Considering a pocket revolver -- but do they actually fit in pockets???

Smith 642, 5 rds 38 cal, no hammer, 2 inch barrel sticky pocket holster works well for me. My wife checks me out, it can't be seen in normal pants or shorts, even jeans. No skinny pants for me.

I pocket carry a S&W 649 J-Frame 27 oz. loaded. I were cargo pants or dickies in a holster from desantis

I similarly have to wear suit pants or khakis most of the time so pocket carry is my thing as well. And i like to carry revolvers. I’ve tried most of the snubbies out there except for the Taurus 380. I tried two different Ruger LCRs and couldn’t make them work. They were also surprisingly inaccurate when compared to single piece barreled snubbies. They have a great trigger and are the same on height and length with the Smiths, but they are bigger in every other aspect (all the other measurements, especially the trigger guard) and even with boot grips i just couldn’t pocket carry it comfortably in the types of pants i have to wear.

I eventually settled on the Smith 442 pro series (and swapped out the springs for a Wolff kit) or a Charter Arms undercover lite. Charter sells a separate “no hammer spur” hammer replacement for their revolvers for really cheap, so you can make any of their models hammerless. The Charter is lighter and smaller (especially when hammerless) but i like how the 442 pro series will accept moon clips so i get more reliable ejection if i have to reload (i carry a speed strip for the reload).

Your pocket holster selection is also a big deal. Many are bulky. I selected a kydex one that only does a couple things. It covers the trigger guard, it keeps the gun upright in the pocket for a quick draw, and it has a hook causing it to catch and snap off as part of the draw stroke. Makes for very rapid deployment. Check out Boraii holsters.

In terms of 380 pistols, i also have tried several 380s, 32s and 9mms for pocket carry. I had an LC9 but it was too big and not very accurate. 32s had reliability issues. I’m currently using a Ruger LCP2 in 380 which shoots way more comfortably than most, and has been reliable so far.

Good luck on your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look into the Taurus View revolver(it was a 85 with a very small grip and short barrel, with a clear side plate, later changed to an aluminum one). That'd be a great size for a pocket revolver, and in .38 special. They don't make them anymore, but you might be able to find them online.

Look into the Taurus View revolver(it was a 85 with a very small grip and short barrel, with a clear side plate, later changed to an aluminum one). That'd be a great size for a pocket revolver
Would have been great. Except they were so great they only made them for a year or two it that! Maybe if they would have just called them something else, and never put the see through plastic side plate on it.

My old Charter Arms .38 Special I owned a LONG time ago did. Pretty good little gun. Sadly, I sold it. Shoulda kept it.

Amazing.......what's changed?

The late C.R.Sam (I'm jumping to the conclusion Sam passed on since he hasn't posted here since about 2004 & was in his late 80's at that time) - weighed all of 140/145 pounds & packed a 3" K frame in his front pant pocket.

He also packed a 4" and 5" (S&W M29/M28) in his jacket pocket.

Matter of fact, after spending the last hour looking back at Sam's posts to verify exactly what he packed and where, there's bunches of posts from the early days of TFL referring to "pocket carry" of all sorts of stuff.

Might not be a bad idea to rummage through some of them and find out how they all managed to do it.

When I pocket carry a revolver it is in an old Lou Alessi pocket holster and the holster and gun are the only things in that pocket. Three of my revolvers that do get carried fairly often are my Centennial Lemon Squeezer, modern 642 and my Charter Arms Undercover.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

You do have to test a revolvers actually as they are FAR more complicated than an auto.

I've shipped back 686s, GP100s, Taurus 66s. Binding. That also means I've owned those, so I don't dislike revolvers.

It's much worse than any auto failure because the gun can be done if you can't get the cylinder open and it won't rotate.

But to the OP question: no. Snubs in dress pants or normal fitted pants of a youth-middle aged man that doesn't buy big pants...just too big. They carry better than an auto in feel because the cylinder breaks up the shape, but the cylinder is so wide it's like a large cutie orange in your pocket. That's not realistic.

An LCP is way more comfortable.

Last edited:
You do have to test a revolvers actually as they are FAR more complicated than an auto.

I've shipped back 686s, GP100s, Taurus 66s. Binding. That also means I've owned those, so I don't dislike revolvers.

It's much worse than any auto failure because the gun can be done if you can't get the cylinder open and it won't rotate.

But to the OP question: no. Snubs in dress pants or normal fitted pants of a youth-middle aged man that doesn't buy big pants...just too big. They carry better than an auto in feel because the cylinder breaks up the shape, but the cylinder is so wide it's like a large cutie orange in your pocket. That's not realistic.

An LCP is way more comfortable.
I wear only cargo shorts in the Summer, cargo pants in the Winter (nothing else). My S&W Model 36 is undetectable my front-right standard seamed pocket in its Bianchi pocket holster. It rides so well that I am unaware that it is there. So, it would seem to be a matter of what kind of pants a person wears.

I carry a S&W M642 in a Mika pocket holster in Wrangler jeans no problem. Also carry a Taurus TCP in a Mika pocket holster again no issues. I have carried for years a Keltec P32 in a Desantis pocket holster that I have about worn out with no issues. It can be done but you need to figure out how big and deep your pants pockets are to pick a pocket carry weapon.

Ed McGivern had pictures of a Baker Hip Pocket holster, butt to the right, a loop securing it to the belt.

I have a 2.25" SP101 and it doesn't really fit well in the pocket and I typically always wear cargo shorts/pants, maybe I just need ones with an even deeper pocket (cheapo Wrangler brand) but the grip sticks out of the pocket slightly so it's not totally concealed. For that reason I've considered a S&W 360 .357 which is smaller and definitely lighter (half the weight) but the issue is that they're not fun to shoot with 38's let alone 357's whereas the SP101 is easy to shoot, even with 357's. I'd definitely recommend the SP101 but make sure you have pretty deep pockets and don't forget that belt, cause it's hefty.

Last edited:
the only real way to shut everyone up and your desert eagle et al. in your pocket is to model you carrying it in which ever fashion, standing and sitting. sitting is how the majority of the population spend their time and that plays a big part in the comfort and concealability of the pocket carry gun.

I pocket carry an N frame snub nose, if you shop for pants with large pockets you can carry pretty large guns

Back