Complete and Utter Disgrace

That may well be true of the majority of us. You have every right to be disgusted. They have every right to not agree and keep speaking. That is the foundation of liberty. Liberty is not just about allowing people whom you agree with to speak. It is about tolerating and respecting the speech of others, especially speech that you find reprehensible.

Second, I think most Americans, and virtually all veterans, would agree that showing such disrespect for our flag is contemptable and unAmerican in and of itself.

That's not a hypothesis, it's an opinion. A hypothesis is a theory designed to explain a phenomena and is based on rigerous collection of data through experimentation or emperical observation.

Which thus far the majority of us don't

Again, the forum is not a scientific poll, and I wouldn't assume most veterans are OK with flag desecration on the basis of what is posted here.

And, veteran status doesn't somehow give anyone some special voice on any particular topic. Lee Oswald was a veteran and was 100% in favor of desecrating the American flag.

Every American's opinion on flag desecration should carry equal weight.

We don't live in some Robert Heinlein plot line.

Second, I think most Americans, and virtually all veterans, would agree that showing such disrespect for our flag is contemptable and unAmerican in and of itself.
That's not a hypothesis, it's an opinion. A hypothesis is a theory designed to explain a phenomena and is based on rigerous collection of data through experimentation or emperical observation.

I think wikipedia has it best: "In common usage in the 21st century, a hypothesis refers to a provisional idea whose merit requires evaluation."

You are posing a possible explanation for what you see (a hypothesis). It definitely wouldn't satisfy a scientific hypothesis (as there is no data you show to support your view), but then it fits in fine with common usage.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the verbage. If your opinion is called a hypothesis the intent was simply to imply that you are making a statement that is unsupported. It would be nice if you had something to base your opinion on (I don't disagree with your intuition on how veterans should think, but don't think that facts back it up)

Hey all, I'm late to the thread here. I'm not even American and seeing the American flag on the floor made me mad.

Do they have the right to put it there? Yes. But you also have the right to tell them what you think of them.

Do they have the right to put it there? Yes. But you also have the right to tell them what you think of them.
^ This. Let freedom ring. :cool:

And, veteran status doesn't somehow give anyone some special voice on any particular topic. Lee Oswald was a veteran and was 100% in favor of desecrating the American flag.

Every American's opinion on flag desecration should carry equal weight.

We don't live in some Robert Heinlein plot line.

I very heartily agree, and maybe in light of this you should rethink your position. At the very least, don't invoke the sensibilities of vets in this argument since our opinion carries no weight than anyone else's.

I'll post my own hypothesis for consideration: The day they modify Ol' Glory by placing a hammer and sickle on it, or replace the stars with a UN symbol, or place it in the corner of a North American Union flag, the majority of us would be investing in matches and kerosene.
Flag burning ain't so bad, but squelching dissent just ain't American. :D

Last edited:
I very heartily agree, and maybe in light of this you should rethink your position. At the very least, don't invoke the sensibilities of vets in this argument since our opinion carries no weight than anyone else's.

I don't base my position only upon the views of veterans, although I still believe that most would support a flag desecration amendment to the Constitution.

The vets I have spoken with reminded me of the importance of the flag as a sacred symbol. But it also serves as such a symbol to most Americans, whatever their veteran status.

Flag burning ain't so bad, but squelching dissent just ain't American

Flag burning is beyond bad, it is a dispicable act of disrespect. A flag desecration amendment would not "squelch dissent" at all. Or are you saying that flag burning the only means to convey a message of dissent?

Flag burning ain't so bad, but squelching dissent just ain't American
Flag burning is beyond bad, it is a dispicable act of disrespect. A flag desecration amendment would not "squelch dissent" at all. Or are you saying that flag burning the only means to convey a message of dissent?
Since when is that the standard? "Congress shall make no law ... bridging the freedom of speech unless you have some other way available to express yourself?"

Yes, I realize you're talking about a Constitutional amendment so this would get around this restriction. But make no mistake you are most definitely talking about an amendment that would directly counter the first amendment. I don't think protecting the tender sensibilities of those unable to handle watching the stars and bars burn is any more noble of a reason to shred the Bill of Rights than preventing crime.

just another sad reminder that your children are taught by a majority of lefty lunatics and its only getting worse. this is not just in california anymore

The vets I have spoken with reminded me of the importance of the flag as a sacred symbol.
And I hope that the vets you have corresponded with on this forum have impressed upon you the importance of the counterpoint.

as a vet my self i have the right to go to jail for kicking the crap out of anyone who disgraces my country and flag under the freedom of speech banner and will do so.

as a vet my self i have the right to go to jail for kicking the crap out of anyone who disgraces my country and flag under the freedom of speech banner and will do so.

You don't have the right to assault anybody who hasn't threatened you. But you are correct in that you likely will (and should) go to jail for doing so.

Also, since there seem to be plenty of vets on both sides of the issue the whole "as a vet" prefix is probably largely irrelevant.

How physically attacking someone who speaks his or her mind could possibly be considered free speech, I cannot fathom.

What next? Shooting of homosexuals? Pistol whip litterbugs? Beating up anyone who speaks ill of the sitting president? Jail dissidents?

What a great conundrum...can you see the thread...

Well it was on a Sunday when I decided to walk in the park. As usaul, I was carrying my Wilson Combat strong side with my Glock 23 as a BUG and a Seecamp 380 in eachj back pocket...all of a sudden I spied a pimply faced kid with pieces of ripped up American flag in his hands with an older guy beating him severly with a steel cane...I yelled Hey and the guy just kept beating screamin g at me that I was next if I dared to help...I drew my Wilson and the guy with the cane dropped it and drew a revolver......

WildyepwhatweneedismoregunsandbeatingsAlaska TM

I find it funny how some of the more self proclaimed "patriots" who become enraged at the sight of their glorious flag being "desecrated" and who seem to bleed red, white and blue in this thread are the ones who seem to value the true meaning of the constitution the least.

It has always been my experience that the most rabid christians always pick and choose what parts of the bible they choose to believe and which parts they choose to ignore so I am not sure why I am surprised that the most rabid patriots do the same with the constitution. :rolleyes:

if you dont like it here leave. this is America. respect our flag, our president, and our way of life. freedom of speech does not give the right to disrespect, this is the ACLU's, and the liberal's thought, however they are incorrect.

freedom of speech does not give the right to disrespect, this is the ACLU's, and the liberal's thought, however they are incorrect.

Really...so certain speech is deemed "disrespect"? and should be banned?

OK....:rolleyes:

WildsoundslikecanadaAlaska ™

if you dont like it here leave. this is America. respect our flag, our president, and our way of life. freedom of speech does not give the right to disrespect, this is the ACLU's, and the liberal's thought, however they are incorrect.
Really, I am pretty sure it does exactly that. It gives me the right to feel how I want to feel about the country, the President, and anything else I choose. If you don't like it leave yourself. The repressive, hateful, and discriminatory attitude you just expressed will not be missed and is decidedly ant-American.

freedom of speech does not give the right to disrespect

What does freedom of speech mean to you? Freedom to only agree with whoever is in power?

I anxiously await enlightening via your reply.

Back