CC, how many spare magazines do you carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer to carry 1 spare mag. 8 + 8.
For those who carry single-stacks, those rounds can go quick. Figure that under life-or-death stress, your accuracy is likely to suffer. If you require more than one hit to quickly stop an attacker and your effective hit rate is less than 50%, you might need more than 6-8 if there is more than 1 attacker. Personally, I would want around 6 shots per attacker at a minimum.

Yes, I realize that misses in a civilian area are BAD. You REALLY should account for all your shots and/or not take shots with innocents in your cone of likely fire.

Malfunction issues are real too. I've seen some odd things happen here and there.

It depends on where I am going and what I am doing. Just jump on my Triumph to chase some stuf down in town two extra mags. Security work seven mags and a backup gun with at least two mags. There was actually a gang shooting twenty feet from the building where I do security work during a concert. It was just my good luck that I did not have an event that night as it might have been me dropping the shooter instead of security from the building across the street.

I always carry at least one, but on rare occasions I'll carry two. I usually carry a Glock 26, which is 10+1. I either carry an extra 10 round G26 magazine, or a G17 magazine (holds 17 rounds) as a spare. I usually only carry two if I'm carrying a 1911.

I always carry 3 spare mags. As one said semi autos can fail.

There's the old saying, "you can never have too much ammo in a gunfight". It's a true saying and my personal belief is, a person is a fool not to carry spare ammo if they carry a gun.

I carry one mag/reload for the weapon I'm carrying. In the unlikly event I need it, it will be there just in case.

I carry either 1 or 2 backups, depending on what I'm carrying. Single-stack gets 2, double-stack gets 1.

And in addition to the two issues already raised (mag-related malfunction & number of rounds on hand), to be quite honest, I just find carrying much more comfortable if I carry an extra mag or two. It balances out the load on my belt.

Yea i prepare for it, i chamber another round, then throw the gun if that fails. Im not going to go around in life with guns hidden everywhere scared to die from an attack which will most likely never happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Posted by Moomooboo:
Yea i prepare for it, i chamber another round,
Experienced trainers tell us that clearing a malfunction quickly is best done by dropping the mag and putting in another one.

Those of us who have trained and who have watched others train know that.

...then throw the gun if that fails.
How would that help?

Im not going to go around in life with guns hidden everywhere scared to die from an attack which will most likely never happen.
That's off topic, but understand this: if you ever do need to use your gun, the estimated likelihood that that need would ever have materialized will become completely irrelevant. That's a very basic tenet of risk management.

Semiautomatic firearms do fail to feed or eject. That's a fact.

What one should consider is how quickly one can clear a malfunction under stress without looking at the gun. That takes practice--a lot of practice.

For many, a "New York reload" is a better solution.

My thinking would be if you carry a firearm, even though the odds are that you are unlikely to ever need to use it. Then the same would go for carrying an extra mag you are unlikely to need it but why take the chance. You wouldn't want your last thoughts to be I should have listened to the guy on the internet saying carry an extra mag.

When I used to have a MI CPL I had 2 handguns I would carry. Glock 22 and a Kahr PM 40. The Kahr held 6 (5+1) so I would carry the extra extended mag in my pocket with an additional 6, with the Glock (usu under a sweatshirt or coat) I would not carry an additional mag. In the very rare circumstance that I went into a less than ideal area I would carry a spare Glock mag, likely out of some misgiven threat of being involved in a hollywood style gunfight.

Glock and one mag. I've seen most common EDC guns fail and jam. You can say your gun is perfect till it goes bad when you need it.

I'm pretty fast on clearing most malfunctions but every once in a while you get a really weird one that can't be cleared easily. Watch the empty rotate around and then get squished back into the barrel. The new round mates with it. Not a quick fix.

I don't carry a reload, 5 or 6 in the gun if it's a revolver, 7 or 8 if it's an auto.
What's your reasoning for that. ?

Two examples one here and one in America where one mag would not have being enough.

Ex-UDR man recalls gun battle with IRA gang - News Letter
“I swung round quick and pushed the door into the other guy. He had the rifle round his neck on the string and was going to use his hands to get me out of the van but he ran off.”

Eric took cover behind the front wheel of the van and opened fire on two further gunmen armed with Kalashnikov-type rifles behind a low wall no more than 20 metres away.
When one moved position and appeared at the side of the house, Eric took careful aim and pulled the trigger only to find he was out of ammunition.
The magazine was empty but I had another one in my coat which was in the van.”

Eric would have to place himself in direct line of fire, running back around the open van door to retrieve his spare magazine. “I pulled out the coat, got the full mag and whacked it in to the gun.”

Why one cop carries 145 rounds of ammo on the job
Why one cop carries 145 rounds of ammo on the job

Before the call that changed Sergeant Timothy Gramins’ life forever, he typically carried 47 rounds of handgun ammunition on his person while on dutyAt the core of his desperate firefight was a murderous attacker who simply would not go down, even though he was shot 14 times with .45-cal. ammunition — six of those hits in supposedly fatal locations.

Last edited:
Two examples one here and one in America where one mag would not have being enough.
You are speaking of capacity, and as has been said by others, that is not the primary reason for having an extra magazine.

I got the point when I was watching a video in which Rob Pincus was demonstrating something entirely unrelated to tho subject.

His Glock provided an unexpected and unscripted failure to function. Relying on his training, Rob changed magazines almost stately without taking his eyes off the target and went back to the demonstration.

I'm not that good.

You are speaking of capacity, and as has been said by others, that is not the primary reason for having an extra magazine.
You would see it as a primary reason if you run out of ammo. It just shows there is more thane one good reason for extra ammo or mag.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back