DA/SA Recommendation for EDC

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned a Bersa handgun,,,
Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact Pro series.

I have one and it's a very nice handgun,,,
I've heard people call it a poor man's RAMI.

I have two friends who own RAMIs and to tell the truth,,,
I think the Bersa is a much nicer handgun.

Mine is the 13 round 9mm version,,,
One can also buy 10 round mags if needed.

The gun is not skinny so to speak,,,
But it is very ergonomic and nestles very well into my palm.

For you lefties out there,,,
The controls are fully ambidextrous.

I'm not saying it's the finest 9mm out there,,,
But you would be doing yourself a favor to at least handle one.

Aarond

I was going to also say look at a Bersa. I have the Thunder UC, 9mm as well (10 round version, since I'm in CT).

They recently discontinued the Thunder Pro Ultra Compact series and came out with an updated version. The new compact series is the TPRC and has a better trigger (I thought the Thunder Pro UC9 had a nice trigger as it was,so this would be even better). They also changed the grip geometry a bit (got rid of the finger grooves). The also updated the slide.

Here is the older Thunder Pro Ultra Compact series:
https://bersa.eagleimportsinc.com/bersa/firearms/thunder-ultra-compact-pro-series

Here is the new TPRC series:
https://bersa.eagleimportsinc.com/bersa/firearms/tprc-series

I think they are worth a look. I did the same thing when shopping for a DA/SA 9mm for carry and the Bersa won out over the RAMI for me. I had the money for either and the shop had both.. I walked out with the Bersa. Much easier to rack the slide, break down is the easiest of any pistol I've owned and it has been reliable.

I was going to also say look at a Bersa. I have the Thunder UC, 9mm as well (10 round version, since I'm in CT).

They recently discontinued the Thunder Pro Ultra Compact series and came out with an updated version. The new compact series is the TPRC and has a better trigger (I thought the Thunder Pro UC9 had a nice trigger as it was,so this would be even better). They also changed the grip geometry a bit (got rid of the finger grooves). The also updated the slide.

Here is the older Thunder Pro Ultra Compact series:
https://bersa.eagleimportsinc.com/bersa/firearms/thunder-ultra-compact-pro-series

Here is the new TPRC series:

I think they are worth a look. I did the same thing when shopping for a DA/SA 9mm for carry and the Bersa won out over the RAMI for me. I had the money for either and the shop had both.. I walked out with the Bersa. Much easier to rack the slide, break down is the easiest of any pistol I've owned and it has been reliable.
1.45 inch is still pretty dang thick......

For their new gun

Depends. If you're looking for something new, I can't help you. I'm sure there's (not really) a lot of nice new stuff out there, but I DNK what it is.

If you want to go old school, 2 of my favorite carries are CZ70, and a S&W6906. But
they're solid metal, and they might not cost you enough money.

Anyone who says the Browning Fabrique Hi Power is too big is going to hate the S&W 59 series, trust me! In comparison, carrying a 5904 or 6904 was like carrying a brick around. The Compat PX4 Beretta with stealth decocking levers brings that gun down in size to manageable. A neat little oddball gun made to true military standards from true USA, NATO and any other high military standard of materials, and build quality, is the old Daewoo DP51/K5 ROK Army service pistol. For the Koreans (South Koreans) it is considered an officer's full sized sidearm, but by our standards, it really is a bit smallish. The grip, which is the hardest part to conceal is a tad shorter than a normal military pistol's grip. S&W 59 series magazines will fit with very minor modifications. A company called Lionheart is selling these again now. Do be aware that the safety is easier to accidentally bump off than on, so carrying one cocked is a bad idea, but it is a DA/SA. I am not of the opinion that in my normal everyday daily routine I am ever going to need more than 5 or 6 rounds, so revolvers are fine too, for EDC. If I am going to, ohhh, let's say drive down a farm road close to the Mexican border, I might load out with the Sig Sauer P226R, P229R or P228R and a minimum of 2 extra magazines, and at night, I would probably want at least pistol caliber carbine, possibly an AR and definitely a good pump shotgun, along with an extra person to watch my back. For everyday use, a Glock 43, Walther PPS, Sig P365, H&K P7, Colt Detective Special, S&W J or K frame, are all just fine. Any slim single stack compact or sub compact, or small revolver is sufficient. You have about a 1 in 300 chance of ever needing the gun, and a 1 in 10,000 chance of ever having an out and out firefight. I definitely wouldn't trust a Kimber with my life. I am waiting another year on the Sig P365. BEST ADVICE: NEVER EVER BUY ANY BRAND NEW DESIGN OF ANYONE'S GUN! I don't give a ____ if The Ghost of John Moses Browning made the gun himself, in a machine shop designed by God. Wait at least a year or two, for the manufacturer to sort out any problems. (Unless you actually enjoy mailing guns back and forth to factories, for "voluntary upgrades") The defective gun can't protect me from Glock's factory in Georgia, or Sig's factory in New Hampshire.

From what everyone's posted, and the things I've shot, I think the options are basically in two categories:

1. The Springfield XDE, which is the only slim singlestack DA/SA I'm aware of in current production. But the grip and muzzle lengths are both longer than most striker-fired single stacks (G43, XDS, Shield, etc.)

2. Subcompact DA/SA doublestacks that would include the Beretta PX4 SC, H&K P30sk, CZ RAMI and the Bersa above. If DA/SA isn't a strict requirement, but extra safety when holstering is, I supposed the Springfield XD Mod.2 SC could work -- I had one for a while, it's quite compact and definitely thinner (at least less rounded) than the other options here.

#1 will conceal well because of its thinness, as all the #2 options are pretty thick and kind of pudgy around the slide and grip. However the #2 options have shorter grip lengths.

I often carry a Walther PPS M2 with the 8 round extended mag. Dimensionally that's almost identical to the XDE. I carry AIWB in a holster with a "claw" attachment that pulls the long grip into my body, and I can conceal that rig under a light t-shirt all day long. I could not do that as easily with a double-stack gun. Note: neither would print and look like a gun under my shirt but the double stack is just thick enough that it makes a lump whereas the single-stack does not.

My final recommendation -- worth every dollar you paid for it!!! -- is try to find an XDE to shoot. It's really an underrated option, IMO.

Why not carry a DAO J frame then?
That's a totally legit option right there...

I don't have much experience with revolvers but they're pretty small and the grips conceal very well -- stout trigger is a hedge against user error. I was able to land some decent hits out to 10 yards with one that had a LaserGrip on it.

- A specifically DA/SA trigger action because you prefer THAT action (rules out every slim 9mm except XDE)
- Ability to holster the gun while immobilizing the trigger for safety (rules in Glock Gadget, XDS grip safety)
- Greatest possible discretion when carrying (may necessitate .380 or something especially small like Kahr CM9)
- Other priorities?

So here's my priority list exactly:

1. I live in NY, which is a concealed carry state. Bad news if your pistol prints and the wrong person sees it. So yes, discretion is huge.

2. Being able to immobilize the trigger while holstering is my second priority. I do a lot of timed drills involving drawing from the holster while practicing. I get nervous blindly holstering my firearm without some way of blocking the trigger. I know a safety would potentially solve this, but I'm not a big fan of safeties since I never practice with them. I guess I could change this if I had to.

3. Having a decocking DA/SA trigger is my preference. As mentioned previously, I don't really like safeties so the longer first trigger pull serves as somewhat of a "do I really want to pull the trigger right now" safety.

4. And I also really prefer a frame-mounted decocker, ala CZ, instead of the slide mounted type on the older Gen 3 Smiths. I have short, stubby thumbs... what else can I say.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Looks like I'm going to have to compromise somewhere... which I guess is what life is all about haha.

I'm sure you're speaking loosely, but there's no reason to "blindly" put a gun back into its holster :)

Based on your priorities above I really suspect your best two options are P30sk (compact, excellent reliability, but thick) and XDE (thin, decent capacity for single stack).

That's the best I've got :)

Cz75 pcr or
Cz70
31ed73122f9e5fcb16d2a942f3066d9d.jpg
5f173995840d2b9043fc7eef4b88a989.jpg

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

So here's my priority list exactly:

1. I live in NY, which is a concealed carry state. Bad news if your pistol prints and the wrong person sees it. So yes, discretion is huge.

2. Being able to immobilize the trigger while holstering is my second priority. I do a lot of timed drills involving drawing from the holster while practicing. I get nervous blindly holstering my firearm without some way of blocking the trigger. I know a safety would potentially solve this, but I'm not a big fan of safeties since I never practice with them. I guess I could change this if I had to.

3. Having a decocking DA/SA trigger is my preference. As mentioned previously, I don't really like safeties so the longer first trigger pull serves as somewhat of a "do I really want to pull the trigger right now" safety.

4. And I also really prefer a frame-mounted decocker, ala CZ, instead of the slide mounted type on the older Gen 3 Smiths. I have short, stubby thumbs... what else can I say.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Looks like I'm going to have to compromise somewhere... which I guess is what life is all about haha.

Check out the xde.

Well... I stopped in a pawn shop a few cities over while on the road for some meetings today and they had a P30SK in great shape. Haggled price a bit... and bought it. It's a little thicker than I wanted, but I liked the trigger (at least in dry fire).

Will get to range at some point here and let you all know if this is THE solution, or another on the long list of "Guns I Used to Own."

I did mention it....... I tried to get the UC40 to be a comfortable carry

IMHO..... (for me)...... 1.45 inch thick is too thick for comfortable IWB, CCW

I also found the recoil out of the UC40 to be higher than I thought it would

I shoot M&P40C and Shield in 40, P229, P226 (40's) as well as a K40....... The UC40 seemd to have much higher felt recoil.... My wife wouldnt shoot it
The width you quoted for the Bersa TPR9c includes the ambidextrous frame mounted decocker and slide stop levers. This gives a distorted picture of this 23 ounce handgun.

I carried 3913s and 3914s for many years on the job and off duty. Excellent pistols that would meet your needs and serve you well.

Then after retiring from Investigations, I aquired a S&W Chiefs Special 9mm - CS9. All the good things I love about the 39XX series guns in a slightly smaller package.

I bought some cut down 3913 Delrin grips for it over on the Smith forum and now it is my constant companion.

Light weight, thin, small, accurate and bet your life reliable. Looks good doing all that too. Regards 18DAI

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned a Bersa handgun,,,
Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact Pro series.

T9DTP13-300x299.jpg

I have one and it's a very nice handgun,,,
I've heard people call it a poor man's RAMI.

I have two friends who own RAMIs and to tell the truth,,,
I think the Bersa is a much nicer handgun.

Mine is the 13 round 9mm version,,,
One can also buy 10 round mags if needed.

The gun is not skinny so to speak,,,
But it is very ergonomic and nestles very well into my palm.

For you lefties out there,,,
The controls are fully ambidextrous.

I'm not saying it's the finest 9mm out there,,,
But you would be doing yourself a favor to at least handle one.

Aarond

Now in a slimmer version with a better DA and SA trigger action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNs9e37e6fo

Back