CCW Class...How They Have Changed.

The vast majority of Mil personal get almost zero handgun training.

Irrelevant.

They get much more firearms training and firearms safety training than the vast majority of Police Departments.

That is why you can use your DD214 and Military ID as proof of firearms training in most states that even require some proof of competency in firearms.

Even Communist places like Maryland understand that:

Exceptions to possession of the HQL License
A Licensed Firearms Manufacturer.
Active law enforcement officer or a person retired in good standing from a law enforcement agency of the United States (Federal Law Enforcement), the State, or a local law enforcement agency of the State.
Active or retired member of the United States Armed Forces or National Guard and possesses a valid military identification card.
A person purchasing, renting or receiving an antique, curio or relic as defined in federal law.
Maryland licensed firearms dealers. (Sole Proprietors)

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

davidsog said:
That is why you can use your DD214 and Military ID as proof of firearms training in most states that even require some proof of competency in firearms.
The only state I'm aware of that accepts a DD214 as proof of firearms safety training is Florida. I currently hold non-resident permits from five states, and Florida was the only one that accepted my DD214. I'm sure there are others, but I don't think it's accurate to say "most states that require some proof of competency in firearms."

Irrelevant.

They get much more firearms training and firearms safety training than the vast majority of Police Departments.

Absolutely relevant. You are saying a DD214 shows proof of training to apply for a concealed carry permit. But most former mil types have almost zero handgun training. So how does that prepare them to carry and use a handgun?

Irrelevant.

I don't know that I see it as irrelevant. Most people are concealed carrying pistols, not rifles. I've firsthand seen servicemen have issues with using a pistol because of lack of familiarity. Does that mean they're worse than police? That depends on the department. My experience with training with police has shown me a very wide range in terms of skill, as wide as exists in the civilian world.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I don't know that I see it as irrelevant.

Who cares??

The law sees your opinion as irrelevant as do most folks who understand the intent. I have seen first hand LEO's who have issues using a pistol due to lack of familiarity as well.

Aguila Blanca says:
The fundamental purpose for CCW classes isn't to make you a marksman, or an "operator," or even to teach you the laws in order to help you stay out of jail. If you read the various state laws for states that require some sort of training as a prerequisite to issuance of a license/permit, the overwhelming majority that I have read all talk about firearms safety training. In a nutshell, they want to be sure that people who walk around with guns know which end the bullets come out of, and that there's at least a reasonable chance that the person won't shoot someone by accident.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6729568&postcount=9

Who cares??

The law sees your opinion as irrelevant as do most folks who understand the intent. I have seen first hand LEO's who have issues using a pistol due to lack of familiarity as well.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6729568&postcount=9
Seeing as this is a discussion forum, I care, your approval isn't required for my opinion, and I'm not the only one, it would seem, with that opinion. And given that it seems to be the case that in fact no, not all states and thus not all members of law enforcement accept a DD214 carte blanche, it may be that this "opinion" is shown in the laws of certain localities. And even if it was the law everywhere, that still doesn't remove the right to question it, given that laws are derived from the people.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The only state I'm aware of that accepts a DD214 as proof of firearms safety training is Florida.

Only Florida expedites a CCW application with a DD214. Most states accept it in leu of firearms training.

A Basic Trainee fires more ammunition and receives more firearms training than the majority of LEO's.

As many veterans already know, several states show their gratitude to active duty and honorably discharged service members by making the process of acquiring a gun or concealed carry permit a little easier.

For instance:

Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico and Texas are all states that offer waived or discounted gun licensing fees to eligible veterans.
Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Montana, New Mexico, Ohio, Oregon, Texas, West Virginia and Wisconsin all allow qualified veterans to either take fewer hours of required firearms training courses or skip them all together, depending on the state.
Maine, Missouri, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Texas have lowered the legal age for gun and/or concealed carry permits to 18 for qualified veterans only.
Florida is the only state so far that actually expedites the process of granting concealed carry permits to veterans.

https://dd214direct.com/veteran-need-guncc-permit/

not all states and thus not all members of law enforcement accept a DD214 carte blanche

If that is what you think was said, OK.

Here is another state not on that list:

Exemptions from training requirements

The following persons are exempt from training and already qualify for an Arizona CCW permit:

Active duty (any State) P.O.S.T. certified peace officer
Active duty Federally credentialed peace officer
Honorably retired federal, state or local peace officer (or judge) with a minimum of 10 years of service
An active duty county detention officer who has been weapons certified by an employing agency.
Active duty military (age 19 or older) or general or honorably discharged (DD-214)
Anyone with an expired or current CCW permit from any state, or a certificate of completion from a firearms safety course approved by the Department of Public Safety, or any firearms course taught by law enforcement officer or agency, or any course taught by an NRA certified instructor.

http://www.ccw-permit.com/ccw-training-exemptions.htm

Most states require no firearms training at all to get a CCW. Most states that do have a training requirement accept a DD214.

In many states including New York a valid DD214 allows you to apply for a firearms license when younger than age 21 in addition to waiving the requirement for firearms training:

A person under 21 who has been honorably discharged from military service is eligible to apply for a firearms license.

https://www.ny.gov/services/apply-firearms-license

Peoples Republic of California you do not need the firearms training:

Firearm Safety Certificate Exemptions

Military - Active Duty
Exemption Code: X21; Authorized by Penal Code section 31700, subdivision (a)(10)
An active member of the United States Armed Forces, the National Guard, or the Air
National Guard.
Page 4 of 33
 Military - Reserve
Exemption Code: X22; Authorized by Penal Code section 31700, subdivision (a)(10)
The active reserve components of the United States Armed Forces.
 Military - Honorably Retired
Exemption Code: X25; Authorized by Penal Code section 31700, subdivision (a)(10)
Any person honorably retired from the United States Armed Forces, the National Guard,
or the Air National Guard.

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/hscman.pdf

davidsog said:
Only Florida expedites a CCW application with a DD214. Most states accept it in leu of firearms training.
You posted that before, but you still haven't provided any documentation. Offering a discounted price to veterans is not the same thing as accepting a DD214 as proof of required firearms safety training.

My DD-214, thanks to typical Army efficiency, reflects that I qualified with the M14. However, I never saw an M14 after I finished AIT. My duty weapons were either the M1 Carbine or the M16 rifle, both of which I had to qualify with before I was allowed to carry one. I didn't "qualify" with it, but I also fired the M1911A1 as a member of my battalion's competition shooting team at my CONUS permanent duty station. So my DD-214 doesn't show any handgun training. Florida's state law requires proof of "firearms" safety training, so a DD214 showing only the M14 was acceptable. Many states, however, require proof of handgun safety training.

Let's run down your list and see which states may actually accept a DD-214. I'm using the second part of your list, the part that says, "Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Montana, New Mexico, Ohio, Oregon, Texas, West Virginia and Wisconsin all allow qualified veterans to either take fewer hours of required firearms training courses or skip them all together, depending on the state."

Colorado:

Documentary evidence demonstrating competence with a handgun as specified in section 18-12-203 (1)(h) of the Colorado Revised Statute. (see TRAINING REQUIREMENTS SECTION for further details)

18-12-202.5 "HANDGUN TRAINING CLASS" MEANS:

(a) A LAW ENFORCEMENT TRAINING FIREARMS SAFETY COURSE;

(b) A FIREARMS SAFETY COURSE OFFERED BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY, AN INSTITUTION OR ORGANIZATION OR FIREARMS TRAINING SCHOOL, THAT IS OPEN TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC AND IS TAUGHT BY A CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR; OR

(c) A FIREARMS SAFETY COURSE OR CLASS THAT IS OFFERED AND TAUGHT BY A CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR.

From Colorado's Application Criteria:

Demonstrates competence with a handgun by submitting:
1. evidence of experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competitions or current military service,

2. evidence that, at the time the application is submitted, the applicant is a certified instructor,

3. proof of honorable discharge from a branch of the United States Armed Forces within the three years preceding submittal of the application, or

4. proof of honorable discharge from a branch of the United States Armed Forces that reflects pistol qualifications obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application,

5. a training certificate from a “handgun training class” (see definitions) obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application. The applicant shall submit the original training certificate or a photocopy thereof that includes the original signature of the class instructor. In obtaining a training certificate from a handgun training class, the applicant shall have discretion in selecting which handgun training class to complete.

So, for Colorado, not all DD-214s are accepted. All are good if less than three years old, and if more than three years but less than ten years must show pistol qualification. DD-214s older than ten years are not accepted.
- - - - - - - - - -
Illinois:

Illinois requires 16 hours of training. A DD-214 may be substituted for "up to" eight ours of the required 16.

"Any remaining hours that the applicant completes must at least cover applicable State and Federal Laws Relating to the Ownership, Storage, Carry and Transportation of a Firearm Instruction as well as Weapons Handling as defined in the statute and administrative rules. The Instructor shall verify the aggregate number of hours for which the applicant provided proof of instruction in Firearms Safety, Basic Principles of Marksmanship, and Care, Cleaning, Loading and Unloading of a Concealable Firearm, based upon a list provided by the Department of accepted training courses, and provide the necessary additional hours of training to equal 16. Applicants must meet the minimums set out in the 16 hour curriculum. The instructor will need to assess and verify the areas on which the applicant was previously trained and modify the blocks of instruction in sections 1, 2, and 3 to cover the remaining requirements. Sections 4 and 5 should remain unaltered."

For Illinois, a DD-214 may be worth something, but not more than 8 hours of the required 16 hours -- and that's up to the discretion of the instructor. A 30-year old DD-214 showing that you qualified on the M16 rifle won't satisfy the requirement for proof of instruction in the Care, Cleaning, Loading and Unloading of a Concealable Firearm.
- - - - - - - - - -
Iowa:

Statute: 724.9 Firearm safety training.
1. An applicant for an initial permit to carry weapons shall demonstrate knowledge of firearm safety by any of the following means:
4. If firearm safety training is required under this section, evidence of such training may be documented by any of the following:
a. A photocopy of a certificate of completion or any similar document indicating completion of any course or class identified in subsection 1 that was completed within twenty-four months prior to the date of the application.
b. An affidavit from the instructor, school, organization, or group that conducted or taught a course or class identified in subsection 1 that was completed within twenty-four months prior to the date of the application attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant.
c. For personnel released or retired from active duty in the armed forces of the United States, possession of an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions issued any time prior to the date of the application.
d. For personnel on active duty or serving in one of the national guard or reserve components of the armed forces of the United States, possession of a certificate of completion of basic training with a service record of successful completion of small arms training and qualification issued prior to the date of
the application, or any other official documentation satisfactory to the issuing officer issued prior to the
date of the application.

For Iowa, it appears that a DD-214 is acceptable.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Kentucky:

From the Kentucky State Police web site http://kentuckystatepolice.org/ccdw/ccdw-home/qualifications/

Qualifications for a CCDW License
The applicant for a carry concealed deadly weapon (CCDW) license must:

* Be at least 21 years of age.
* Demonstrate competence with a firearm by successful completion of a firearms safety or training course offered or approved by the Department of Criminal Justice Training.

From the State Police web page on training waivers:

Is anyone exempt from the training requirements?

Yes.

The following individuals are eligible for a training waiver:
Active or honorably discharged service members service members in the United States Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, or Coast Guard, or a reserve component thereof, or of the Army National Guard or Air National Guard that meet the following criteria are deemed to have met the training requirement:
1. Successfully completed handgun[/]b] training which was conducted by the United States Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, or Coast Guard, or a reserve component thereof, or of the Army National Guard or Air National Guard; or
2. Successfully completed handgun qualification within the United States Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, or Coast Guard, or a reserve component thereof, or of the Army Guard or Air Force National Guard.

Documentation for waiver. Persons seeking the training exemption set forth in paragraph A5 may submit with their application:

At least one of the following paper or electronic forms “showing evidence of handgun qualifications”:
Department of Defense Form DD 2586;
Department of Defense Form DD 214;
Coast Guard Form CG 3029;
Department of the Army Form DA 88-R;
Department of the Army Form DA 5704-R;

For Kentucky, it appears that the DD-214 is not accepted unless it documents HANDGUN training.
- - - - - - - -
That's the first four states out of 12 listed. Your assertion was that "most" states accept the DD-214 as proof of firearms safety training. What I've found so far doesn't support that as a blanket assertion. I'm not going to spend more time on it. You made the statement. It's up to you to spell out which of the states accepts the DD-214, and to what extent.

The ball is in your court ...

davidsog said:
In many states including New York a valid DD214 allows you to apply for a firearms license when younger than age 21 in addition to waiving the requirement for firearms training:

A person under 21 who has been honorably discharged from military service is eligible to apply for a firearms license.
There is nothing at the link you provided to suggest that a DD-214 waives the training requirement.

davidsog said:
Peoples Republic of California you do not need the firearms training:

Firearm Safety Certificate Exemptions

Military - Active Duty
Exemption Code: X21; Authorized by Penal Code section 31700, subdivision (a)(10)
An active member of the United States Armed Forces, the National Guard, or the Air
National Guard.
Page 4 of 33
 Military - Reserve
Exemption Code: X22; Authorized by Penal Code section 31700, subdivision (a)(10)
The active reserve components of the United States Armed Forces.
 Military - Honorably Retired
Exemption Code: X25; Authorized by Penal Code section 31700, subdivision (a)(10)
Any person honorably retired from the United States Armed Forces, the National Guard, or the Air National Guard.

Aren't you former military? You have to know that "retired" is not the same thing as discharged from active duty. I did one term of enlistment and I have a DD-214 to show for it. I had a long way to go before I would have been eligible to retire.

Back in 1997, not long after it was enacted, I got my Texas CHL. The class was fairly rigorous and took up a full day. In 2000, I moved to a state that didn't allow CC at the time (Ohio). Knowing I would be returning home, I didn't get an Ohio CCW while there. I finally returned and got my Texas LTC in 2016. Man! How things have changed! The half-day class barely covered any of the things I considered critical back in '97, chief among which is non-violent conflict resolution. The shooting aspect wasn't radically different, but I wish they would not have eliminated so much of the cerebral part of carrying a weapon. I unequivocally support the RTKBA, but I also support teaching the accompanying responsibilities just as strongly.

There is nothing at the link you provided to suggest that a DD-214 waives the training requirement.

A DD214 is proof of service....

Either you do not know that or are being kind of petty simply because California only service. Kind of a given that you must provide some form (DD214) of proof.

And the DD214 can be used in place of attaining a Firearms Safety Certificate TRAINING in the state of california.

I have NEVER seen a DD214 list "Handgun" Qualifications. Maybe if you did a year or two and have absolutely nothing else to put on it. I bet even then you would have talk very nicely to the clerk she would add it along with your grenade qualification, LMAO.

On serious note, they did change what goes on a DD214 and marksmanship badges are no longer listed.

However, in Kentucky.....

The only exception is DD Form 214 certificate, which is now accepted as long as it says Honorable discharge and shows you are pistol certified. If you are pistol certified and your DD-214 does not list it, you can fill out a an affidavit here at the office swearing to your certification.

:rolleyes:

http://www.jcsoky.org/ccdw.htm

ou have to know that "retired" is not the same thing as discharged from active duty. I did one term of enlistment and I have a DD-214 to show for it. I had a long way to go before I would have been eligible to retire.

Wow, you are wordsmithing. Separation vs Discharge. I was still honorably discharged from period of service or at least I will be by age 60.

An honorable period of service begets an honorable discharge at the end.

Last edited:
davidsog said:
Wow, you are wordsmithing. Separation vs Discharge. I was still honorably discharged from period of service or at least I will be by age 60.

An honorable period of service begets an honorable discharge at the end.
I'm not wordsmithing. In laws, words have specific meanings. If a law says an exemption is granted to "retired" military, that means people who served long enough to qualify for "retirement." Someone like me, who served one term of enlistment, may have an honorable discharge (which I do), but is not and never will be "retired" military.

Back