CC, how many spare magazines do you carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Double feeds on a 1911 - common clearing response entails locking the slide and removing the mag. Shoot them enough and you will experience this.

I've had it happen in a match. You learn how to do it quickly.

The g26 was fixed by ejecting that round and chambering another one. Maybe slightly slower than pulling out another gun
But faster than dropping and inserting another magazine. In my opinion, by stating the nagazine should be ripped out and replaced indicates a problem with the magazine itself.
Not all malfunctions require you to change out the mag. Most things are solved by a TRB. There are some that arent, and require the mag to be removed to solve the problem. A spare mag, and better yet, a second gun, will alleviate that problem.

Magazines are always a possible problem, especially if youre using them in a regular rotation. I use a specific set in practice, just to try and eliminate that issue in the guns I carry. I know a lot of people who only have what came with the gun, and thats all they use. Assuming they practice regularly, and the least bit realistically, those mags will likely get beat up and abused in short order in practice, and the probability goes up, that something can, and will go wrong.

If you shoot a lot, you know that things happen and stoppages occur. Its just inevitable, and the nature of the beast, and thats normally on a range where your not under any real stress. Ramp things up, and things tend come along with it.

Theres never a guarantee the next round will go bang when you expect it too, and thats why you practice immediate action drills, and to the point you dont have to think about it. If you dont, whats your plan? The time to have that worked out, is in regular and repetitive practice, so you dont have to think about doing it when it occurs for real. The last thing you want to have to do (actually, its something you really should never do), is stop and try to "diagnose" the problem during a bad time. You shouldnt have to think about what needs done. If the simple responses dont get it done right then in a second or two, then you need to do something else.

All of the above is just something that goes along with using an auto-loader. Revolvers have their own set of rules, and you practice them too, if you use one. Any of it is simply part of being proficient with what you use.

Id be willing to bet, that everyone here, probably has a spare tire in their car or truck. How often these days, do you have a "road" flat? I havent had one in over 15 years, and I normally drive 25-30000 "road" miles a year. Why carry a spare then? Simple, because when you need it, you need it. Same goes for a magazine for my autos.

One extra mag besides what is in the gun. if you get into a volume firefight it's past time to look for an exit. Even at the end of magazine #1.

Any firefight - if you can get out, do it. I ain't waiting till round 6 if I can make it out the door.

Of course, sometimes you make it out the door into another group of BGs.

Any firefight - if you can get out, do it. I ain't waiting till round 6 if I can make it out the door.

Of course, sometimes you make it out the door into another group of BGs.
A firefight and SD are different situations. We shouldnt be preparing for firefights. Atleast if we are...again you should pack more gear and more weapons.

If the attacker is armed with a firearm, things may quickly become a firefight. Two-way shootings can still be SD.

I posted 2 examples of where people reloaded and it saved their lives, the fact that they were not civilians is irrelevant.

I could not disagree more.

A civilian in defense fires his weapon with a goal to make the threat go away.

A LEO is on offense and fires his weapon with a goal of preventing the threat from going away, and pursuing the threat if it does.

There are no "always" or "never" scenarios, but overall, a bad guy who has fired on police has a lot more motivation to continue fighting than the guy who wanted you wallet and phone, and can easily run away and get a "do over".

One can look at how often semi-autos jam; the are thousands of days of training sessions very year, and one can participate in or observe a few. Frankly, my observations have been alarming. Do not look for comprehensive data.

One can look at the best way to address jams very quickly.

One can train to do so.

One can observe how quickly a practiced individual can clear a malfunction without looking at his gun.

And then one can make an informed decision.

or one can carry a revolver with a greater likelihood that all of his measley 5 rounds will fire.

I ws not literally asking for "ALL" of the incidents of reloading in self defense, but with so many telling me that 5 rounds is not enough to repel an attack, I would like to hear from ALL who advise this, of the actual incidents or statistics upon which they base this advise.

If the attacker is armed with a firearm, things may quickly become a firefight. Two-way shootings can still be SD.
When people mention firefight, i think of ok corral. When people mention SD, I always think of both people armed, not just one person.

As a CCW or gun owner i think we should stop fantasizing about having shootouts/firefights and think more of self defense.

Posted by TimSr:
....but with so many telling me that 5 rounds is not enough to repel an attack, I would like to hear from ALL who advise this, of the actual incidents or statistics upon which they base this advise.
Same issues: infrequent incidents, no detailed records except in cases of indictments, nor summaries compiled.....

Tom Givens' recent podcast with Mike Seeklander mentioned some data, but the sample size is very small indeed.

Decision-makers and analysts faced with such issues must rely on things other than actual data.

A good example: every passenger seat in every airplane that plies the skies within continents contains a flotation device. Why? Risk analysis based on simulation. There have been far, far too few actual accident and casualty data upon which to base that decision.

Someone I once knew was involved in an analysis of the likelihood that an airplane or ejected fighter pilot would come down in water other than oceans, bays, or gulfs. He most certainly did not assert that he could not do that without actual cases or statistics.

A firefight and SD are different situations

Oh, and please give me the Platonic archetype or mathematial proof that can clearly differentiate between the two when shots are starting to be fired.

A LEO is on offense and fires his weapon with a goal of preventing the threat from going away, and pursuing the threat if it does.

And what police manual did you get this gem from?

Oh, and please give me the Platonic archetype or mathematial proof that can clearly differentiate between the two when shots are starting to be fired.

And what police manual did you get this gem from?
If you bothered to read what i wrote, then you would see that i answered your question.

If youre expecting a firefight like police engage in, wear a bulletprood vest and have a radio to call in for backup like they do.

I've gone almost 59 years without ever needing a gun. No one I personally know has ever needed a gun. Does that mean I shouldn't carry one? A gun is insurance against what might happen, likely or not. Me, if I'm going to be prepared for a bad day it isn't much more trouble to prepare for a really bad day. When I carry my 10mm in a shoulder rig I have 14+1 in the gun and two 14 round mags on the other side of the rig. When I carry my 9mm Tristar IWB I have 17+1 in the gun and 2 19 round mags on the other side of my belt. Also IWB. Even when I'm just going down to the local convenience store and put my Tomcat in my pocket holster, I have 2 spare 7 rounders in the other pocket. Maybe there's a better chance of getting struck by lightning but there is always a possibility that a terrorist or a nut job could storm in and start killing people at a mall or stadium or train station. In that type of SHTF day My self defense might look a lot more like a LEO job. Most likely will never ever need it but it doesn't hurt one little bit to carry a couple extra mags.

I posted 2 examples of where people reloaded and it saved their lives, the fact that they were not civilians is irrelevant.

I could not disagree more.

If bullets are coming your way, it doesn't matter if you are a civilian or a police officer. If you run out of ammo it doesn't matter if you are a civilian or police officer.

You don't expect a firefight where you will need extra ammo.

Look at the Kenya mall videos and the folks who entered the mall to save victims. One said, OH - my - I realized I only had the rounds in my gun.

If you run into the grantedly rare rampage shooter or two - that's a firefight.

At Trolley Mall, the off duty officer was not expecting a firefight and ran low.

I propose that since it is stupid to carry extra ammo and you won't fire more that three shots on average - I now support the NY SAFE ban principles. I am convinced by the rhetoric here. NO one needs higher capacity anything. :rolleyes:

I'm a fan of carrying an extra magazine, and am not opposed to more than that.

That said, here's a quote that I pulled out of my quotes file. Probably came out of John Farnam's Quips newsletter some time back:

John Farnam said:
When asked to summarize a recent gunfight, Bill Hickock (known for his short answers) was quoted at saying simply, "He missed. I didn't." Bill correctly concluded that his point was made and that additional details would be superfluous. There is no substitute for surgical accuracy, no matter how exciting the situation. "Lots of shooting" doesn't end fights. Hits do!

I tend to agree with Farnam on this.

Also, from Claude Werner's blog at www.tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/2015/05/03/hardware-solutions-to-software-problems/

Claude Werner said:
Several times, I have been pointed to an article about a cop who decided he needed to carry a lot more ammo on the job. The story is an excellent example of having the answers right in front of you and then ignoring them. While I don’t disagree with the idea of having plenty of ammo, it wasn’t the real solution to the problem in his case.

As the incident progressed, he figured out that the answer to his problem was a software solution.

Then I told myself, ‘Hey, I need to slow down and aim better.’

Can't really argue with Claude on that one.

Here endeth the lesson.

pax

As the incident progressed, he figured out that the answer to his problem was a software solution

Fair point and one possible conclusion from what happened, I assume its the incident below. Most people would aim center mass, and a lot are probably trained to shoot center mass. In this case it wasn't getting the job done, even though he was using as said the mighty .45. The hits he did put on target would put most people down. I have seen posts of people saying on the subject that they had 7 rds of .45 and that would be enough stop anyone they are wrong. I bet he was glad he had more than one mag.

At the core of his desperate firefight was a murderous attacker who simply would not go down, even though he was shot 14 times with .45-cal. ammunition — six of those hits in supposedly fatal locations.

Last edited:
Extreme examplea but wow.
Interesting.

Proper shot placement of a deep-penetrating bullet is the only thing you can actually count on. You may get lucky and your attacker will choose to stop, but if not — you may have to force them to stop. And that may take a lot of bullets, so…Shoot until the threat stops

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back