Charter Arms Forum?

nice gun Carmady, but it will cost you if it needs repair. Nick Ecker does not warranty the guns his father built, only his own.

Thanks, Jerry. No sweat, I don't believe I'd send it to them for repair if it ever needs it...I've read too many stories.

I've used Charter's CS twice.

Both times, no questions asked, ungodly fast turnaround time, paid for shipping both ways.

I like my .44 Bulldog. Tremendous stopping power and reliability for it's size, and if you can't do it with five shots of .44 special hollow tips, you might as well sit down on your ass and die because no amount of firepower will save you.

I like those Bulldogs, always have.

I've spent some time trying to determine when the change from Bridgeport to Stratford took place, keeping track of the highest Bridgeport serial numbers and the lowest Stratford sn's, 293xxx and 315xxx. Recently I found the following gun on another forum, a transitional or "after the move" gun, 303xxx marked Bridgeport on the barrel and Stratford on the box. The plot thickens.

Attachments

• CA sn 303234 Bridgeport Stratford box 1.jpg
    CA sn 303234 Bridgeport Stratford box 1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 82
  • CA sn 303234 Bridgeport Stratford box 2.jpg
    CA sn 303234 Bridgeport Stratford box 2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 74
  • CA sn 303234 Bridgeport Stratford box 3.jpg
    CA sn 303234 Bridgeport Stratford box 3.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 70
I like those Bulldogs, always have.

I've spent some time trying to determine when the change from Bridgeport to Stratford took place, keeping track of the highest Bridgeport serial numbers and the lowest Stratford sn's, 293xxx and 315xxx. Recently I found the following gun on another forum, a transitional or "after the move" gun, 303xxx marked Bridgeport on the barrel and Stratford on the box. The plot thickens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CA sn 303234 Bridgeport Stratford box 1.jpg (92.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg CA sn 303234 Bridgeport Stratford box 2.jpg (46.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg CA sn 303234 Bridgeport Stratford box 3.jpg (55.2 KB, 2 views)

You're making me want to try another one. I liquidated my Charter a year ago, after 3 broken transfer bars.

Carmady, Bridgeport stamped guns stopped being made in '73, and in '74 is when the Stratford stampings started. The Bulldogs debuted in '73 and were stamped Bridgeport, after one year of production the factory moved to Stratford and the stampings reflected that. if you have a gun stamped Bridgeport but boxed as Stratford you can be sure the gun was made in '73 but wasn't shipped until the move was completed in '74.

That Bridgeport/Stratford gun isn't mine, I just stole the pictures from another forum.

I don't know when they stamp the barrels with the city, after the barrel is made and before it's screwed to the frame, or after the gun is made. I think it would have been possible to have pre-stamped barrels from Bridgeport, and finish the assembly in Stratford after the move, depending on when the barrels are stamped. The 1973 date for the move corresponds with magazine ads I've seen online.

I hope they get their .45ACP Pitbull straightened out. It's a great idea, they just need to improve their execution. I'd guess part of the problem is outsourced parts, and then their assemblers have to do what they can in order to get those parts to work...just guessing.

Try one.

Even if the damn thing does break, Charter Arms will practically show up to your door to fix it. At least they might as well with how fast there CS gets things moving. Seriously though, say what you want about the company and it's products, but it's customer service is UNTOUCHABLE.

32 H&R magnum. My wife and daughter like to shoot it. I like that CA makes revolvers in this under-utilized caliber.

ec157307-6308-415b-b9aa-b6e39e1df9bf_zpsisjdedi3.jpg

44 special. Another caliber I like a LOT. My fav calibers are 22lr, 32 h&r, 38 special, and 44 special. CA sells revolvers in all four! :)

CharterArmsBulldog_zps00d12af0.jpg

Ive never understood why the 32 H&R Magnum revolvers from Charter are 5 shot... The discontinued 327 Patriot was a 6 shot, why 5 in H&R Magnum? Im starting to reload, so the 32 H&R Magnum interests me, but not with only 5 shots...

Are you positive of that? My Taurus 327 is on the small model 85 frame. The SP101-327 is on the small frame. The S&W 327s were on the J Frame. There is no reason the 327 Patriot needed to be on the Bulldog frame. Since the Patriot is such a rare revolver, I have never had the chance to look one over.

My 6 shot Police undercover 38 is on the Bulldog frame, but its obviously a .38 Special.

Recently I've been looking into some of this stuff and it gets confusing, and it's also possible that some information has typo/s making it misinformation. Going by some old magazine ads and one online source of info called Unblinking Eye, it looks like this:

Ad from 1972, Bridgeport has an Undercoverette 6 shot in .32 S&W LONG, year of introduction unknown to me (see pic)

Same gun (6 shot .32 S&W LONG) continued to be made in Stratford, but Undercoverette name dropped in 1978

1984 (this is the odd ball), Unblinking Eye lists a 5 shot Undercover in .32 H&R MAGNUM

The guns above were on the small Undercover frame (not sure about the 5 shot H&R MAG, but the Undercover name suggests it)

1985-1989, according to Unblinking eye, they made the 6 shot Police Undercover in .32 H&R MAGNUM on the larger Bulldog frame. That gun was discontinued in 1989.

http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/CAR/car.html

Attachments

• Ca cat 1972 ad Bridgeport a.JPG
    Ca cat 1972 ad Bridgeport a.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 57
Revival Dont let this thread get lost

Lets revive this Charter Arms forum...

I just discovered how great the bulldog is, I have two of the older ones, a stainless and blue both have 3 inch barrels. I like them alot, looking to buy more of them, first on the list is the BOOMER.

Back