Curious as to what distance everyone shoots from at the range?

15 to 25 yards with my Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt. Last time I tried 50 yards, but need a lot more practice from there. With my conceal carry, I shoot from 10 to 15 yards.

Also depends on what type of handgun i'm shooting, I have a few long range handguns that can easily reach 100+ yds. I shoot both my 460 XVR and my TC Encore 243 out to 200 meters when fitted with optics ;)

Most of my range time is with my carry guns which are small pocket carry guns. So I'm usually shooting point blank to about 10 yards, usually point shooting, and usually silhouettes.

Since this is in a handgun forum, I will stay within that parameter. I hunt deer with my revolvers, so I practice regularly with then at distances relative to their effective distance. 50 yards for .357, 75 yards for .44 and 100 yards for the .460. For ships and giggles and when introducing newbies, I shoot @ 25 to 40. For my SD/HD handguns, from point blank to 25 yards.

I have my own personal range with steel gongs set up at those various distances. The closer gongs are set up in a mowed area where shooter distance can be easily changes by moving closer to the target.

All my shooting is practical competition, which results in the vast majority being ten feet to ten yards, but no lack of 15-20 yards and the very occasional shot longer than that.
Zeroed for that type of shooting, everything is point blank.

Using the handguns I normally carry as retirement weapons, it's typically 3-15yds, as that's usually what's involved in more recent qual & training drill scenarios.

I also try to add some 30-50yd shooting, even with my DAO .38 snubs, to make sure my "basics" are still acceptable, and especially that my DA trigger control is still smooth and consistent.

For pistol, 7 yards is normally where I set the target. This is about the longest distance inside the house that I would be engaging someone. Occasionally, I will go out to 12 yards with my 1911 since it may get called upon to be used outside.

5-7 yards with my carry guns. Longer for rifles and hunting pistols. The furtherest I can shoot at the out door "range" is about 80 yards.

Life is good
Prof Young

Handguns, typically 7, 10, 15, 25, 50 and 100 yds depending on the one I'm shooting.
I'd say mostly in the 10-25 yd range.

Mostly 21 feet, since that's supposedly the "magic" number for an attacker. I also figure it's highly unlikely to have a self-defense shooting at a greater distance. Probably need to increase that distance - it's getting too easy.

For the LCP, I reduce that down to 10 feet.

Reminds me of a joke I once heard about snubbies - if it's to far to hit them over the head with it, you're too far away to shoot them.

Aside from the usual shooting from 5-15yds with two hands, I always in get some practice rapid shooting one handed with my carry gun, with both my strong and weak hand.

If you watch gunfight videos on Youtube, you'll be amazed at how often people are forced to shoot with one hand while they're diving behind something, moving or grabbing someone, etc.

I got my first handgun in January, the first class I had started us at 3yds and then 5. I practiced at 5 until I was consistently in the center, then moved it out to 7, then 10. Still working on 7 and 10yds, though I've tried it out to the stops and it wasn't pretty LOL.

There is no "magic number " ! That was a number for training. Only an approximate distance .The closer the perp the more danger to you !!

You will give yourself advantage if you practice at twice the range , then the short range become easy !
In any case don't lock yourself into one distance vary things foe the real world !

You will give yourself advantage if you practice at twice the range , then the short range become easy !
It may seem counterintuitive, but that's probably not really true, unless one prepares to shoot only at inanimate, stationary targets.

In defensive shooting, where is more to the ratio of the angle subtended to distance in predicting and achieving effective hitting.

The balance of speed and precision involves, by definition, both speed and precision.

One who practices hitting an area the size of the upper chest at 25 yards will find certain aspects of that practice useless and even counterproductive when the target is twelve feet way and coming fast.

Mostly 21 feet, since that's supposedly the "magic" number for an attacker.
That's the 'magic number' when it comes to lawful justification of drawing a firearm.

Because of that, the distance at which shots will be fired will be a whole lot farther, if an attack really does take place.

I practice at 15 feet then 25 feet. Then at the back of my indoor range at 50 feet. All shots are grouped at different places & the last 4 shots at each distance are head shots & crouch shots. I realize that the first 4 should be head & crouch shots and not the last 4. One should never forget that the BG ,in high probability, will wear some sort of armoured chest protector, which I strongly feel that it should be banned except for LEOs & Military use. Just because my car can go 140 mph doesn't mean that I can or should go that fast. This is just my opinion.

Back