Do y'all carry in your house?

In the original post, someone got out of bed, made it down the hallway, and down the stairs. That isn't exactly carrying or, not carrying, at home.

Unless we have guests, I do not get dressed up with jammies and such to make a nocturnal visit to the whizzer or to start a pot of caffene cooking.

Taking out the trash or other such early morning outdoor chores are, usually, a tad different. Those outdoor chores are around 0430 and some of my new neighbors are still trying to find their way home.

Like Tam implied, for me, if I'm presentable to go out, I'm carrying.

salty

Despite that, over the past few years, I have had two close friends and one acquaintance murdered. All were surprised in their quiet neighborhood homes (well, one in her front yard)

I hate to hear that. I know it is hard to lose someone close. To lose three in such a way and so close together is something I can't imagine.

It also reminds me of something that happened to my dad. He was out walking my grand-ma's dog in the front yard. A mini-van pulled up, two guys jumped out, and one yelled, "this is a robbery." He pulled his Colt reproduction out and said, "I don't think so." The guys jumped back in and took off.

Two days later the paper had a story about a group of guys in a mini-van that were jumping out and robbing people on the street. They had slightly injured two or three people and put one elderly man in the hospital. If it hadn't been for the Colt under his coat, my dad could have been that man.

The robbers had been hitting in all kinds of neighborhoods. The use of their car meant they could strike any where and be across town before the cops had a chance to respond.

threecharley: "Times have changed bro incase ya haven't noticed. carrying around the house doesn't make you parinoid' it makes you ready! "

It doesn't take reading too many Armed Citizen columns to tell us that much. The "it can't happen to me" frame of mind can be dangerous. If a BG can rob you in an alley, grocery store or parking lot, why not in your back yard, driveway or living room?

All the time

I carry at least one of my guns all the time. From morning to night. I just need to get my wife to do the same.

Home invasions happen everywhere, regardless if your neighborhood is good or bad. Just because a nice looking elderly person is knocking on your door, doesn't mean a couple of people can't be waiting around the house. I will always rather be prepared.

i carry at home and keep the gun handy at night while sleeping. there usually isnt any advanced notice that something bad is going to happen.

My gun is always on me or within easy reach. Since I'm retired, I'm always watching my place and the neighborhood. I usually don't go to sleep till very late. So, I watch and listen. It's actually quite relaxing. And, I've got two pairs of keen eyes and ears (my dogs) helping me.

Granted that at least two Commanders and an 870 are mandatory for taking a shower or visiting the 'reading room', where do you wear them?

Tacky attempt at levity aside, if I am dressed, I'm straped. 'Always' is a looong word.

salty

Tamara said:
I carried one when I lived out in the woods in a place where I never locked my front door for the whole six years I lived there and I had not a care in the world about crime. I carried it because I felt like it and that's all the reason I need. Folks can just deal with it.
I hear you. I'll be moving to the country quite soon, and right now the only thing that changes for me is caliber. Folks where I'm going don't generally lock their doors either, and I've already been chastized by family for maintaining my carry habits when I'm up there. Tough.

Some people become so paranoid that I wonder how life can have any pleasure for them.

Perhaps Teuthis (and a few other posters) need to read this old thread "Suburban homeowners view firearms as insurance"

Or I'll copy from something I wrote on another site a while back....

We are all familiar with insurance Policies, those contractual bets placed against the possibility of harm or damage coming to your property, your loved ones, or yourself. You know, the ones you invest heavily into, praying that you will never, EVER, need them.

I have several types of insurance policies in my life and without exception I find them all annoying. They constantly consume time, money, and space I would rather utilize in another manner and they are all utterly useless.

Useless, that is, unless the dice roll against you and they are needed.

When that happens you suddenly find yourself sending praises to the heights, thankful that you were prepared, that you were SMART enough and RESPONSIBLE enough to underwrite against such a possibility.

This mindset holds true if we are talking about health insurance or automobile insurance or fire insurance or renters insurance but here is something you may never have considered, we are also talking about the mindset of the typical concealed carry weapon (CCW) permit holder.

I understand that this may be a stunning revelation to many people, but the typical CCW holder considers his or her personal sidearm yet another personal insurance policy, no more, no less.

Last edited:
That's funny. I have some life insurance but there's no bet involved. It's almost a sure thing that I'll die. I just don't know when and I doubt an exception will be made in my case.

Now, another thing here is that somehow people think that it's safer to live in the country or a small town. At least according to one source, it just isn't so. True, one side of town might be a little safer to live in than the other but 30 miles out in the country won't necessarily be so. All the same, I'm surprised that people who say they live in the country leave their doors unlocked, yet carry a gun in the house.

I wonder if Elmer Keith or Skeeter Skelton carried around the house?

This is another low risk, high consequence debate. It is not hard to have a small gun on you.

Now what's the chance of ending up like the Petit family in a nice neighborhood? Very, very low.

I wouldn't want to be that Dad - and he probably has worse psychological difficulties than paranoia now.

The low risk argument is silly in a sense. Most of us will never use the gun. Also one can have a modicum of firearms utility without taking a shower with the AR slung.

But I don't find it hard to sit around with a small gun, small Spyderco and small Surefire. I've used the last two quite a bit in household chores without having to go get it. The lights do go out. Things need to be cut or opened.

Hopefully, the little gun won't be used. As a psychologist, a precaution that does not affect your everyday actions in a major fashion isn't paranoia.

Glenn E Meyer said:
As a psychologist, a precaution that does not affect your everyday actions in a major fashion isn't paranoia.

That's an interesting definition. Serious question, based on that quote.... If someone wears a layer of tinfoil inside their baseball cap to prevent mind alterations by alien spacecraft signals, would that be paranoia? I mean, it doesn't really effect their life but still....

On the OP, I wear a gun in the house when I have it on for some other reason. Basically, when I get dressed I wear a gun. I don't carry one around with me in the pocket of my bath robe and if I'm sitting there in the morning drinking a cup of coffee then the gun is still in the safe. When I get dressed, it gets holstered and it stays holstered until I undress. 90% of the time, anyway.

I agree that is it one way to make certain that no one gets a loaded firearm in your house. No child can kill if it is not available for them to grab.

BlueTrain said:
All the same, I'm surprised that people who say they live in the country leave their doors unlocked, yet carry a gun in the house.

I didn't say I "carr{ied} a gun in the house", I said I carried a gun.

I don't carry a gun in anyplace. I don't carry a gun to anyplace. I don't carry a gun for any specific reason, or because I'm afraid something might happen.

I just carry a gun. It's just a gun. It's no big deal. It's not like it's some ticking nuclear detonator or a rabid velociraptor. It's not going to suddenly go off and maim everybody in the room or wipe out the neighborhood. It's just a gun. Why do I need some special reason or fear to tote it around with me, other than "I feel like it" or "It matches my shoes"?

I understand some people do some kind of complicated risk factor analysis every day about whether this place is dangerous or that place isn't or which gun they should tote today or whatever. You know, if that makes them happy, then more power to them. I'm a gun person. I like guns. Personally, I'd carry my gun in heaven. Just because.

People do all kinds of stuff I don't get, like getting their noses pierced or going to churches where they roll around and talk funny or buying SUVs they'll never take off road, and I don't worry my pretty little head about why they're doing it. It's a free country. "Because I want to" works perfectly fine for me. Apparently other people just gotta know why.

Every place has risks. If you live in town, your risk of being attacked is proportionately higher, but the police will probably respond pretty fast if you need them. If you live in the country, your risk of being attacked is proportionately lower, but the police will probably respond very slowly no matter how badly you need them. Having a firearm immediately available to you reduces both types of risk: the risk of being attacked, or the risk of having to deal with a bad situation on your own for an extended amount of time.

And Tamara's right about almost* everything she said above: you don't need a "special" reason to carry a firearm. It's just a gun. No mystic powers. Just another tool to be dropped in a pocket or slung on the belt. Living out here where cell tower coverage is spotty, I frankly have a harder time deciding whether or not my cell phone is worth the hassle on any given day!

pax

* What? Oh, the velociraptors. I'm pretty sure they can't get rabies, not being mammals.

Back