Do y'all carry in your house?

Yes. I do carry in the house. May not be on my belt since I still have to get my CHL but there is always a gun within reach. Whether it is mine or not. That is a different question. We are packing in our house. Heavily and everywhere but the bathroom!

Heavily and everywhere but the bathroom!
Why not the bathroom? Not being a SA, just curious because whenever I'm in the shower or "in the library," the gun simply comes off the holster and sits on the vanity. Easy, quick reach and it's the last place I want to get caught with my pants down, so to speak.

It is my responsibility to protect my wife, so I always have easy access to my weapon at all times. I don't actually holster it very often in the house, but we have taken many precautions on other security aspects. As long as the doors are closed and locked, it won't be easy for the average creep to get inside and it will take a lot of noise to do that. We likewise have an alarm with motion detectors at night and some other internal precautions within our house itself. Security is a multi-faceted approach with layers of protection instead of just a single device to count on, including the gun. But the gun is always within arms reach 90% of the time. We don't answer the door unless we are expecting someone. My wife has all of her friends trained on that issue already. No surprise visits.

I have cameras placed at my front door, back door and front garage door that I can access through my television and computer. I normally don't carry while at home but there is a firearm in reach when I am @ my computer and while I am watching tv and Three weapons loaded(Glock,Taurus and S&W) beside my bed every night that I go to sleep. I carry most everytime I go outside because there are plenty places for would be clowns to hide.

OP, the simplest answer to your question is yes. Always. With the rates of home invasions going up, and up, it only makes sense to do so. You may not have the 10 seconds it takes to get to your glock.

If someone busts in the front door gun drawn, 10 seconds is too long. In fact I would wager to say the 10 seconds is what the BG is hoping for.

For decades, I kept a loaded handgun in a drawer in the bedroom without really thinking much about it.

Someone on here or on THR posed the question about carrying at home; the idea seemed outlandish at first. Someone else asked about whether people keep a gun in each room.

Caused me to think.

Didn't take long at all to realize that, if someone were to break in when I was anywhere other than the bedroom, I would, depending upon the circumstance, either be (1) forced to retreat to the bedroom to get the gun, possibly leaving family members in danger and possibly losing the foot race, or (2) cut off from the weapon. The latter is more likely with our home layout.

I don't like the idea of stashing weapons in multiple locations around the house, so the solution was obvious indeed.

All over the house

I have guns all over the house, drawer in the bar near my pool table, bedside, office, family room by my chair. I usually place one in the room where it's inconspicuous but very handy in a low key way. I had hundreds of thousands of dollars in stereo equipment in my living room and substantial cash coming into the house from my stereo business I was operating out of the home. I got out of the stereo business but enough people know I have money coming in and out selling gems, coins, and watches to keep me on high security.

I'm familiarizing myself with a new Ruger Mil Pro .40 so I carry it around the house and lay it down close to where I am. That gives me a chance to get a good feel for it.

When I was actively showing things for sale by appointment out of the home I carried on my person in case I got an iffy customer. I had some problems so the extra degree of security saved me a few times.

We decided the risk exposure of running a high dollar business out of the home wasn't for us so we got out of the stereo business and moved.

I keep my Mossberg Maverick 88 with me where ever I go in my home. I always have it within arms reach weather its bed time or at the computer, or in the kitchen. It is equipped with a 18.5" barrel and I always keep 5 rounds of Remington Nitro Turkey 3" #5 shot in the tube. I don't care if people say you need buck shot! From the front to the back of my house it's about 40 feet. Its all close quarters in a cramped up townhouse which has been broken into in the past. I also keep my Gun inches from where I sleep along with my SOG Fusion Tomahawk, oh how I love that thing! It can be throw, and has a spike, which is able to pierce steel plating, and a blade to cut into skulls!

That's the same line of thinking that says folks who CCW outside their homes might kill an innocent bystander thinking them to be a threat. Why would a person be any less responsible at home than they are out and about in the world?

Have you given any thought what so ever:

If you were carrying, you might have a dead roommate ??
William Petit's wife and two daughters are dead because no one was carrying at home. The two home invaders who raped them, tied them up, then set the house on fire and left them to burn were armed with a baseball bat and a BB gun. It's almost inconceivable that the homeowners wouldn't have prevailed had they been armed.

In fact, one of the killers says Petit could have saved his family...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat..._says_william_petit_was_coward_who_could.html

Here's a quote from one of the killers.
"If you don't want to defend your family, then take your chances with the criminal while police sit outside and follow protocol," he continued, referring to the fact that law enforcement arrived on the scene and were roping off the area outside the home while the two assailants were still inside committing the horrific murders.​

I'm just saying the argument can go both ways.

sometimes

If I'm planning on leaving or have just come home my CCW usually stays in my pocket. If I'm home and don't plan on leaving the CCW goes into the coffee table drawer for quick access and the Mossberg 590A1 gets placed beside the bed.

I always have a mouse gun in my pocket .Eather a beretta 21a or my seecamp 32. The past few years things have changed in the world . Some people have no respect for others. Are you happy to see me or is that a mouse in your pocket :D

As I've gotten older, I find myself carrying inside the house more & more. There's always been guns with-in quick reach all thru the home, but I mean I've actually been carrying one on my person more & more. I have no enemies, live in a good area of town and am not paranoid. What really affected me was reading about all the home invasions of random people who were often times assaulted, raped or killed by total strangers just choosing some house at random. I don't want to ever be in a position where that happens to my loved ones.

It goes without saying that I am always armed outside.

Can we talk about crime statistics for a moment? I don't wish to minimize the dangers of home invasions or other crimes but I have seen the statment "going up" one too often. So I did some research.

To begin with, a home invasion is not a legally defined term in the United States, even though it may be a generally accepted media expression. The closest approximation in crime statistics may be robbery. If you aren't home, it's a burglary. If you are home and someone knocks down your front door and bursts in, apparently, judging from postings on this forum, it is most likely the police who got the house number wrong.

Be that as it may be, I checked nine different cities on the web site for the Detroit Free Press, which has a more or less easy to use data base of FBI crime statistics for the years 2005 through 2009 by state and city. I don't live in a city, but in Fairfax County, Virginia, so I can't check the statistics for where I live. I did check Alexandria, however. I also checked Roanoke, VA, Santa Barbara, Bakersfield, and San Francisco in California, Flagstaff, AZ, El Paso, Birmingham, Alabama, and Princeton, West Virginia, my hometown.

The results were interesting even though "home invasion" isn't a statistic. In all cases for violent crime, including robberies and murders, and for property crimes, including burglaries, the absolute numbers in all those categories except in El Paso, which had an increase in violent crime but a decrease in murders and in Bakersfield, which also had an increase in violent crime as well as a decrease in murders. I might note that the number of murders in Birmingham, Alabama, was over five times the number of murders in El Paso, Texas. Even Bakersfield, California, had twice the number of murders as El Paso.

I quickly admit my sampling was just a sample and not necessarily going to represent an average but it sure doesn't look like one can say that "home invasions are going up, up" without any exaggeration. I also point out that these are simple numbers and not rates, which I looked at a few months ago when someone asked about Orlando, Florida. That was when I discovered my hometown had quite high crime rates.

I'd still recommend locking your doors at night, all the same.

Back