Do y'all carry in your house?

This is the main reason that I brought forth a measure to install Video Cameras at the entrance to our Dead End Neighborhood last year. The cameras get your face coming in, you and your other faces leaving along with your tag. No there are no signs that say Recorded on Video. You are on public property and subject to surviellance by any means, just like the police can tag you with Radar or Laser. At my home and some others there are 3-8 cameras taking video of our premises and the street in front of our homes. I do carry all day long in my home as I work from my home. My office is on the second floor and has a commanding view of the front yard area. All of our backyards are fenced, but are on video. All I have to do is look behind me in the office closet at the video recorder to see what is going on. Many of my neighbors do the same as I do, CARRY at HOME!

DonutGuy
<SNIP>Believe me when I say this, if I needed to carry in my own home then I would not live there.

1 in 5,000 TO 1 in 1,000 depending on which FBI stats you work from. Those are your odds of being the victim of a home invasion (robbery and/or violent crime at your residence). 70,000 robberies at one's residence in 2009 alone. This doesn't include violent acts committed at one's residence, hence the wider range.

I believe what you say, and I sincerely hope you will never experience any of those statistics firsthand. I for one will continue to carry at home.

carry 100% of the time at home

i carry at home all the time, i think its all about getting a comfortable holster sometimes i forget its on my hip. You just never know in a house who is coming through the doors. If you live in a house your just a rock throw away from someone breaking glass and getting in. You may not have the chance to go upstairs to get your piece. If you have problems carrying your piece on the hip then get a 357 magnum snub nose or some type of front pocket carry to have with you at all times.

Wait, somebody actually drew a comparison between a house fire and a home invasion? Oooh my.

Fires generally start small. Unless you're asleep, chances are pretty good that you'll either smell the smoke or hear one of your smoke alarms go off long before the fire becomes life-threatening. Fires are also much more likely to happen in kitchens and utility rooms as opposed to living spaces. Fires don't care about witnesses; they never act with malice or rage; they do not choose their targets intelligently. You will almost always have more than enough time to grab a fire extinguisher and call 911, and evacuate the house if the fire gets out of control. Accidental house fires are usually small, do little damage, and are easily dealt with.

Fires can be prevented by common-sense precautions, and are usually caused by negligence- a person who is generally attentive and responsible is in less danger from fire than a person who goes through life in a fog. If your house is kept to code (including smoke detectors and extinguishers), and you take care not to leave flammable things near the stove or wall sockets, and you don't do dumb things like falling asleep while smoking, then it is likely you'll never have an accidental fire at all, let alone a life-threatening one.

Criminals, on the other hand, like to come at you hard and fast. Surprising you is how they get what they want. They can sneak up to your house and be inside in seconds. If you have an alarm, it will only go off when the threat is already an immediate one. Criminals tend to go after the same places you spend most of your time, because that's where the valuable things (and potential victims) are. They might just decide that leaving witnesses alive isn't in their best interests. They act with malice, may be prone to acts of rage, and have a specific objective in mind when they enter your home- be it theft or rape or murder. You may not have enough time to do anything but draw and fire; running to grab a gun may not be possible.

Crimes can be deterred, but not prevented, by taking common-sense precautions. You might reduce your chances of being victimized by locking your doors, installing lights, having an active alarm... but you will never reduce them to near-zero, because there will always be someone out there who is determined to get through all of your precautions. The more determined a criminal is to get through your security measures, the more dangerous they're likely to be.

That's why carrying a gun at home makes sense, and carrying around a fire extinguisher doesn't. Unless we're talking arson, the threat level of a house fire is really pretty low despite how frequently they seem to happen. We have many tried-and-proven ways of preventing fires from happening... we still haven't found a way to keep predatory scumbags from targeting innocent people.

There is no question that violent home entries and murders happen somewhere from time to time. However I am persuaded that the liklihood of it happening to someone in an average nice neighborhood is less than getting struck by lightning. The chances are much less than getting injured by a drunk driver.

When I consider the number of violent entries, outside the drug neighborhoods or gangs, and consider the numbers of days and thousands of homes that have no problem, I am not willing to change my lifestyle to counter those miniscule odds. In other words, I am not concerned about such an entry.

I lock my doors and have installed metal security doors. I also consider that if my area of town or city made me think there was any liklihood it would happen I would move to another neighborhood or city.

To each his own.

Regards,
Jerry

Posted by silentargus: Fires generally start small.
True, but they usually spread very fast.

Unless you're asleep, chances are pretty good that you'll either smell the smoke or hear one of your smoke alarms go off long before the fire becomes life-threatening.
Not to get off on a tangent, but it is important that everyone realize that if a house fire occurs, it is essential that they get everyone out VERY QUICKLY.

The biggest problem is smoke inhalation, and the danger materializes very quickly indeed.

Back to the subject at hand. Most burglaries occur when the perpetrators think that no one is home. I have been the victim of three home invasions over a number of years. One occurred in a rented mountain cabin; the other two were in a very, very good neighborhood. Only in one did the perp enter knowing that the house was occupied--he had mayhem in mind.

Didn't have to shoot--the gun was deterrent enough.

There seems to be a wide-spread belief that one is "safer" in a "good" neighborhood. It is undoubtedly the case that it is safer outside, but consider this: would today's very mobile criminals with a habit to support expect more success in the taking of valuables in a prosperous neighborhood, or a poor one?

I carry in the house. I explained why in Post #128. I didn't for a long time--and then I thought about it just a little bit.

I carry when I leave the house, so I really don't see the point in taking the gun off when I come home and putting it back on when I leave. Same goes for my cell phone, wallet, and handkerchief.

JerryM
There is no question that violent home entries and murders happen somewhere from time to time. However I am persuaded that the liklihood of it happening to someone in an average nice neighborhood is less than getting struck by lightning. The chances are much less than getting injured by a drunk driver.

~ 70K robberies at home in 2009
~ 12K died in drunk driving accidents in 2009
= 209 struck by lightning in 2009

Last edited:
These threads aren't intended to help us stratify ourselves, to create divisions. The important thing to take away from these threads is a widened perspective.

Thank you JohnKSa for reminding all of us that we, as a minority group, can ill-afford to get abrasive toward each other over areas that are truly ruled by opinions rather than absolutes.

Most of us form our opinions largely on our own life experiences. It's kinda like ridiculing a skydiver because he has developed a fear of heights from experiencing a faulty parachute. Yeah, his experience might be rare - but his personal fear of heights is very real and very rational, based on his life experience!

Oh, by the way, I do carry at home. I feel that since it is a very convenient thing to do, I owe my family that little extra bit of protection.

I carry in my home.Due to the fact that i have a child in the home leaving a gun lying on a coffee or end table is illegal,becaues it is accessable to my kid.
And i'm all about safety an abiding by the law.

Plus i think i have an advantage.if someone did try to come in i know where the pistol is all the time because from the time i recieved my permit 3 plus yrs. ago i kept it on me till bed time.

I made a decision to make a lifestyle change and stuck to it.
That includes clothing,attitude and temperment.

I don't carry in the house but I do keep a .38 locked in my office desk in the attic and have a Benelli M3 in the bedroom. All the other guns are in a safe in the basement and my wife and I put our carry guns in our tables on each side of the bed when we come home. I also keep a Savage 350 in a lockbox in the barn.

I'm not a big fan of stashing guns all over the house. Might upset company if they stumble across one, plus I'd have to "redecorate" any time company might bring kids.

The only stashed guns are the 870 and the lady's nightstand GP100 in the bedroom. Easy enough to lock those up, depending on who comes over.

Carrying at home negates the need for stashing firearms. I know where at least one is, at all times. Plus, I can get the gun on my person much faster than the theoretical one stashed between sofa cushions (and the odds of canine paws accidentally engaging a trigger are much, much lower).

Yes, I carry in the house.

Too many pros, no cons (other than being surprised and killed or maimed).

There are 3 separate doors / main entry points on the main level.

One front door, one side door, and one back door. I'm not losing precious
seconds trying to get to the bedroom or some other room as I could be
cut off in the process. Better to take cover and self defend with .357

I carry the model 19 in the soft case and it is beside me whether in the den, kitchen, lr, bath, etc. It's no different than carrying around a magazine or the newspaper.

My preference would be to use the model 19 in an attempt to protect life
and get to the BR and hole up with the mossberg dialing 911.

If situation/time permits.

Yes

Actually I am right now, Kimber, I would from time to time in the past but we had a break-in down the road earlier this week. So it is an all the timme kinda thing. The Larceny was, probably, some people who had prior knowledge of the house and items with-in but I am taking no chances!

Most of the time I use my house as a testing ground of sorts. I like to try out different carrying methods and I figure this is the safest place to do it. Additionally, since I am a relatively new cwp holder I figure the extra time with a gun on my hip won't hurt me in the process of getting into the routine.

I've got to agree with the #20 post in this thread. I too have failed in getting a BG to schedule an appointment so I choose to carry all the time, at home or away. I have three boys, ages 9, 7 and 5, and they all see that Daddy carries all the time and they think nothing of it. I think they notice it less and less than I do.
I don't say that meaning it's easy to forget, I have carried long enough that I've become accustomed to it. I get up in the morning, shower and get dressed. When I get dressed my pistol goes on my belt before my shoes even get put on. I take my security seriously (not implying that others don't) and I want to be prepared at all times for whatever happens!

I just thought of this. Besides the boom boom, I also usually have a small flashlight on me. A little Surefire or LED. Lights go out from the weather or whatever, I use it a lot.

Very true Glenn. I carry my Surefire Z2 with me, either my S&W M&P 45 or my Glock 23 and a spare magazine for whatever pistol I have on. Aside from whatever I have in my pockets (ie. latex gloves, pocket knife, notepad & pen, cpr mask etc.) that's what my EDC, in home or out, consists of!

House Carry

Putting on my gun and knife is as natural as putting on my pants. Just because I am in my house does not mean it is 100% safe. I recommend to never be without your firearm and knife.

You still might get killed, but it would be nice to take whoever does it to you along for the trip.

Back