CCW Set up $580

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I agree with you. I've done a fair amount of research about the G19 and many people seem to be able to CC them just fine under a simple button-up shirt. My only danger would be letting my weapon show within Grand Rapids City limits proper since it has a law against Open carry in defiance of Michigan law. I have a few short and long sleeve button-ups that will fit the bill and hoodies and sweaters for when it is colder. I also have at least one paior of jeans with a waist slightly larger than it needs to be. It is just asking for a Crossbreed supertuck with a G19 in it.

That side by side pic in post #17 of the G19 next to the CM9 is worth a lot of study. As I've written here before, as the months and years roll by... For an ordinary non-LEO person, the odds of ever needing more than 6 shots are so miniscule, I simply don't feel a need to carry more than a single-stack 99% of the time, so I go forth armed with "light and thin".

But, to each, his own... for sure. Whatever rocks your world.

Well guys it's ordered: A Gen 3 with two 15 rounders for $440. The cheaper ones were gone by the time he called. Not that bad considering I was going to buy two 15 round magazines for about $80 anyway. I might consider adding a third at some point but two should do for now. He said it should take about a week to reach him and then we will probably meet up, do the exchange and I will proceed to show grandpa the new Cabela's that opened up just a couple miles from me while Grandma and Mom play with the kiddo.

I went with an OWB holster for now too. The idea of IWB appeals to me, but I think ti will be something I escalate too once it gets too hot for coats/sweaters up here in MI. So I purchased a nice looking black Desantis "Scabbard" OWB with two different settings to angle the pistol.

Looks like the CCW class I want is booked up through March, which stinks but I might be able to score a seat if someone drops out or I suppose I'll have to take the class in April. It is way cheaper than other classes and taught by a County sheriff; which is hard to beat!

I am quite excited right now! I'm adding my first polymer-framed gun, first 9MM and the legal right to carry it all in short order to my (as the local news would describe it) small arsenal.

CWKahrfan:

I am not against the addition of a single stack later; but I will not be a carry 24/7 guy in the short term anyway. With my current job and school I am barred from carrying most of the time and the G19 offers me a gun that can be CCed with relative ease but still be a blast to shoot and do double duty as HD or HD backup to the shotgun.

Someday when I break the shackles of corporate America from my wrists (I am, of course being dramatic for effect) I will probably look into getting something smaller and more comfortable that can be carried all the time.

For now, the G19 will go with me when it can.

I should, I think, consider one of those safes with a cable to lock it up in the car if need be.

I have about 4 holsters that I use for carrying, depending on weather, gun, occasion, etc. One of those 4 is a DeSantis Speed Scabbard. I've had mine for, oh, a little over a year, and I really like it. Good choice, IMO.

Thanks. I put a fair amount of research into what holster to buy.

Sharkbite; I appreciate your generous offer of a holster but I decided to just buy one. I figured it was worth it to seek out something I really wanted and also this way I don't have to pester you. :)

I am excited to take my training and get licensed! I've been reading up on various SD books so far and as mentioned have absorbed some "unofficial" advice from the presumably knowledgeable; but it will be good to have formal training too.

That Crossbreed Supertuck will make that thing just about disappear and is very comfy. I honestly can't tell when it is loaded or not. I have left the house thinking I was carrying and wasn't! That is how good they distribute the weight. That won't happen again!

Glad to hear it! I plan on acquiring a crossbreed once I get my license so I have some different carry options! It seems to come highly recommended by everyone who has one; haven't heard a bad thing about it.

The CBST does get great reviews, but their wait time was too long for my tastes. That was a couple of years ago, and I have no clue how long their wait time is now, . . . but that's neither here nor there. There are a number of competitors/clones to the CBST. I went with a Theis and had my holster in days rather than months: http://theisholsters.com/ I've been very happy with it, but I have no idea what Tommy's wait time is, either.

Holster-wise, the many hybrid Supertuck clones are probably your best choice. They are extremely comfortable.

You can get an AlienGear hybrid IWB holster for I think $30, so there's no reason to pay the same amount for a crummy Uncle Mike's "All 4" barrel autos" holster.

The Kahr CW9 is a good choice, but having owned its better-finished older brother the P9 and also the S&W Shield, I prefer the Shield. Recoil is subjectively softer, and while the trigger on the Shield is not as smooth, pull is shorter, just as light, and has a substantially better reset. Magazines are also a bit more reliable - my spare Kahr mags always ended up with the cartridge nosing straight up.

Shield prices vary, but $400 seems about normal, and I've seen them as low as $350 if you hunt hard.

Thanks for the holster tips guys. The class I want to take will be delayed a bit now, probably until April, so I have some time to practice.

What I do have after yesterdays gunshow is 100 rounds of 9MM practice ammo. While it isn't exactly an ammo stash it is a good start and I have some targets and drills I want to run through. 100 Rounds should be enough.

After I take possession of the Pistol I am also going to pickup up 50-60 rounds or so of defensive ammo, I am hoping to find Speer Gold dots 124gr at the local Cabela's.I may have to settle for Remington's equivalent though since they usually have that in stock. I want to leave myself enough defensive ammo for a magazine full.

Here it is! My first 9;my first poly pistol and my first carry peice!

Thanks for the help everyone!

blogger-image-1147638260.jpg

Nice piece! The G19 is on my shortlist. I went with a SW mp9 because I got a deal on a slightly used one. But I'll have a Glock sometime this year. Enjoy it. P.s down in Ohio you can get 100 rds of American eagle 9mm for about $28 at the Walmart. Might wanna check your local Wally World.

Thanks guys!

I'll have to check Wally World out. There is one close to where I work.

It is a Gen3. The size/grip angle of the frame doesn't bother me so I don't need changeable grips straps. Also, even though I regularly handle various abrasive surfaces, often with a lot of weight behind them I still did not care for the texture of the gen4.

It has been a long road gentlemen. I first decided I wanted a defensive pistol in my arsenal 5 years ago. Since then I have switched schools, moved into a house, gotten a new job, gotten married and had a child! Finally it came about.

Once again thanks for the guidance all. It's funny how the G19 was my first want, and has been on and off for years and here it finally is!

You did well. Gen4 is pretty popular, but there are still a whole lot of folks who prefer Gen3. I'm sure it will serve you well.

We'll be waiting on that first range report. ;)

Here are some better pictures; sorry about the poor quality of the last one (not that you don't know what a Glock looks like, but this one is MINE):

blogger-image-1561008108.jpg

blogger-image--1619941690.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back