CCW Set up $580

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like the choice I am making now is one of size.

There is:

The Double-stack: Glock 19, a "compact" sized pistol but still wide.

The single-stack: I am wavering between Kahr Cw9 and a Shield, have to hold them side-by-side

The tiny: A S&W 642.

baddarryl said:
. . . .One other point to make that you may not have thought of. When I first stated carrying I felt like I had a huge boil on my face and everyone knew it. Now I can carry a GP100 4 inch with the right holster and not think twice about printing. No one cares anyway. You will get used to it.
baddaryl is absolutely right about this. The first few times I carried, I kept waiting for someone to start screaming, "ERMAHGERDHESGOTAGUN!!!" It never happened. Eventually, carrying quits feeling weird.

Spats McGee said:
baddaryl is absolutely right about this. The first few times I carried, I kept waiting for someone to start screaming, "ERMAHGERDHESGOTAGUN!!!" It never happened. Eventually, carrying quits feeling weird.

I'll go a step further. I open carry my firearm about 30% of the time, depending on my attire, destination, and the company I am with. I have only been engaged about my carrying about half a dozen times, probably once for every 10 times I carry. Most of these have been at my apartment complex laundry room, and they have all been polite questions about why I carry and the legality. I have been PRAISED for carrying by folks in the grocery store line.

Long story short, even with an exposed firearm, many folks don't notice it. Do your best to conceal your firearm, while carrying concealed, and act normal. Your body language and posture will probably set off more "red flags" than a bulge at your hip.

JimmyR said:
Spats McGee said:
I'll go a step further. I open carry my firearm about 30% of the time, depending on my attire, destination, and the company I am with. I have only been engaged about my carrying about half a dozen times, probably once for every 10 times I carry. Most of these have been at my apartment complex laundry room, and they have all been polite questions about why I carry and the legality. I have been PRAISED for carrying by folks in the grocery store line.

Long story short, even with an exposed firearm, many folks don't notice it. Do your best to conceal your firearm, while carrying concealed, and act normal. Your body language and posture will probably set off more "red flags" than a bulge at your hip.
It's not safe to assume that folks didn't notice the exposed firearm just because they didn't say anything. It's entirely possible that they didn't say anything because . . . . you have gun on your hip.

While MI is a legal open carry state, I live in Grand Rapids, which has an ordinance against open carry; so staying totally concealed would be very important for me. I really don't want to get arrested because my shirt comes untucked or something.

Good to know!

Spats McGee said:
It's not safe to assume that folks didn't notice the exposed firearm just because they didn't say anything. It's entirely possible that they didn't say anything because . . . . you have gun on your hip.

That is very true, and I am not espousing the dichotomoy that people either mention it or don't notice it. I am saying that, when I OC, I have never caused a riot in my local gas station, convenience store, grocery store, or laundry facility. Some ask about it, some may keep a closer eye on me, and others, I believe, don't even pay it any attention, if they see it at all. I'm still working on the mind-reading, so I can't say how many people fall into which group.

Thanks for the tip Ruger480.

I think I am leaning Glock at this point, my grandpa has a hookup and can get me one for about $450 (and he said he would pay for shipping.) He said he might be able to order a 642 but it would take a while for him to get for whatever reason from the time he orders and his discount isn't nearly as steep. So really, there will be less than a $75 difference in price. After much research into actually carrying a G19 in say, hot weather I have decided that my wardrobe (made up of a fair number of short and long sleeve button ups, a few polos and a couple t-shirts) is pretty well suited to carrying a bigger gun. If I decide to go smaller, like with a single stack or the 642 I can always buy one later.

Ok, so it looks like the OP's situation looks something like this:

Gun -- G19, most likely
Belt -- already covered
Holster -- Sharkbite's hooking him up
CPL -- already factored in

So what's left? Sounds to me like ammo, some range time and the Wally Walk are all that remain. ;)

When you can finagle it, I'd suggest that you get some training above and beyond what's required for the CPL. Yes, it takes time and $ to do so, but it's still a good idea.

That sums it up pretty well. :) My bonus should come in this Friday and I can move forward on the pistol. I stoll have to schedul my CPL class but I will probably get into the one in mid-March. I think I have found some money for ammo too...

I do plan to get more professional training. I was actually a police academy candidate a few years back but had to withdraw from the program for a medical reason, however I did spend lots of time a the range and soaked up quite a bit of "unofficial" training. I've received limited training from friends in LE and the military, as well as various books. I do plan on taking some more advanced classes at one of the local facilities when I can afford though. Training is NEVER a bad thing!

I'll be sure to report back once I have the pistol in hand and again after the class.

Thanks again everyone for your assistance in making this decision.

I also cc a g19 pretty much every day. It's not a big deal
I when i first started carrying I bought a tiny gun, but I decided that if I ever need a gun I'll want one I can shoot well.
Sounds like you've done your research and have a pretty good plan. I'm sure you're going to like the final outcome.

Thanks. Being able to shoot it well is a big deal and honestly, it would be nice to have a gun that is fun to shoot too. If I got a 642 right now I would probably end up hardly ever shooting it vs. shooting my Ruger MKII. I am familiar with the G19 for various reasons and I think it is just the right size. Besides CC the gun will make a great backup to my Mossy 500 for HD to; whereas the 642 feels anemic in that role.

When I started carrying, it was an LCP in my pocket. I loved how comfy it was and how discreet it was. I wanted something a tad bigger and went with the LC9. I never got used to that trigger so I replaced it with a Shield. Loved the Shield then found the Glock 26. It's currently on my hip and it will remain there. At least until I decide to carry my 19! I gradually increased in size and capacity at my own pace as I got more comfortable.

Good luck to the OP and you will have a great journey learning about different guns and holsters. It may be an expensive one as it was for me. Hopefully not.

the G19 is a fine weapon and it hides way better then you think it does, my wife is starting to carry hers some and it hide pretty good under her shirts that she wears,she has a nice butt with flaring hips and a small waist and most of her shirts come down about half way over her butt, the G19 on her belt doesnt stand out. I doubt if you got that much flare in the hips as camaflauge but my G23 disapears against my side with ease :)

I talked to my grandpa tonight (the FFL) and he said he just saw in a flier a Glock 19 that comes with 1 10-round magazine for $369.99! Now I would probably grab a few 15 rounds mags but that still only brings my cost to $420! Add $70 for a holster and it is $490; cost of class and license is $180 so total cost is $570!

Now that said, he said he cannot guarantee availability on something like that because sometimes those "deals" pop up and they only have 3-4 of them actually. If not though he can still score me a NIB gen 3 for around $450 with two 15 round mags.

Cross your fingers for me! Hopefully some are still available come tomorrow morning.

the G19 is a fine weapon and it hides way better then you think it does, my wife is starting to carry hers some and it hide pretty good under her shirts that she wears,she has a nice butt with flaring hips and a small waist and most of her shirts come down about half way over her butt, the G19 on her belt doesnt stand out.

Very nice SubHuman! :) Actually my finance (also nice butt and little waist) carries a HK P2000 (not a small gun) quite a bit with with a cover shirt unseen. Sorry mods, just couldn't resist!

Yikes, my thread got dirty...

I won't brag about my wife's backside; but I will say that I don't think I'll be getting her to carry anytime soon. Though the other day at Cabela's I did catch her looking pretty closely at some CC purses.

I've been thinking a lot about how to conceal this gun and the research has actually made me quite hopeful about my ability to do so.

Last edited:
All joking aside the point about my girl is that anyone can carry even a full size duty weapon given the right holster and attire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back