Do y'all carry in your house?

a, I love the way every word that one uses is picked apart.

oneounceload - Immediate terror: Dread, a disconcerted feeling, thinking "Oh jeez, the one time I need my weapon it's not on my hip."

This is not to be confused with panic or complete hysteria, and start blasting at everything that moves. There's a difference between entering fight or flight mode and completely sh!tting the bed.

And if you live where you feel that dread, perhaps you need to move - some of us do not have that constant feeling of dread, or the paranoia that every time we step out of our cocoon we must be ready to battle a galactic armada, even when we go to the mailbox. But if I HAD a non-spousal room mate, I would make damn sure I knew their habits - such as stepping out early for a smoke

Amazing how folks who complain about words being picked apart are the first to post vague non responses to real world scenarios - hope you don't shoot YOUR room mate, even if you're married.......;)

carry at home?

As soon as I put on pants, my weapon is attached. I get up, hit the bathroom, and get dressed. Never head downstairs until I am dressed and strapped up.

oneounceload, Look, sir; I'm not trying to get into an argument here. I respect your opinion and appreciate you taking your time to respond. But, If you read my previous posts, I later asked my roommate about the uncharacteristic behavior, and an answer was given. I apologize if this didn't meet your approval, it was the best detective work I could muster.

And yes, I live where shootings/robberies are a regular occurrence. So I feel I must keep a state of cautious suspicion when something don't feel right. If I had the financial means to live where I didn't have to lock my doors, I would, but paying for college makes living in the suburbs unfeasible.

Again, I mean no offense, just saying there's a lot of factors that go into why someone would react a certain way.

--------------------------------------------------------

Haha no, that's no typo, my magazines make as good a place as any to keep the hollowpoints. Why? Because I'd rather have them ready and not need them, than need them ready and not have them.
G19 magazines - X3 - 15 rounds a piece
G21 magazines - X2 - 13 rounds a piece
--------------------------------------------------------
And everyone else too, thanks for all the different views about this! Thanks for sharing your experiences.
-Chris

I don't carry a firearm around my home, because like the OP, I am a college student living in an apartment adjacent to campus. I have a roommate that comes at all hours of the night, a great guy but he likes the downtown bar scene :rolleyes:, while I do not.

He also has friends over a fair amount of the time, and I prefer his friends to be unaware of my pistol. I don't really care what they think of guns, I just don't want a lot of people to know that I own guns.

I also live on the fourth floor with a crap load of stairs to go up, so my apartment doesnt seem to be a prime target for bad guys, knock on wood.

I live in the People's Republic of New Jersey, so I can't carry out and about, but when I'm in the house I wear a .357 IWB- either my S&W 649 or my Ruger 3" SP101, and a speedloader in my left pocket. My mother is disabled, and spends most of her time in the living room; my safe is up two flights of stairs. If anyone broke in, it would take way too long to get mom somewhere more secure, and it would take even longer to retrieve a gun from upstairs and run back down (nevermind that if the BG came in the front, they would then be between me and the living room). Since I'm responsible for someone who cannot defend herself, I got in the habit of being prepared. Now I carry in the house even when I'm alone.

Some people become so paranoid that I wonder how life can have any pleasure for them. Carrying a gun around in one's house is pretty far out, unless the ghetto surrounds you. Then I might see it. I carry a gun sometimes when I go outside early because of Javelina and coyotes. Javelina are really mean and unpredictable and coyotes are rabid in these parts. But inside the house I see no need. I think that keeping a gun handy in the house can be a good idea though. Perhaps I too am a little paranoid?

If I knew the BGs were comming I'd call the cops

Always, I'm wearing pajamas and have my 642 in the pocket. The big boys tell us that the first rule of gunfighting is to have a gun. As mentioned BGs don't make appointments. Had to go down stairs and feed the cats. Never know what waits in the dark. I have some of that Buffolo Bore 158 plus P 158 Gr. LSWCHP with a GS that's 1000FPS out of a short barrel. Best, Lyle

If you can't shoot faster than the other guy ; Shoot straighter. Chic Gaylord

I generally don't carry at home, although I do if we have underage visitors or visitors whom I don't know well. (I *don't* want somebody getting access to the gun and hurting themselves or me!) During the day, the gun sits on my desk in its holster within a foot of my right hand. In the evenings, I keep it near me on a coffee table or somesuch in the same room. When I'm asleep, I put it back in the office because I want to be sure that I have had to wake up before I pick it up. (I sleep soundly at times, need a few seconds and some movement to be fully alert.)

My husband always has his on his belt or within hands reach, even at night. He wakes up more quickly than I do and doesn't feel the need to put his gun out of reach. (If I woke up as quickly as he usually does, I'd do the same.)

If its legal to do so where I am at I am almost always armed unless theres some good reason not to be. In my home my guns almost always on my body.

Yup: http://www.corneredcat.com/Social/home.aspx

Teuthis, I'm glad the thread got to 2 1/2 pages before someone accused other people of being "paranoid." I think that's a new record for this topic. If you think about it, though, that's not exactly how a civil conversation would go. Can you think of a less-offensive way to make the same points?

pax

I put my pistol on with my jeans in the morning, and I take my pistol off with them at night.

It seems safer than all that "putting it on, taking it off, putting it on, taking it off, should I carry? should I not?" stuff. All that extra screwing around with guns is when NDs happen.

People who read something into carrying a firearm, whether at home or not, need to consider why they have fear issues surrounding inanimate objects. It's no more strange for me to have a pistol on at home than it is for me to have my driver's license in my pocket or my shoes on my feet; it's part of being dressed for the day, and yet I never hear
"I notice you have your driver's license in your pocket and boots on your feet at home. You must be afraid you're going to have to kick down the door and drive off at a moment's notice!"

All points well taken. With home invasions on the rise being paranoid is out of the question in my opinion. They happen is ALL neighborhoods. Better to be prepared than not.

I'm not wearing a gun because I'm paranoid or particularly worried about anything; I'm wearing a gun because I wear a gun. It's just a gun. Lighten up. It's not going to do anything except sit there.

I carried one when I lived out in the woods in a place where I never locked my front door for the whole six years I lived there and I had not a care in the world about crime. I carried it because I felt like it and that's all the reason I need. Folks can just deal with it.

Some people become so paranoid that I wonder how life can have any pleasure for them. Carrying a gun around in one's house is pretty far out, unless the ghetto surrounds you.

I am not surrounded by the ghetto. I live in a small relatively quiet town. That didn't help last year when the neighbor behind me had her house broken in to. It didn't help when a man walked in through my aunt's front door in broad day light.

Most certainly being in a small town didn't keep two guys from trying to break in to my neighbor's house during the last snow storm. They were later caught by the police because I got their tag number. It turns out they had broke in to three houses. They didn't think the cops would be able to catch up with them because the roads were "dangerous."

The reason they didn't get in to my neighbor's house is because I called the cops and confronted them with a rifle. (The distance is probably 30+ yards. A rifle seemed the best choice.) My neighbor is nearly 80 and home bound. So, when I saw them on her porch, I grabbed my rifle and went out to see who they were. When they saw the rifle they left her house and the neighborhood.

So carrying around the house is not paranoid. It especially isn't reserved for ghetto dwellers. Stuff happens everywhere. If that stuff happens to my baby or wife because I fail to protect them. . . . I couldn't live with that.

Quote: “Stuff happens everywhere. If that stuff happens to my baby or wife because I fail to protect them. . . . I couldn't live with that.”

Well, there you go. That’s pretty much it in a nutshell. As someone else has remarked, “It ain’t about the odds, it’s about the outcome.”.

I live in a rural and quiet neighborhood with a statistically low crime rate (small odds).

Despite that, over the past few years, I have had two close friends and one acquaintance murdered. All were surprised in their quiet neighborhood homes (well, one in her front yard) (Pretty much unacceptable outcome if you can prevent it).

I am a mental health professional and I know what paranoia is. Being prepared to meet a surprise such as the above ain’t it.

Be safe,

Will

Back