Curious as to what distance everyone shoots from at the range?

One should never forget that the BG ,in high probability, will wear some sort of armoured chest protector, which I strongly feel that it should be banned except for LEOs & Military use

So I shouldn't have one because the BG might get one? I guess you could make the same argument about having access to a gun. "Bullet Proof" vests are generally used and were conceived as being defensive implements. I am retired LEO but would hate to see the day that only cops or soldiers could lawfully avail themselves of an armored chest protector, leaving only the law-abiding citizen without an option to protect himself of same, should he ever want one.

Like guns (and knives in London), banning the ownership of same to law-abiding citizens will only mean that law-breakers will have them-and that axiom, sadly, applies to chest protectors.

Doc, where are you that your local BGs are so well equipped?

I generally practice at 7-8yds for pistol. I'll move it back to 15 or 25 for a couple mags though. Longer distance is good for showing your mistakes.

As for recommendations for practical shooting: Practice so you can get "fist" sized groups at 7-10yds, then work on speed.

One who practices hitting an area the size of the upper chest at 25 yards will find certain aspects of that practice unless and even counterproductive when the target is twelve feet way and coming
That needs more explanation. When you have a moment.
Pete

I think what he means is that the ability to shoot small groups at distance does not equate to the ability to make combat effective hits at speed up close.

Two TOTALLY different skill sets.

Usually at 7 yards because of my 66 year old eyes but I went to a new indoor range with my son a few weeks ago that had much better lighting and I also had fun and excellent results shooting at 15 and 25 yards though at 25 yards my shots were about 4 inches low which I believe was because I tried wearing my bifocals and had to tilt my head to get best vision at 25 yard while at 15 yards I had no such issue without wearing my bifocals.

I also could not believe the difference in noise levels at the new range versus my old range. The new range must have had some pretty advanced sound deadening technology as the difference to me was astonishing.

the indoor range i go to has programs you can run, or it can be a stationary target.. i do 1 mag at 5 yards with each gun i bring, as a warm up.. after that, i will run a couple programs which the target distance can range from point blank to 25 yards.. when i am shooting at my dad's place, we have about 75 yards for a range.. we usually shoot pistols at about 10 yards, and our AR's at 50 to 75 yards..

"One should never forget that the BG ,in high probability, will wear some sort of armoured chest protector"

Never heard of one do that.

Sharkbite

I think what he means is that the ability to shoot small groups at distance does not equate to the ability to make combat effective hits at speed up close.

Two TOTALLY different skill sets
I have heard that before. I don’t agree. Both require a qun. Both require aiming either by using the sights or point shooting. Sure, the situations are different but i just do not see that the gun handling is radically different. I am prepared to learn if I oversimplify.

My backstop is 32 yards from my porch so that is what most of my shooting is from.I do go 10 to 15 yards with my S&W m36 snubies.My lungs are shot so it real hard to walk very far.My wife is nice and puts my targets out fore me.But I'm still shootn.

Two TOTALLY different skill sets
Right. Autocorrect conspired to annoy me.

I have heard that before. I don’t agree. Both require a qun. Both require aiming either by using the sights or point shooting. Sure, the situations are different but i just do not see that the gun handling is radically different.
What is entirely different is the balance of speed and precision, and the ways in which the shooter will achieve the necessary balance without taking time to think about it.

What is entirely different is the balance of speed and precision, and the ways in which the shooter will achieve the necessary balance without taking time to think about it.
More instinctive than thoughtful? Is that the idea?

Shooting distance

10 yards mostly and also at 25 some as well to cover the bases.Truth is we don't know at what range or what condition or situation we may be called upon to take this step in protection of ourselves or loved ones so I feel that it would be best to do it at different ranges.

I've been dabbling at 50 yards my last few range trips. The results have suprised me. I have 2 shorter barrel semi-auto pistols with adjustable sights and a longer barrel revolver with fixed sights. Sighted for 15 yards, the semi-autos both shot about a foot high at 50 yards. With the sights at their lowest setting, they hit about 3" high. The revolver was hitting just a couple inches low of POA. Making my own elevation adjustments, I'm hitting COM easy and with concentration, hitting clay pigeons and a similarly sized Birchwood Casey 44mag spinner target.
3.5" barrel 22auto, 3.8" 9mm auto, and a 6.5" 22 saa revolver. I do get better groups with the revolver. There is much room for improvement, but I'm still pretty impressed with what I can accomplish.

Range range?

Most of the time the 4 shortest range target hangers on the line are taken by the same old guys sitting, shooting scoped 22s and making shotgun patterns on their targets. That is the 7 yard line.
So, if I'm shooting my short barreled handguns, S&W model 10-5, S&W model 60 or Glock 26, the 15 yard line is all that's open that I'd want to shoot. For long barreled handguns, S&W 681, 696, 60-4 17 or Glock 34, the 25 or 50 yard lines get me shooting. The 50 I have to shoot sitting. Mostly that is with my S&W model 17 and Green Tag.

I fire probably only 5% of my ammo any closer than the fifty foot bench at my range. almost everyone I ever see there is shooting at 25 or so so I have to pick out of the three available ranges. one is fifty feet, another is just an open place about a fifty yard berm, another has about a 25 yard berm.

I don't think that shooting at 25 feet provides any sort of training for actual accuracy or shooting, you can't even see what you may be doing wrong if you don't stretch the limits of your capabilities. It's kind of depressing. Things have just changed. precision shooting with a handgun isn't interesting anymore, shooting with speed and athleticism is what works. They're both hard. they both take skill, they are both impressive. I consider control and accuracy to be important.

Usually I'm at an indoor range. What distance the target is at depends on what I'm doing. Which is the only way to decide it.

tipoc

Back