CCW with a single action

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since when is a sportcoat not a viable concealment garment?
I've thought about that from time to time. I could conceal my Smith 686 with a five inch barrel in a belt holster under a long enough jacket, but sitting with it is not comfortable for me, and deploying it in a car would not be easy.

An SAA sized revolver is no more difficult to conceal than any full sized auto pistol.
Full sized auto pistols were not intended for concealed carry. I have met people who do conceal one, though. The Model P is 2/3 again as wide as a Model 1911, and depending upon barrel length, an inch or two longer.

I sometimes carry a Commander-length model with an Officer's grip, IWB. The heath of the grip is the real issue with concealment, and IWB helps with jacket length.

Most people I know do not carry a full sized semi auto concealed.

I carry a Ruger American Compact that is over an inch shorter than a Model 1911, OWB. Twelve rounds.

Let's be more constructive. One cannot assume that we all use handguns for the same purposes. What do you use a handgun for and how often? How much of your shooting consists of:

Fun with no other intent.
Fun with the intent of building skill.
Formal practice for non-combat competition.
Formal practice for combat competition.
Pest control.
Hunting (primary).
Hunting (sidearm).
Practice for concealed carry.
Practice for outdoor use.
Do you carry primarily for urban or rural use?

These are all important. What you do and why is a huge factor in determining what exactly you do it with. If your sole reason for a handgun is personal protection, them I'm sure you cannot understand why anyone would choose anything other than a semi auto. However, if you regularly use a handgun for hunting, pest control around the homestead, things that go bump in the night in a rural setting and informal plinking, then you can do all those things with a single action revolver and do them well. Now mind you, that is actually USING a handgun and for some, it's all the time, nearly every day. Not just carrying it for something that will probably never happen. You may also have no other handgun related interest than single action revolvers. Some people do nothing but collect and shoot Colt SAA's. If you have no interest in them, no experience and don't do any of those things, your choices are going to be different. For somebody that lives with them and uses them every day, it's very natural to carry them concealed.

Most people I know do not carry a full sized semi auto concealed.
Most people I know don't carry a fully sized single action either. Those of us that have done it regularly, know better than those who only hypothesize about it.

If you regularly use a handgun for hunting, pest control around the homestead, things that go bump in the night in a rural setting and informal plinking, then you can do all those things with a single action revolver and do them well.
Absolutely!

Not just carrying it for something that will probably never happen.
The need to use a defensive firearm in the gravest extreme is unlikely to materialize. But one who does carry one had better use it enough to develop and maintain proficiency with it.

For somebody that lives with them and uses them every day, it's very natural to carry them concealed.
It may seem "natural" to carry them concealed, but that does not make them a very good choice for defensive carry.

I can conceal my SA all day long without a jacket.... even with the oversized grips. ;)

4_C5_CC2_A1_EE90_4_FB7_B024_F53362348_CCA.jpg

It may seem "natural" to carry them concealed, but that does not make them a very good choice for defensive carry.

People have their own opinions and make their own choices. Buttin heads with them because you don't agree accomplishes nothing.

I will offer this, and then I am done on this subject:

I wear a Single Action covered by a sport coat, jacket, or vest. At times I do button or zip my outer garment. But when someone else is near whom I don't know for sure as a friend or neighbor, that garment comes open. I unzip or unbutton casually and not in any frantic mode. My gun is in an open holster so there is no need to un-snap any safety strap or loosen any thongs. I do not have to reach through the trigger guard to press any release buttons. Nor do I have to lift my shirt or jacket with my off hand.

If the need arises to draw, I sweep my jacket back with my elbow, grasp my gun butt, draw while cocking the hammer and press the trigger when the muzzle is leveled at my opponent's heart zone. Should a second shot be required, it follows as the gun comes down out of recoil.

If my opponent is any distance from me and is a genuine threat, then I go to a two hand hold and sight more deliberately. Should he have body armor, the second shot is a head shot.

This has been my "order of battle" and practiced for the last forty years or more.

Bob Wright

I was browsing the net, looking for some positives, and came across a discussion about single action revolvers for self defense on Guns&Ammo. A member called snake284 answered the OP with this:
Hell, you're a gun guy, you know the problems you may encounter, you know the score, you do what makes you comfy. I have full faith you'll do fine.
Seems simple, doesn't it?

Once again, that depends solely on the individual making that decision. Are they better off with their choice, or your choice?

Why do those who disagree on this subject feel the need to try to batter the other side into submission?

Why do those who disagree on this subject feel the need to try to batter the other side into submission?

Why do we take the bait and feel the need to defend against someone determined to hijack the thread and argue endlessly?

Bad guys don't like getting shot, let alone getting shot twice, especially when there's an easier "meal" down the street. Carry what you have and get good with it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I see too much focus on how the SA isn't the best tool anymore, and not enough on the fact that if it isn't the best tool it still works, and the op is looking for stories of how it has worked, not what is best to use.

OK,I have one.
My daughter came to me one day and said her fiancé wished he had something on his hip when they were up in the mountains.He had a birthday coming,and could I help? Oh,and she was on a budget.

I had a Uberti Sheriff's model in 45 Colt.Holster,Le hand press,dies,brass,500 bullets,powder,etc. $100. She said "Deal"

Honeymoon came.Cascades,camping in a van in the woods. Asleep. 2 or 3 AM,
Somebody yanked the side sliding door of the van open.
Son in law presented the Uberti and the perp made his exit. No shots fired.
Had they been unarmed,anything could have happened.My daughter might be dead. I have since built him a Father's Day 1911. I like how he is with my grandkids.
I bought my SBH about 1979,maybe 1980. Its about the time Colorado opened up handgun big game hunting.They required 4 out of 6 hits on a 10 in target at 50 yds to qualify. We made a 10 in steel dinger .We had a wheel weight connection and a place to shoot outside in private.
We were hitting that 50 yard dinger 6 for 6 at 50 yds every time.It was not slow bullseye.
I worked harvesting fenceposts in Wyoming till I went to tire busting seven years before I became a machinist.
My SBH did not roll.It stayed how I squeezed it.I shot right strong hand,two handed,and thumbed with my left hand during recoil. I worked on speed,and you might be surprised how well it worked. Draw,point,fire one handed at a 5 gal bucket was pretty easy at 20 feet.

Don't get me wrong,I'm not suggesting a beginner choose a SAA for SD.I don't carry a revolver. But YOU can,and its OK.

But to this day,if I have my .44 SBH in my hand,I'm quite armed.

Last edited:
Good story, HiBC. I'm glad your son in law was prepared, with whatever he happened to have.
Way back before there was a license to carry I had a run-in while camping with some guys who were armed and thought I didn't have a right to be on "their" national forest property. The confrontation was all words, but they were carrying and I wasn't. They won the argument. Since then I have carried any time I camped. Most times that was a single action something.

Not CCW, but...

Some decades ago I was spending my last evening in a Colorado in remote rented cabin.

I had with me a Colt .45 SAA, 5 1/2 inch barrel. I had taken that one rather than my S&W Model 39 because a large animal had tried to get into the same cabin at night the previous summer. I would make the same choice again.

This time, the intruder was human. Fiddled with the back door and with three windows and then got the front door unlocked.

He came in, and then left quickly.

I think the moonlight coming in was probably bright enough for him to see the grooves and lands.

I later sold the gun because I needed the money.

@reteach,

Anything is possible and if it is all you got, as they say it beats a stick & rock. Now, it also depends on where you live and what your daily routine consist of. I've been tempted myself because you can get them in a caliber you really like.

I know you don't want to hear this, but I have never, ever read of anyone doing it on a serious basis. Even the pros will tell you it can be done but it's not advisable. Far to many variables you have to worry about. Even worst than having a safety on a semi-automatic. When you come out in a defensive move you what as little to think about but pulling that trigger. Training the muscle memory to be cocking as you draw sounds good on paper or at home in front of mirror, but under a an adrenaline rush a.k.a. Fear, you may even shoot yourself drawing it out.

Remember in the old days they open carried, not 'concealed carry' and worrying about getting it out from under a shirt or jacket.

It had it's place but that was then when that's all there was, it's been over 100 years now for Double Action, technology advanced. If you do it carry two like the old west use to, that's your quick reload.

Check out Mr. Harrell here, he's one of the best in the business with any platform.

https://vimeo.com/259340173

Once again,I am NOT advocating choosing a SAA or similar for a CCW or EDC.
I'm not telling you or anyone else what to carry,or not carry....
Myself,I would not advocate for any pot metal low quality guns or anything of questionable reliability.
IMO,a .380 or anything smaller are questionable . By many of the current vogue criteria,a case can be made against a J-frame S+W 5 shot 38.

But,doggone,there ARE compromises and preferences,and if YOU feel armed with your Walther PPK or your Ladysmith,or some (hopefully) dropsafe variant of a Remington two shot derringer...Its your personal choice.
I'm not offended by your Glock. If you can figure out how to CCW your AR pistol, go for it.

I know a woman cowboy shooter who carries one of those Cimarron birdshead small frame .38 spl Thunderers or Lightnings,whatever.

She made her choice and she is armed.

Its my opinion (worth Not so much) that time to first round hit with a single action wheel gun can be as fast as anything else if you are accustomed to a SAA.I'm not sure about the hammer snag complaint if your thumb is on the hammer as you draw. I'm just suggesting that those who only sneer at single actions,and have never used one enough that it becomes an extension of the hand really don't comprehend how much trouble a thug or two is in if they scare a SAA holder badly enough. And the cartridge is likely at least a .357,or something that starts with a "4".

I realize this video does not mean much,...I'd still carry the 1911,myself,
but just to challenge asumptions

https://youtu.be/ou_susouj7Y

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back