Curious as to what distance everyone shoots from at the range?

Because much of my shooting at a typical range is Bullseye competition, for me it's 25 yards for the timed and rapid fire stages and 50 yards for the slow fire stage-all shot unsupported with one-hand, of course. And, for me, all shooting is done with iron sights.
When practicing self-defense, "tactical" regimens with my carry handguns, distances range from 7 feet to 25 yards to the target.

3, 7, 15, 25, 50, 75, & 100 yds depending on what I am shooting.

I did shoot handgun silhouette once upon a time and distances were further.

The most is 25 yds with most of handguns that I have now.

I usually shoot all my pistols around 7-15 yds or 20 yds for a challenge same with my rifles about 15-200 yds with the ar and 25-500 yds on the hunting rifle but if you're starting out it's best to start at 5 yds and move out when you can keyhole 80% of the time.

range range

one yard to 25 yards depending.

Shooting PPC anywhere from 7 yds to 25 yds.

Firing the state police qual course it's point blank to 2t5 yds. Draw and fire double tap at 3 yds.

Typically when I go to the range for the purpose of defensive pistol practice I shoot from 5 to 15 yards. After running through my drills for the day I'll usually take a couple dozen shots at 25 yards, including some single hand, left and right. I'm not very good at that distance one handed, particularly with my left hand so anything in the torso at 25 yards is a good hit.

From 5 to 12 yards I should be able to keep all shots inside a softball (about a 4- to 5-inch circle), unless I'm pushing for my best speed. If that's the case, I try to keep them all inside a regular sheet of notebook paper, 8.5" X 11".

As you're just getting started, I think you're doing fine. I suggest that every other range session or so, try pushing the distance a few yards. Right now it seems that you're shooting from about 3 yards to 7 yards.

So next time maybe try 5 yards and 10 yards. At first your groups will likely open up, but that's okay. What that's showing you is what you need to work on with your ability to keep the gun from moving, proper sight alignment, sight picture and trigger control. With proper and correct practice you should be able to eventually become more accurate and faster as you become more competent mastering those skills.

I also highly recommend proper dry-fire practice. You may want to invest in something like an iTarget system. These types of systems are great for working on trigger control, sight alignment, sight picture and gun stability simultaneously. I've seen several friends show significant improvement in relatively short periods through using iTargets or similar systems.

Above all, try to have fun. A positive attitude greatly helps a person to improve their skills in any endeavor.

I shoot at steel and the company recommends min of 10 yards so my big CC guns are shot from 10-15 yards, LCP 7 -10 yards and my Blackhawk it’s 25 + yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I generally practice with my carry at 20 to 30 feet.
The rest is between 20 to 30 yards and my hunting revolvers are between 25 to 100 yards.

Now probably 70% is from 25 yards, 15% or so at 50 yards and most of the balance is out to 200 yards. But when I was still competing in pistol I shot a lot at 50 feet.

Prone smallbore - 100 yards
Indoor pistol 50 feet
Outdoor pistol 25 yards and 50 yards.
Pistols as per the rule book, one hand unsupported.
Hunting pistols 25, 50, 75, 100 yards. The longer distances are done with some sort of support.

I primarily shoot my carry gun ( 5" 1911 in 9mm )...for Defense....so I shoot "Tactically"...from 5 - 8 yds against a timer. I use the ICE qual target...A zone is about 8 1/2 X 11"....

I shoot "Tactically"...drawing from a holster against a timer. Example ...Draw & Fire 2 rds under 2.3 sec.../ Draw & fire 5 rds in under 3.7 sec.../ with 2 mags of 8 rds each...draw fire 8 - speed reload fire 8..in under 10.9 sec...

I get bored shooting bullseye...but if I want to...its at 10 - 25 yds.

I usually do 2 yards out to 30 yards. Most of the speed and timer based shooting is 5 to 15 yards. Precision shooting out to 25 and 30 with a combat gun (10-15%). 1/3 with the non dominant hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I normally shoot my subcompact carry guns at ranges between 3-10 yards.

Full sized range and home defense handguns typically are shot between 7-25 yards.

And my .22's are shot between 7-50 yards (eventually I'm taking my Buckmark rabbit and squirrel hunting).

Handguns 25yds , sometimes 50yds. Rifles 100yds, sometimes 50yds. largely because I have targets setup at 25,50 and 100yds at my range.

When I'm indoors it's 7 yards to start, 12-15 yards for normal shooting, but mostly it's 50 yards for long range.

I'm not bad at long range with the right gun and ammo. Glock 35 I'm alright, but the Glock 27 it becomes a hell of a challenge. Can be done though...

The 25 yard line reveals technique flaws that go unnoticed at 25 feet. It forces one to think more about sight alignment and trigger control.

This is why I start every range session at the 25 yard line, to force myself to focus on fundamentals and then work back from there.

Most of my indoor range time is spent at 20 and/or 25 yards. My philosophy is that, if your not challenging yourself, your not going to get any better. Stacking bullets on top of each other at close range is a waste of time and money.

Back