do you need a BUG? I do.

fullsize only

I am one of those better to have it and not need it kind of people. But I was thinking about losing the BUG, maybe carry a knife instead, but that sounds like it could be a insufficient backup. I currently carry a m85 as a backup, but I may never need it. What are some of your opinions about carrying a BUG.

The way I look at it my primary carry gun is a BUG -- it is my last resort. I might feel differently if I wasn't a home body, lived in a different area, or found myself in risky situations more often. There is no doubt that they can and do save lives.

After exploring the idea myself and doing some reading, I've personally think a knife is a poor choice for self defense. It's not because it's not effective. It can be real effective in the hands of someone who knows how to use it... even at the ranges associated with a typical gun fight.

The problem is the knife is the hallmark of the bad guy. Think about this hypothetical situation: You are in a convenience store. The guy at the counter pulls a gun on the clerk. He looks at you and tells you to stay where you are or he'll kill you. You feel like he's going to kill you and the clerk anyway. Wanting to stop the threat, you pull your carry knife, sneak up behind him, and slice his carotid artery He remains a threat for about 1.5 seconds and then he's done. Now think how that might land on a jury... I believe the guy with a knife who knows how to use it is going to jail... almost every time -- that's a scary dude that people just can't relate to. I feel like the person who used a gun to stop the threat would have a much better defense in court.

I don't have much to base my theory of knives on, so I could easily be wrong. It's just the way I currently perceive things.

Here in New Mexico we can only carry one concealed handgun. A knife is my backup. If I felt that I was in imminent danger of losing my life I would use my knife if I had to. I really don't think that a jury would convict someone who is trying to save a life, whatever the weapon; especially if the bad guy has a gun pulled and it's pretty certain that that his intent is to do harm.

I don't buy the argument that someone defending himself/herself with a knife would be viewed as a "criminal."

I've thought about carrying a second weapon, but instead I've been carrying pepper spray in addition to a firearm. For me, it's an escalation of force issue, a backup of very last resort, and in a few places, it becomes my primary carry when I'm not allowed to carry a pistol. I can thing of plenty of unavoidable incidents that require a physical response, but do not justify the use of lethal force.

But I thought you could open carry in NM; if so, you could conceal a BUG while open carrying a main.

Then again, some folks don't like open carry.

I have mixed feelings on it - I think it should be legal, but I don't find it practical in most situations.

I've never seen the need for a bug and really can't imagine realistically that I would never one.

That said, I have no issue that people carry then.

The problem with CC and a BUG in Arkansas is this: All of the Arkansas statutes on CHCLs (the Arkansas legal term) speak in terms of a license to carry a concealed handgun. Singular. For example:

The Director of the Department of Arkansas State Police shall issue a license to carry a concealed handgun if the applicant: . . . .

Ark. Code Ann. § 5-73-309 (West)(Emphasis supplied)

The theory is that:

1. The primary fails. If you shoot a great deal, you see primaries fail beyond a tap, rack, bang.

2. You are disarmed by:

a. injury to gun hand or damage to gun. You see a lot of guns and hands get 'shot' in training because you tend to have your hands COM and/or your opponent looks at your gun and shoots that way. I have a revolver that had a Code Eagle splash on front cylinder face.

b. Trip and fall and primary skitters away.

c. Someone gets the drop on you and takes your gun - and surprise you have another.

That's the theory for an incident that goes beyond the standard.

My primary CCW is a Commander Size 1911. I shoot it frequently and change the springs before they are due. I clean it every time it gets shot. It has never failed me.

However, being a Vietnam Veteran, I owe my life to the fact that when my M-16 went "click", I had a 1911 on my hip that went "boom" when I pulled the trigger. Both the rifle and the pistol were cleaned several times a day and well maintained.

Knowing that even the most reliable of machines can fail at the most unexpected times, I always carry a BUG which is a 3" 1911. I use it because I can take the magazines from the 4" gun and it will fit into the 3" gun. (Not so the other way around.) Always nice to have that sense of extra security.

I do not know any LEO's that do not have a BUG. Must be a reason.

If I attempted to strap 2 guns to my belt I'd either have to cinch my belt so tight I'd be in danger of loosing all blood supply to my legs, or wind up with my pants around my ankles.
If I were going somewhere where I felt there was a reasonable chance I'd have to use my gun I might decide to carry a BUG - and would almost certainly wear my vest - but for me a second gun sort of seems like a second seat belt.

I carry my 640 Pro as my BUG.

The fact that you are in a lethal encounter in the first place is a mathematical anomaly. Mr Murphy and I are well acquainted.

Just because you carry a lethal weapon does not mean it come to that in every situation. Use good gear, use a secure holster(s) and learn conflict management and unarmed self defense. Self defense is a total package, not just a gun. The gun is the last option, the BUG is for when things have really, really gone badly.

If I attempted to strap 2 guns to my belt I'd either have to cinch my belt so tight I'd be in danger of loosing all blood supply to my legs, or wind up with my pants around my ankles.

You don't have to put a backup gun on your belt. It can go in a pocket, ankle holster, smart carry, belly band, belt buckle, or on a string around your neck.:D

fullsize only
do you need a BUG? I do.

This is just my list, but I believe that there are a handful of items that every person should carry on a daily basis.

#1 Knife/Multi-Tool
#2 Flashlight
#3 Handgun
#4 Pepper Spray
#5 Wallet/ID/Money/CC
#6 Cell Phone/Wireless Device

I'd forego an extra gun and make sure I carry the rest of the items.

I don't carry one or feel the need to.

I do understand the potential value of having one, and I don't think less of anyone who chooses to carry one. It's just not something that I currently feel the need for in my particular living circumstances.

Last edited:
If I attempted to strap 2 guns to my belt
Hmm nooz. I put one on my belt, the other on ankle or upper chest shoulder holster under my arm pitt. [Kangergorow holster] You could buy next size up?

Back