Defensive Cane vs. Knife, when you are restricted

Blue Duck

I am a gun guy, and I have had a CCW for many years, but I will have to fly to a distant large city for a convention. I don't want to have to go through the gun checking process to send one in my baggage.

I do want some kind of edge over bare hands, and so I am considering bringing a combat cane, because I understand that I can carry it on the plane with little problem and at 57 yrs old, and a little overweight, I would not look out of place with the cane.

I know I can also carry about any kind of knife below 5 inches in blade length, and I think I can just add that to checked baggage, and if it's stolen it would not be that big a lose.

In an altercation I know just enough about the cane to hopefully defend myself against a knife or other weapon below a gun, anyway I was just wondering if this subject had been addressed here before, and what would be your thoughts.

Obviously,the thing to do is fit the cane with a bayonet lug.......

Just kidding.

Nobody will arrest you for a cane.Knives?Depends on local laws.

Are you skilled?

Canes don't beat people,people beat people.

But,I do have a bad knee,and I may take up carrying a stick,myself.

Like this?

http://bigstickcombat.com/posts/real-life-combat-cane-vs-philippine-ambush/

I studied Arnis and attended more than one seminar by Remy Presas. It's your best deal for having an undercover weapon so to speak. It's also a far better option against a knife than your bare hands or harsh language....

I think if you do a search you can find one that's all wood, but this one below is just an option I've seen.

http://traditionalfilipinoweapons.com/SwordCane.html

Here's the wood version:

http://www.blackbeltshop.com/combat_cane.htm

http://www.vintageglassbottleantique.com/martial-arts-cane.html

http://www.canemasters.com/

Laura

Last edited:
I carry a Cold Steel polymer walking stick when I go across the river(Mississippi). Being 62 with a small/medium build and a slight limp pretty much covers my "need" for the stick.

Three things to consider:
  1. a cane is already in hand, reducing reaction time;
  2. a cane can strike at greater distance, keeping an assailant farther away; and
  3. the cane has an obvious deterrent effect that a concealed knife does not have.

As luck would have it, I have family in three of the most restricted cities in the country: NYC, DC and Chicago. While I enjoy visiting all three places, I have recently gotten a hickory cane and spent some time learning some defensive applications with it. I'll be taking it to NYC for Thanksgiving.

As I see it, something is much better than nothing.

As one fat older guy to another, a fat, old guy with a cane is an easy target to most ne'er do wells. A fat old guy with a stick who carries himself like he owns the place is not.
"...a tactical combat cane..." Only 'tactical' if it's black with Velcro. $189.99 for a stick? I'm doing something wrong.
A sword cane very likely can and would get you arrested in places that don't allow concealed weapons.

I recommend a crook top over a walking stick, you can use it for sweeps. Another thing with the defensive use of a cane is to strike low, below the waist. Knock your opponent off his feet, get him on the ground. Practice blocks, and practice with both hands.

I've gone to nongun cities for business. Your best weapons will be avoidance and appropriate attitude so that you do not portray yourself as a victim.

You might check if your target city allows OC sprays. That's better than a close in fight.

Interesting issue - does a cane signal victimhood? While you might then switch into cane-fu - wouldn't it be better not to get into a close in fight?

I think some jurisdictions consider a cane to be a baton and are illegal as such. If you look like you need a cane, you probably will not be confronted by the minions of the law. However if you actually end up using it you might be prudent to have your doctors opinion that an cane would help your mobility in your medical records.

A cane is a fine weapon if you can use it, I prefer the straight stick with a ball for a hand hold, you can slash and stab with it, trap and lock joints out with it and in close reverse it and short punch with the ball, Get one learn how to use it and keep it with you, EDC just like your gun.

Last edited:
I got a 1 1/8" oak hook cane . unfinished for like 12 bucks . No need to spend big money for a cane I can trim end of hook and finish why I like

I think those combat canes are a waste of money

Unless you are well trained with a blade I would opt for the cane. It allows you to keep distance where a knife you would need to get in close at what I like to call bad breath distance.

Bought one of those Irish canes (Too heavy!) my City Stick is light, and quick.

The most devastating strike, a Bayonet strike to the sternum!

Slashes, drop your hand down from the top, 14"?Hands and arms ..OUCH!

I have owned one of those Canemaster canes for years. Mostly used it to work cattle with. Its poked and whacked a many of a cow. I ended up giving it to my dad for his woods walks over the farm hillsides.

I have recently ordered another one from Canemaster's. It's a one of the Cane Ja street models but with a bird's head grip instead of the chisel point, and I went with the heavier 1-1/8 inch diameter. It's Hickory, which I think it a little less prone to breakage then Oak, although I have another cattle working stick that is oak and it's held up good.

Blue Duck said:
It's Hickory, which I think it a little less prone to breakage then Oak, although I have another cattle working stick that is oak and it's held up good.

Oak makes a very heavy stick, but in my experience it is also a slow one. I really like hickory for sticks and canes, it seems to be just as strong but much faster in hand.

Back