Charter Arms Forum?

im waiting for a nitride charter arms boomer to become available, though i do like the look of Tallball's on duty Bulldog.

Their new nitride finish is pretty interesting to me.
Like all the others, I would be all over a 6 shot Undercoverette like white on rice.

I have a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special.I'm also thinking about buying the Pitbull .45 revolver. Here's my Bulldog .44 Special.

Meet The Andrews Sisters,,,

Meet The Andrews Sisters,,,
My three Charter Arms handguns.

151217-ThreeCharterArmsRevolversNamed-LR.jpg

.22 LR, .38 Special, and .44 Special,,,
Someday I'll finish the case I'm making for them.

Aarond

My buddie got a Charter Arms Mag Pug 357... 170 shots and the barrel came loose. He couldn't torque it back down because the sight blade was off. He sent it back and they put a new barrel on it. First day he got it back the transfer bar broke in half while dry firing. They are replacing the whole revolver now.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I just picked up my new Charter Arms Boomer .44 Special with nitride finish. I can believe how small it is and how light it is for a 44 special. The trigger pull is heavy, and being that it is a light gun, 18 ounces, I'll have to work on not pulling the gun to the right as I pull the trigger. I really like the nitride finish. Fits into the front pocket of my pants very well. It fits in the same Desantis Nemesis as the Ruger LCR to give you an idea of the size.

Attachments

• 10-14-16 1 resized.jpg
    10-14-16 1 resized.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 10-14-16 resized.jpg
    10-14-16 resized.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 73
We are a three Charter family. I have always been pleased with my Charter's...not the most refined guns, but have always fired with I pulled the trigger and all have shot to the sights...and they are CHEAP.

I have had this Off Duty since 1983...MANY hours of carry and rounds shot. It has been used all of the times that I did not want to mess up a "good" gun. It is wearing the grips of the Bulldog...we did a switch because the Pach's handle recoil a little better on the Bulldog.

20161014_193434_zpsgcflkiz4.jpg

This is my son's new Bulldog. It was a little stiff out of the box, but it will smooth up a little with some shooting.
Just got through working up a 200gr Gold Dot load for it, this morning. Those are 5rds of the load.

20161014_112005_zpsutyvec56.jpg

I just inherited this Undercover from my late FIL. I have only shot it 5rds...but it shot to the sights.

20160612_155350_zpsb23ejwwn.jpg

Last edited:
I purchased a Bulldog last February. I was hesitant to do so because of the reputation the CAs have for spotty quality. Sure enough, when I received the gun the cylinder was out of time. I sent it back to CA and they fixed it and I have to say that this gun has become my favorite for EDC. It fits in my hand better than my Ruger SP101 and LCR. It is not as finely finished, but I don't care. It shoots 240 and 250 grain bullets accurately (I don't have any molds of lesser weight bullets so have not tried them), and while it took a bit for me to get used to the recoil, I now find the gun a pleasure to shoot. I should also point out the the DA action was very stiff initially, but it has smoothed out nicely with use and is almost as smooth as my LCR's DA pull. The SA trigger pull is really light!

Many say that the Bulldog should be carried often and shot little. I don't follow that advice. I take it to the range regularly and shoot as much as I like and the gun has now about 1000 rounds through it with no issues. I do not load the rounds hot, but they are on the upper end of standard pressure.

I've gotten to the point now where I am seriously considering buying the 6 shot undercover in .38 special. It should fit the hand as comfortably as the Bulldog as I understand they share the same frame. If it works as well as the Bulldog has for me, then I would have a winner.

Last edited:
Just picked up an Undercover DAO yesterday. It is used and beat up and I got it for a good price. I was surprised to find it is smaller than a j-frame or an LCR. Not greatly small, but still smaller. Timing is great. Cylinder gap looks good. Biggest surprise is that the trigger is better than my LCRx and *substantially* better than a j-frame. Very happy.

Charters are good guns!!

I've had Charters for years, I think through three different manufacturers. Goes way back to the funky 22 rimfire with the changeable barrels. As far as I am concerned they are good reliable handguns,,,Just keep them clean.

Ohhh, I don't have any guns anymore,, lost them all in the flood.

I have had this Bulldog about a month now. I have put original wood grips and BK grip adapters on it (similar to Tyler T-grip, just made of a polymer resin and does the exact same thing with no 2 month wait to get them). Feels great in the hand and concealability is excellent with an IWB holster, that I made from scrap leather I got from the local shoe maker.

here is my CA Undercover, too. I keep the 44 loaded with Underwood 200 gr. full wadcutters and the Undercover with Underwood 150 gr full wadcutter. Both make big holes and come full bore without having to expand.

Last edited:
Back