Curious as to what distance everyone shoots from at the range?

2-3 mags at 3 yds, some rapid, point and shoot. Remainder at 7 yds. Try different foot placement and work on muscle memory on aiming, finger placement, and pull. Not a long time pistolero so my stance, grip and sight picture are a work in progress. Bought a 5" 1911 abt a year ago. The additional 1.5" of barrel has really boosted my confidence and tightened my groupings.

This past month I've been shooting at 50 yards, iron sights, and started the month off of a rest, but finished 2 hand standing. While far from perfect, I achieved consistency at 50. The pleasant surprise was how much I had improved at 25 yards because of shooting at 50. Don't be afraid to challenge yourself at farther distances.

Anywhere from 3 to 25 yards with pistols. I go to a long gun after 25 yards at the range.

Slow fire I expect under 2" out to 10 yards, under 4" at 15 and it varies wildly at 20-25 depending on gun and most often sights.

Most of my under 10 yard shooting is timed drills I make up as I go and involve point shooting often as not.

Pistol?: 3/5/7/10/15/25/50/150 yards. At 150 yards it is more like artillery, especially with 45ACP and a short barrel. Most of the time it will be 25 and under.

I carry daily and practice for serious purposes here on our farm. The regimen includes precision shots at 10 yards and beyond out to 25 yards, and speed work from 10 yards on in to 3 yards, and all beginning with the gun holstered.

I use Front Sight's (a training school in Nevada) silhouette for all training with its half circle chest scoring zone (10" dia.) and a playing card sized scoring zone for cranial/ocular shots.

As my range is right out the back door in a side paddock, I shoot nearly every day...10-40 rounds depending on the chores workload. To afford that level of shooting, I cast my own bullets and load for the guns on a pair of Dillon 550B's. Local LEO's also use my range to tune up prior to their qualifications...as a result I have a large store of once fired brass in 9mm, .38 Spl/.357 Mag, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. My ammunition costs per round are consequently the price of a primer and the powder...less than a nickle for .45 ACP. It's a shooter's dream for sure.

For fun shooting, I have a series of railroad tie plates, ground mounted at varying ranges out to 150 yards...these provide interesting sighting problems for those who've trained only at short range. For family/friend shoots, we warm up on defensive drills, then complete the day by shooting the plates starting at 20 yards, one shot each, shooting at 5 yard intervals...a miss and you're out. The plates are roughly 8x14" on average, and shooting offhand, most guys are out by 45-50 yards. It makes for a fun afternoon.

HTH's Rod

I've been shooting the same handgun since 1993. Often. A 1911-A1. .45 auto. Normally, it's 7 yards, then, 10-12 yards. Stationary targets like most of us practice with. Let us all hope we'll never need it in a real situation. But, practice is good. And fun.
Post's #28,48 and 72 are good ones; as most here are.

For me it depends on which pistol I'm shooting. 2" to 3" barreled defense revolvers and pistols, 7 feet to 50 feet. 4" to 6" barreled military or duty type pistols, 25 yards. Magnum revolvers and pistols for hunting, 25 and 50 yards, with occasional excursions out to 100.

5-25 yards 364 days a year.
1 day of the year there's are targets out to a mile (Yea, a 9mm will go that far with appropriate elevation.)

I mainly spend my time at a indoor range training for Self Defense...(SD)
I can almost see 10 yards (30 feet) but for SD I concentrate more on 10 to 20 feet although SD is probably expected to be close up rather than far away.
I figure that if I am pretty good at 10 to 20 feet anything closer is a no brainer.

A question for all...Once separation between a aggressor and yourself reaches "How Many Feet" and further away could the Police question whether actual Self Defense, Stand your Ground and fear of your life was still valid.
I don't imagine many SD incidents occur 30 feet or more away from each other.
Plus longer distance accuracy along with movement could hit bystanders.

Now I know that not everyone spends their time shooting for SD
I see that some have responded saying that they routinely shoot their handgun 25 yards, to 50 and 90 yards one even out to 150 yards (a football field and a half) with a handgun.
I have just not thought of shooting a handgun at those distances and more of a waste of my time and money in ammo.
I bought my handguns not so much to be a perfect long distance marksman but for EDC / Home Self Defense.
So my question to long range handgun shooters is...Why? Just to see if you can?

For fun I could see shooting a few long distance shots but it would not be the bulk of my range experience.
Unless I'm in training for some long distance match or something.
Just curious, I did not expect to see such distances with handguns..

Last edited:
A question for all...Once separation between a aggressor and yourself reaches "How Many Feet" and further away could the Police question whether actual Self Defense, Stand your Ground and fear of your life was still valid.
I don't imagine many SD incidents occur 30 feet or more away from each other.
Plus longer distance accuracy along with movement could hit bystanders.

Depends on the situation and state/local laws too much. Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground laws don't always mean you can shoot someone running away. But I've read articles and heard stories of long distance shooting that were legal. I think a recent one was in Florida, homeowner defended himself with an AR from three in a car shooting into his house. So highly situational.

So my question to long range handgun shooters is...Why? Just to see if you can?

50 yards is 150 feet. That is the length of my property line. Longer distance requires better shooting.

I normally shoot handguns at 10, 25, 50 yards, and now and then my magnum wheel guns at 100 yards. The range I shoot at is set up for those distances and up to 600 yards for rifles.

Aim Small Miss Small

A lot of guys get a full size man target, set it at 10 paces and if they can keep them all on target are happy. Others, take a fifty yard small bore rifle target and aim to hit it every time at 25 yards. I think a good rule of thumb is a soda can at various ranges from 10 feet to 30 or 40 yards. You'll see your limit when you start missing all your shots. A good handgun shot with accurate gun can hit a standard 25 yard target every time in the black and often in the ten ring. As has been stated, the kind of gun also affects how far I shoot. rc

15 to 40 yards with handguns. But if I’m not with beginners, I’m shooting probably 25 yards. I’ve got a .22 I can hit a water bottle with at 25 yards. My baby eagle is good for well over 40 yards. Once I get my hunting pistol worked out and electric muffs, it’s hopeffull good for 100-150 yards.

Last edited:
Back