carrying the percussion revolver

I really cannot understand the desire to carry a percussion revolver or even a single action revolver for personal defense. Some folks carry an SAA or equivalent if they have a place and space for "riding the range" but that seems to be more a matter of romanticism than for practical carry reasons. It is worth noting that the old folks who had nothing better shucked their "thumb-busters" pretty quick when guns like the S&W DA 44's and Colt New Service came along.

As to city carry of an 1851 Colt, that is even sillier. Some folks believe they can legally carry antique or percussion guns without a license since they are not "real" guns. That is simply not true where a carry license is needed; the laws on purchase of antique type guns are relaxed, but the laws concerning gun carry, ADW, armed robbery, etc., do not differentiate between an original 1851 Navy Colt and a 9mm Glock. If one is going to go to prison for carrying a gun illegally, it should at least be an effective gun.

Jim

If I had no other choice than to carry a C&B my 51 navy would get the nod. It's not a cap sucker and rarely has a cap jam plus it's pretty dang accurate. My Remington navy would be easier to carry but it's not as comfortable in the hand and isn't quite as accurate.

I have carried my 1862 "Sheriff" a few times in a pancake holster Dave made me, with nipple collars. Since Mike worked it over it has never once had a cap jam and ALWAYS goes bang. I don't carry it alot out and about but I have. I mostly carry a revolver that fires them new fangled brass cartridges.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I suppose the firepower issue could be a concern...any one of my revolvers still holds six times more rounds than the number of villainous crack thugs I've had to blow away in the last thirty years. (Hmmmm, I wonder if I should carry the 1858 tonight...for a speedy reload. Bad part of town)

This thread IS about carrying a cap gun for sd. I realize that most folks understand that carry means "to bring with" which in my state, allows me to have with me in my car and place of work without a permit. So my post above wasn't necessarily aimed (no pun!! Ha!) at on person carry, but in a car/ work. Obviously, folks that can't own a firearm can't get a carry permit. (Just didn't want folks to think I'm really that stupid!)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

reliability may be an issue. I prefer revolvers over semiautos because of just that reason. Too many pistols (both issue and personal) that jammed, stovepiped, etc. My Uberti hombre has never failed me, and I own a few cap and balls that are bulletproof. But above all, if you are comfortable, proficient, and have a handgun that you consider reliable, that trumps design, caliber, etc.

I have 10 pistols to choose from, but the '51 is the one I shoot most often and am the best shot with. I own 2 semiautomatics but for a walk in the woods or for a companion in the truck its the Navy. Like I said I most of the time stay from "bad places" although I did have the guy next to me shot off a bar stool once but he only got off 2 shots before some patrons tackled him.

I envy those who have had great luck with cap and ball revolvers.

I am not one of the people!

I just couldn't imagine being in a situation where my life, or more importantly the lives of my family, would be in extreme danger and I'm over there screwing around with a cap jam or other such nonsense while they are being hurt or killed. It's just insane. THINK about it.

Isn't your life and your loved ones worth more than your dorky Saturday-morning western fueled nostalgia?

PS: Again, not talking about cartridge guns here. Just percussion guns.

"Isn't your life and your loved ones worth more than your dorky Saturday-morning western fueled nostalgia?"

this is the same sentiment I feel for those who choose to carry a tiny pocket auto, that has a useful range of ten feet or less.....

I envy those who have had great luck with cap and ball revolvers.

I am not one of the people!

Maybe you need to figure out what you're doing wrong. Some Colt revolvers suck caps, some don't. The ones that do can be fixed. The small frame pocket/police revolvers are notorious for it but firing reliability shouldn't be an issue.

" just couldn't imagine being in a situation where my life, or more importantly the lives of my family, would be in extreme danger and I'm over there screwing around with a cap jam or other such nonsense while they are being hurt or killed. It's just insane. THINK about it.

Isn't your life and your loved ones worth more than your dorky Saturday-morning western fueled nostalgia?

PS: Again, not talking about cartridge guns here. Just percussion guns."

I think you missed the point. If a cap and ball is your most reliable gun, wouldn't you use it? P.S. Semiautos jam. some are ammo sensitive. If you have a problem keeping the caps on, for god's sake get some of those neoprene cap keepers, or better yet, use the right size. Any gun can malfunction, use the one you trust the most. Not a bad idea to carry a knife either.

if that's what a person feels is his best, then that is the one for him. Or her. I personally usually carry a uberti .357, but if I run into town with my 58 remmy on my belt because I was out in the woods , then I am equally as well armed. You can have all the "gun collection" you want, God knows I do, but fact is one bullet, or roundball can kill you, and even a $2,000 high capacity semiauto won't save you.

Could be legal status.

Or economic one... My entire BP collection costs (so far!) what many have spent on a SINGLE 'tricked out' Kimber...

Now.. if I had the dough you better bet I'd have one of them too! And who knows, maybe one day I will again... But until then I doubt any bad guys are going to just shrug off 6 rounds of 30-35grs of 777 and 148-195gr .44 chunks of lead...

A tricked out Kimber costs what, about $1500 give or take? What's the going price on a police trade in Glock 19 or a used Ruger P-series pistol? $300 or so? A quick glance at Cabela's web site is showing various Pietta and Uberti black powder revolvers starting around $200 and for a Pietta 1858 Army and on up to $450 for a Uberti Walker or Pietta stainless target 1858 revolver. For a $200-450 budget, there are a lot of good selections especially in the used market (my last CCW piece was a used Israeli surplus Beretta 84F in excellent condition for $327 shipped) that fall within that price range.
Don't want used, a new Canik TP9 series are generally around $350, again, well within that price range. No, they're not made in America (neither are Uberti or Pietta brands though) and maybe not as well refined as the Walthers they are copied from but hey, we're working with a black powder revolver budget here! LOL
Can't stand autos? Well, there is always the used police trade in S&W Model 10 revolvers that run around $300-350 on average. They are still serviceable and in working condition. They don't have the capacity of the modern 9mm pistols and the .38 Special is a much more mild cartridge than the .45 ACP but at light years ahead of a black powder revolver in terms of reliability and the ability to actually reload the thing if needed. Oh, and for the single action shooting folks, you can still cock the hammer for every shot like you do on a black powder pistol if that's what blows your skirt up.
Once again, I can see no real benefit of setting out to use a black powder pistol for defensive purposes. I guess if I was out in the yard plinking with my BP revolvers and Johnny Jihad rolls in with the yapple-dapple gang foling close behind yelling "Allah-uh-Akbar", well, it's what I have in my hand at the moment that gives me 6 chances to get to a serious fighting weapon. That however is by happenstance and not by design so you are stuck using what you have a that particular moment in time. But you can guarantee that I when it comes to protecting my home or my person when I am out and about that it will NOT be a black powder pistol I will entrust my life to.

USMC,
As Robert Duval said in "Open Range" - "listen with yer good ear!!"

IF A BP REVOLVER IS ALL YOU CAN HAVE (LEGALLY) THEN THATS ALL YOU CAN TAKE WITH YOU!!!

Most of what you list would be off limits.

The only "real benefit" of using one (on purpose) is because ITS BETTER THAN A ROCK IF THATS ALL HE OR SHE CAN OWN !!!! So, that being the case, they are serious!!

If they want better than "out of the box", then you get them custom tuned for reliability. Then you end up with a reliable, high end, cap and ball revolver that handles and functions every bit as good as a high end modern cart. revolver. AND THEY'RE LEGAL!!!!!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

This is an interesting thread.......

it has exposed biases of different groups. Let's dig a little more.

First, let's say we compare 'new' to 'new'. Yes, there many good 'used' but.....if you look at the bottom line....it's hard to buy much on sale for $200. Spare me the 'what's your safety worth'.....it's already been said.

So Piettas on sale at Cabelas, and a few new autos like the SCCY, or much less quality brands would fit that sale price range. Not the $450 new Walker range. Now the SCCY has 10 shots not 6, and will appeal more to the 'more is better' vs the 'six is enough' crowd. No argument, you get more bangs without reload for the buck.

However, the barrel (depending on BP model) can be longer than the small $200 autos....so there should be an accuracy advantage for the BP. Yes this can be countered by looking through a smoke cloud for a second shot...if one's required.

Much has been made of reliability. For comparison, let's say that the caps fit the nipples or that sleeves are used...and the caps stay on. (Although this may be the main reliability point.) I would not think caps are less reliable to ignite BP than primers to ignite smokless. There was a video of a cap pistol fired underwater.

That leaves the comparison of the actions...FTFeed/eject vs spring breaking??
I don't expect to change any opinions...nor do I wish to. I'm just wondering what is the one root reason (only the main one...in 2 or 3 words) that you believe as you do.....and is there a consensus for each group?. Let's assume the same shooter and skills for both types of weapon. If reliability....exactly why. If just 'number of shots' OK ,whatever is your most important reason. :)

Back