CCW with a single action

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Gun - Thanks for trying twice to get things back to the original question. Also thanks to others for the positive responses.

But it's been fun to read most of the replies. As Ratshooter says, it's interesting even if it's off the main topic. More ideas about how it can work would be good, but knowledge is knowledge. Keep it going.

By the way - took my Single Seven to the range yesterday. It's the birds head with 3 3/4 inch barrel.
The nay-sayers are right. It's slow to load and it's pretty slow to thumb the hammer and pull the trigger. I concentrated on all of it and built up some speed, but it was still never as fast as the semi-auto I took along.
But the little Ruger shot straight. That part was easy as pie. I'm a fair shot with revolvers and semi's and I wasn't disappointed with the targets I shot with the Glock, but the Ruger targets were better.
Also, JUST FOR FUN, I tried some .32 acp in the Ruger and it worked fine. (Someone asked about that in another thread.) No recoil whatsoever, fired and ejected just fine, and flew straight. Not saying it will work for everyone.

I did use a single action to get myself out of a tight spot once. It wasn't concealed. It was just on my belt in a holster. Here's the story.

I received a 10' Jon boat from grandmother. I decided to take it fishing at a spot my mother used to drop me off at and come back 4-5 hours later and get me. In my absence the neighborhood had changed the ethnicity of who lived there. Apparently white boys were no longer welcome. I didn't know this when I got there.

I had been given a Ruger Single Six and had put it in my tackle box. The only time I have ever done that before or since. Anyway after about 30 minutes of a very uncomfortable feeling like I was being talked about by the group standing at the boat dock I decided to leave. While out in the water I put the gun on my belt.

When I got back to the shore the first person I met was walking down the road with a gallon jug of wine that was almost empty. He looked at me and the gun on my hip and joined the others at the dock. I am sure he spread the word I was armed.

I got my truck and loaded the little boat and off I went. I didn't stop for over a mile. Then I stopped and tied my boat in. I didn't care if it stayed in or not. All I wanted was to be gone. I give credit to having a gun that day. I didn't care what type of gun, just a gun. I have never been back to that area.

If you live in Ft worth Tx it is known as the "Warm Water" area at Lake Arlington. A very bad neighborhood now.

while a 5-shot 38 Special with toned down ammo and no reload, somewhere stuck in a pocket, is the Holy Grail of concealed carry

When is this post from? 1975? That's about how long ago the J frame was da berries for concealed carry.

When is this post from? 1975? That's about how long ago the J frame was da berries for concealed carry.
Must be a generation thing then. I recall it mentioned repeatedly in other CCW threads here and elsewhere and not decades ago.

Semi's have long since taken over concealed carry. Snub nose revolvers still have a strong following among the Fudd crowd though. I like Snubbies but I carry semi's.

whatever the rest of the armed citizens chooses makes no difference to me. A DA revolver in .357 is good enough to do anything against pretty much any human being. I have carried a trooper in inside jacket pocket. I have carried a K in the same situation. I have carried in a vertical shoulder holster. I spent decades with these guns before I bought my first semi. It's not hard to learn to shoot a revolver, concealment isn't that hard. If you can hide a 1911 you can hide a K. Same stands for a SA revolver, the size difference isn't enormous.

Sure, a bunch of rounds of nine can be put into a person. The heavy magnum is a great choice and eventually with practice, a double tap is easily done with either system.

I can put accurate rounds into target just as rapidly with my revolvers as I do with my semi. Shooting those revolvers SA is almost as quick as Da. A SA isn't the same, but anyone can train themselves to make that second hammer cock and shot before the target recovers from the first round, unless the guy is just tougher than wood.

Don't dismiss revolvers for power, or concealability for part of the year. It also helps a lot if you don't wear a wifebeater shirt, flip flops, and baggy shorts.

Success with a SA revolver is going to be almost all about training. Concealment is another issue. honestly, I have put whatever I have handy into my jacket. Isn't having the thing on your person a huge part of success?

To join this discussion and then imply that many of the participants are Fudds seems to me to be rather bad form if your desire is to have an honest discussion. That term does not usually carry a good connotation with those who use it. You may be revealing more about yourself.

Last edited:
I don't look lik that, nor do I have a speech impediment, and I sure don't run around the landscape shooting at anything that breathes.

What Wyosmith posted in #77 above; it just has the ring of truth to it. I only carry a Vaquero in a cross-draw holster on the left hip that occasionally is covered by clothing. No real intention to conceal, it just happens. That's in the woods; around town, I'm unarmed except for my chainsaws. ;) The Portland Metro-region, by and large, just isn't that bad. If I were to desire a concealed-carry rig, I think I would opt for a shoulder rig that places the gun under the left arm vertically and deploying cross-draw. I think it's a pretty big gun for that, but a person could get used to it.
I tried to stay out of this thread, but the, "wifebeater shirt", comment provoked my curiosity. :confused: Never heard that one. I musta been born somewhere out of touch....

skinny white tank top, usualy white, sometimes unclean, sometimes with the armpits slashed to waist level. sometimes produces a deep, visceral reaction of disgust.

from quora.com

main-qimg-ce85802aa65f72b9a0b15d0ff87523df-c

If it floats your boat go for it, you can always get an LCR for a back-up.
The reason for doing it is because it looks cool, and the likely-hood you will need it is small. Now if you owned a check cashing business I would say stick with a Glock or an HK.

The reason for doing it is because it looks cool, and the likely-hood you will need it is small. Now if you owned a check cashing business I would say stick with a Glock or an HK.
Should it be needed, the requirement will the same no matter what the likelihood of occurrence may have been.

Should it be needed, it will be better than the 45 you left at home. The problem comes when there is a false sense of security.

I have a friend that carries a SA Ruger everyday. He carries it in a very nice custom holster on his strong side. He purchased the holster from me after I sold the SA Ruger it was made for. I'd considered carrying an SA some but my strong side hand was not large enough to thumb clock the hammer when I would draw the revolver. I'm much faster getting my 1911 into action then I was with an SA Revolver so I carry my 1911. Carry what you like and what you're proficient with is my motto.

As usual those passing judgment and making disparaging remarks are those least qualified to do so. I don't do it often but those I know who do, do so because it's what they shoot all the time. By all the time, I mean all the time. Tens of thousands of rounds a year and they'd rather pull their own teeth than spend five minutes with a Glock.

It's also comical that people will dismiss competition shooting involving single action revolvers but espouse IPDA or IPSC as combat practice for the automatic. In the end, what will matter most is the Indian, not the arrow. :rolleyes:

The gun is nothing but a tool...”Indian vs. arrow” i get it

BUT, some tools do some jobs better. I can put in a screw with a hammer. That doesnt make it the best tool for the job.

A single action revolver is just not the best tool for the job of self defense in todays world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back