CCW with a single action

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I'd rather go into a gunfight with a Glock or similar high capacity auto, I'd never sell a single action short. They tend to fire a round that packs a wallop and with plenty of practice, thumbing the hammer becomes second nature with one hand or with two. I have no doubt that guys like Bob Wright can handle business with their old school hoglegs.

Not a fan of that big hammer being unprotected by the holster. Likewise the trigger. Just looks like the hammer could be poking your side for one thing. Or possibly get snagged in something cocking it. Then the trigger being unprotected could all be adding up to a perfect storm.
I don't care for an exposed hammer on a carry gun in the first place. Then there is the fact that I don't want the extra step of disengaged a safety. With a SA revolver it's like having to disengage the safety every time you shoot. Only it takes a longer, and less ergonomic motion. Then there is the one at a time slow reloading if necessary.
Too many things add up to it being one of the worst choices for CCW regardless of competency of operation.

I have an NAA .22 mag as well. I also have a Kahr PM9 that I bought as a CCW. But man is that NAA way more convenient to carry than even the subcompact 9mm...

Quote:
I should have noted also that single action holsters are typically made to fit rather wide belts, more than one would use in common pants belt loops.

Quote:
When ordering a holster, specify belt width. i have mine made for 1 1/2" belts.

I wear a 1 1/2 inch belt but it's about 1/4" thick. It won't sag or curl over.

I've carried a single action for most of the last fifty years. It's what I like and shoot the best. Often carried in a full flap cavalry holster. Never felt under-gunned in any way. Today's EDC is a 4.62" Single Seven with full house Federal soft points in a pancake holster I made years ago for a 1911. Hehe...perfect fit. I make my own gun belts, saddle scabbards, and all other holsters, too. See, I had this project, I was gonna build a saddle, so I have all this leather...carry eight round speed strips for reloads.

Before anyone extolls the virtues of one handgun type over another for CCW, he or she would be well advised to try one out in realistic defensive pistol shooing. I do not mean firing at a target at seven yards or more and evaluating group size. I mean drawing and shooting as quickly as possible to achieve combat accuracy at realistic defensive ranges. Say, drawing in a second and a half and putting three to five rounds in another second or two into an area the size of an upper chest at distances varying from about ten feet to, say, fifteen feet.

Repeatedly, with targets in different locations not known in advance to the defender.

And then, to use it in some realistic FoF training.

One who may have "felt comfortable" with some firearm or other may be in for an eyeopening experience.

Carrying a SA revolver in the 21st century is pure vanity

What do you call intolerance for other people's preferences? I don't actually carry a SA for lack of a suitable holster, but call me vain.:p I shoot Cowboy Action, so I know how to run a SA. I don't shoot one-handed, but I could, and would certainly practice that, if intending to carry for defense.

Last edited:
What do you call intolerance for other people's preferences?
Expressing opinions and providing objective support for same does not constitute "intolerance for other people's preferences".

There were very good reasons for the replacement of the single action mechanism, and for the replacement of the single ejection-single loading process, in small pistols more than a century ago.

The old single action pocket guns joined those without trigger guards, those that did not use self-contained ammunition, guns that were slow to reload, and guns that were not drop safe in collections a very long time ago.

Expressing opinions and providing objective support for same does not constitute "intolerance for other people's preferences".
The post that was the impetus for the intolerance remark did not provide objective support. It was merely an Ad Hominin attack ("Carrying a SA revolver in the 21st century is pure vanity") and also not accurate. There can be many reasons why a person would choose to carry a single action for defense. Dismissing them as "vain" is intolerant. Note that I do not carry a Single-Action.

Not a fan of that big hammer being unprotected by the holster. Likewise the trigger. Just looks like the hammer could be poking your side for one thing. Or possibly get snagged in something cocking it. Then the trigger being unprotected could all be adding up to a perfect storm.

As I said previously, I don't think carrying a single action revolver concealed is a great idea, at least not for me.

However I have been lugging my Colts around in CAS for close to twenty years now and the hammers have never poked me in the side, through all ranges of motion. I don't worry about the triggers being exposed either.

5.75%20Holster_zpsdl4ptemb.jpg

7.5%20Holster_zpsqvypoosz.jpg

There can be many reasons why a person would choose to carry a single action for defense.
There are few if any really viable reasons for choosing one for concealed carry, which was the original topic, for defense against humans, if there are other choices.

To say so is by no means an ad hominem attack. Attributing a decision to do so to vanity would not always be appropriate; ignorance would be a better choice of words.

Post #49 provides one approach to clarifying the issue, but an in-depth study of handgun wounding mechanics should also serve to eliminate some of he misconceptions on this subject.

There is a lot of folklore, and a lot of romance in the collecting and shooting of single action revolvers, and the do have real uses in some applications, but concealed carry for lawful defense against humans is not among them.

We recall that the popularity of Western movies and TV shows were the impetus for the resurrection of single action revolver production after WWII.

I should have noted also that single action holsters are typically made to fit rather wide belts, more than one would use in common pants belt loops. Threepersons is better in that regard. 2 1/4" is standard from El Paso Saddlery but narrower on request.

Another point is that with a higher carrying holster, it is best to keep the barrel length pretty short so you don't have to lift as high to clear the holster.

This holster is made for 1-1/2” belt, I chose it over a three persons because a Blackhawk is a heavy gun and even though I use a gun belt I wanted to spread the weight.
4732d049d3a385933bd767c2f3f94b01.jpg
5cb54b31630835e724b044d61c2c06e4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back