rig, ankle). He also stated that he keeps a loaded available firearm in EVERY room of his house. If my daily life put me into situations in dangerous places where the need for a gun was more than a remote possibility I might feel differently, but right now I think one gun is more than reasonable.

No BUG or knife for me. Even if legal I would not carry a BUG. With the miniscule probabilities of an attack, and considering the range and time of a shootout, I think it is a waste of space, and weight.

If I need a knife I am already dead probably.

Jerry

I don't carry a BUG as part of my normal routine. Carrying a concealed firearm in the highly unlikely event of ever needing it is enough for me. It makes some sense for a uniformed cop or something but IMHO it's a little overkill for most people to do everyday. That said, I fully support anyone that wishes to carry one.

If I need a knife I am already dead probably.
You need to change that mindset. If you have a knife, you're still in the fight, you still have deadly force on your side, and you can still win.

I just about always carry a folding knife... 100% of the times I've used it was for opening things. However it's good to know it's there.

I carry a spare mag but never a BUG. Between my carry gun, extra mag, cell phone, keys, and wallet, fitting another handgun somewhere would be way too uncomfortable for me at least.

If i cant settle the matter with 15 rounds of .40 i wont settle it with a BUG. Just my .02. If that does not work then its good old USMC hand to hand LOL

The BUG isn't for the extra rounds as much as the primary being disabled.

Yep, it's rare but the black swan can poop on you on the way to the Onion field.

If you are not LEO, I don't see it . JMHO

IF, you decide to carry a gun for self defense, and IF you are every in an armed encounter and IF during said encounter you have a problem with your main gun, a BUG could just save you that day.

Or depending on how you carry your main gun a BUG may be carried in a more accessible spot and become your main gun. For example, during cooler months I carry my main in a shoulder holster. If for some reason access is difficult I can use my BUG which is AIWB (appendix inside waist).

I know it is a lot of maybe this and that but for me it is worth the effort.

At work, I carry two guns. A glock 22 in a duty holster and a 642 in my pocket or ankle. The Glock is very secure in a level III holster. I reach down and touch it a few times a day and push on the mag to make sure its seated. It also helps reinforce the muscle memory of where the gun is.

I occasionally pat my pocket to make sure the 642 is where its supposed to be.

Off duty, generally, one gun is enough. Really, my biggest fear would be keeping up with two guns. Groceries, public bathrooms, carrying stuff around, whatever. Its easy to get distracted. I would hate to lose a gun because I'm not in the right mindset of carrying two guns, both concealed, both in less than fully secure holsters. I suppose I could retrain myself, but, generally, I'm good with one when I'm just out and about.

A S&W Airlite .38 in a Galco ankle holster is usually on me except when wearing shorts of course. Its an old habit from LEO days. The Airlite is only about 10 oz and isn't much of a burden. I like ankle carry for some situations and consider the Airlite as either a primary or BUG depending on circumstances. The ankle position is good for easier access when seated or on the ground, etc. The need for a BUG for more rounds or to use if the other fails is a minimal concern for me. Also, if there is some need to remove the firearm carried on the waist, the .38 on the ankle can be less detectable.

I always have a knife but consider it a tool. In some sort of very close fight, I would rather have a stick, cane, hammer, big rock since my knife fighting skills are limited and I don't like getting cut...I want some distance. The knife can be a weapon but not a very good one for most people. There are some thugs who are much more skilled with a blade/shank and less concerned with taking some cuts.

I never open carry. If I thought that to be a good idea in the more urban/suburban areas I frequent, I wouldn't bother with the effort and expense to have a concealed permit. A LEO with a retention holster on a stout duty belt and the authority of a badge and having other weapons and a partner or backup is different. Also, there are those who will target you to get the gun. They can be quite valuable and a very good score for a criminal.

I figure if I'm out and about and have that very rare encounter where I need my gun and then have an uncommon occurance where said gun is inoperable then obviously God is finally tired of my humor and has taken great steps to eliminate it from this Earth. A BUG probably won't change His mind.

I figure if I'm out and about and have that very rare encounter where I need my gun and then have an uncommon occurance where said gun is inoperable then obviously God is finally tired of my humor and has taken great steps to eliminate it from this Earth. A BUG probably won't change His mind.

Plus one! If you're not in law enforcement you really don't need a bug...I know I'll probably get flamed but I've Been carrying since age 25(61 now). Was LEO for just one year. In that time I never needed my weapon. What are the odds that a civilian ccw will even need his primary????
I guess if it makes you feel better go ahead, don't see it myself and sure don't need the extra weight!

I was surprised that people responded they wont carry a knife. Ever since I was a boy and went into the scouts, I never left home without some form of a knife in my pocket. Every guy I know carries a blade, be it a small folding, a Swiss army, a multi-tool or a fixed blade. I guess I just took it for granted that not everyone does, lol.

My current knife Ive had for a couple years is this one.
http://www.kershaw-knives.net/Kershaw-Crown-3160.php

Back