Considering a pocket revolver -- but do they actually fit in pockets???

Can't remember where I learned this, but with a revolver with an exposed hammer, when you draw from your pocket, put your thumb in the space under the hammer, on the back strap. That prevents the hammer snagging on your pocket. Once clear of the pocket it's simple to let your thumb drop over into your firing grip.

This will work with any gun you draw from your pocket. With your thumb in that position, you're reducing the width of the your grip, which makes it easier to get out of your pocket. Just takes some practice.

I'm not saying this doesn't work, but before adopting this practice I would check with a shot timer if it meets your goals. I would not argue that timers are the ultimate judge of any technique, but they are one way to take an objective measurement.

An alternative is to have a holster than includes the whole inside mouth of the pocket. If the hammer spur is sliding on leather or kydex all the way past the edge of the pocket, it's not going to snag. Of course, this also means that other concealment garments have to be clear.

check with a shot timer if it meets your goals.

I haven't done that, but I can say that drawing from a pocket is always going to be slower than drawing from a holster. Pocket carry is a compromise that allows me to carry a lot more than I would otherwise. I'm not looking for a quick draw, I'm just using the pocket so as to have a gun rather than leaving the gun at home.

a holster than includes the whole inside mouth of the pocket.

I like that idea. Do you have an example of such? The Mika holster doesn't do that, but it comes closer than anything I've tried. Again, can't remember where I saw this but I have read about someone who lined a pocket with leather to turn the whole pocket into a holster.

I've always felt that J-frames were a bit too big for most pockets. Many are also too heavy. I own one of the lightest J-frames, the 351C at 11.5 oz, but I usually carry the 8.5 oz and much smaller NAA Black Widow. It's Florida so clothes are lightweight and nobody wears jackets.

My friends keep telling me I have short arms and long pockets. Especially when the check arrives. Not sure how that relates to revolver carry.

I have never found one larger that the NAA Mini that I could conceal in a pants pocket. .The small autos LCP , Keltec Etc. just seam to work better for me.

I'm still of mixed feelings on pocket carry. Even my Beretta Pico leaves a curiously large rectangle printing in my pocket, isn't that easy to get out quickly, and in many of my pants causes the pocket mouth to bow outward allowing a view down into the contents of the pocket.

I've practiced a lot with this little gun and it's still hard to shoot well, harder still to draw effectively and come out with a good grip. With a perfect grip on a pocket gun like this, your results might be pretty good. But the gun is so small that it is unforgiving of even a slightly off-kilter grip on the handle of the weapon. Where has a much larger gun may give you more room for error, a little pocket 380 seems more likely to almost flip out of your hand if you don't have good purchase.

one of the things that is currently drawing me to the idea of a revolver is that the grip seems to conceal much more effectively under a shirt even when tucked in, and the somewhat rounded and hooked shape of a revolver grip seems to lend itself better toward getting a good firing grip on the first try.

if most of my dress pants make it hard to conceal the Pico in a front pants pocket, then I don't imagine any J frame revolvers are going to conceal their either. so for deep concealment I may simply have to find a better method like one of those pouch deep concealment carry rigs? I think Smartcarry is a popular brand of that style.

anyway, did anybody here switch to a small revolver because they found the pocket 380s simply too difficult to draw and control well?

I have a tuckable Remora holster for it that doesn't always stay put that well. Holster with clips have...well, clips that seem obvious to me but maybe I'm overthinking it. It's still not easy for me to reliably get a fast grip on that gun from IWB

I'd recommend trying a hammerless J frame with a wood grip that fits you in your pocket. If someone is looking hard, they will notice you have something in your pocket but it doesn't necessarily scream "gun".

Can't remember where I learned this, but with a revolver with an exposed hammer, when you draw from your pocket, put your thumb in the space under the hammer, on the back strap. That prevents the hammer snagging on your pocket. Once clear of the pocket it's simple to let your thumb drop over into your firing grip.

This will work with any gun you draw from your pocket. With your thumb in that position, you're reducing the width of the your grip, which makes it easier to get out of your pocket. Just takes some practice.
Being an elderly person who anticipates that any attack on me will be a physical attack in perhaps in a Walmart parking lot, I look forward to drawing my S&W M36 snubbie with my thumb thoughtfully placed over the hammer as I draw while being kicked as I am lying on the ground. Yup, that should work.
I don't know what went wrong...putting my thumb over the hammer spur worked so well in practice. :) Or, I can just bob the hammer spur and give up on the fantasy of needing a hammer on a defensive revolver. :)
001-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] The pocket holster in the picture is a Bianchi...one of the least expensive pocket holsters, one of the best. I have been carrying such for many years...two of them, one for my S&W 36 (I bobbed it.), and one for my Taurus 65 (came already spurless from the factory).

Last edited:
What type of clothing do you wear, OhioGuy?
When I need to wear a deep concealment gun, it's because I'm in business casual or formal work attire, could be a tucked in polo or perhaps a dress shirt. Cool months are no issue, I can hide my PPS or heck my 15 round CZ P-07 under a suit jacket or sweater vest. It's mainly warmer months, or at least times when I don't have an outer cover garment. Cargo shorts or hiking pants have good deep pockets, my khakis or dress pants don't.

One of my regular EDCs is the LCR in .38+p, shrouded hammer. Literally fits in my right front Jean's pocket, no snag, no print. It's an excellent choice for CCW, imho.

I have 3 of the NAA minis they are truly pocket pistols. For me the draw back is being single action. I have a Seecamp 380 that I pocket carry regularly.

I carry a S&W 638 humpback in a Blackhawk size 4 pocket holster in my right front pocket. It is not noticeable when carried in jean pockets or in the pocket of the popular baggy cargo shorts. It draws rapidly without snagging and the tacky outer fabric of the holster always keeps it in place.

I don't know about carrying it in the pocket of dress pants as I am a retiree and only wear those things to weddings and funerals.:)

I will guarantee that I can't get any of those S&Ws or the Colt in my pockets.
Carrying a 35 ounce revolver in your pocket is absurd-as is saying the .38 Spl is a "marginally effective" caliber.

I totally agree. I carry an LCR357 (17 oz) in a Desantis pocket holster or a Kydex IWB. I shoot it rather accurately also. I use only ARX 77 grain .38Spcl ammo in it. I have never felt undergunned.

I understand the idea behind carrying a small revolver that easier to conceal, but to be honest I'd still prefer a holster.

My 642 works better in my pocket than any semi. The revolver has rounded shapes - just like the human body. Semis are blocky and not shaped like any part of the human body.

Back