Budget Duty Size 9mm - Home and Truck Gun

See I thought the Ruger Security 9 had a better trigger then the Glock 19. Goes to show that everyone feels/likes things differently and one mans junk is another's prized shooter. The Price is definitely right on the Security 9. Honestly I have been looking at the SARs lately as well and they are some very well priced options.

See I thought the Ruger Security 9 had a better trigger then the Glock 19. Goes to show that everyone feels/likes things differently and one mans junk is another's prized shooter. The Price is definitely right on the Security 9. Honestly I have been looking at the SARs lately as well and they are some very well priced options.
Actually, the trigger felt great...just the reset was a bit long. Overall, the Glock just feels better in my hand.

OP sounds like you REALLY like Glock and kind of have your sights on them. That’s my suggestion for you. Sure, the SAR B6P I mentioned is a decent firearm for cheap (as well as Ruger security 9 and the SDWV)... but I can’t put effort into talking anyone out of saving an extra 150 and going with Glock or a similar mid-tier brand if that’s what they want.

I don’t even like Glock and his pistols, but by golly it’s really hard to trash them for the price and their proven pedigree.

Oh, btw... that blue label pricing of 480 you quoted that better be with night sights and 3 mags. From what I understand Glocks blue label pricing does not vary from store to store... it is a set price nationwide. Of course local taxes may affect the out the door price, but base should be the same.

The Sarsilmaz are awful nice guns for the price. Picked up a B6C, which is the compact version, and made as a polymer framed CZ-75 type gun. The Mec-Gar mags fit with no issue, but are probably about an 1/8 of an inch longer than the mags it came with. Came as a nice package with a hard case, brush, and a couple steel mags. Shoots nice albeit mine seems to have a stiff extractor, and have had to give it a bump a few times. And the rear sight may need to be drifted a hair.

The pistol slide has a nice nitride (I think) coating, and a stainless barrel, and operates pretty nice.

But for a dedicated truck or home gun, I'd probably go to a full size version, or possibly a bigger cartridge single action semi. Without having to worry about how big, or heavy it is, I'd probably lean towards some sort of full size or long barrel/slide 10mm in a 1911.

I prefer a nice trigger, and where you will have a couple fractions of a second to bring it to bear, I don't see a draw back.

If you are stuck on striker pistols, I hear very good things about the Canik. Supposed to have the best triggers in the business right now, and quite accurate.

I hate to say it,but I am growing pretty fond of my Taurus PT111,it is hard to beat for 200 dollars. It is light weight,accurate and very dependable once I got it broke in.

I can speak from experience that Caniks are indeed a very solid option as well. Worth the look and yes even on their lower end models, triggers are very good and all can be made better with a little effort and some elbow grease ( polishing of key points in the trigger system) Good source of all things Canik:

https://canikfanatikforum.com/index.php?sid=0f10b051d5434c311996fb7065274100

If you just want to read a very detailed guide to all the models available currently without searching:

https://canikfanatikforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1098

The SAR CM9 Gen 2 is a great gun, and you can get it for $250+. Kind of a CZ P-07 clone. Mine has 1500 plus rounds through it without a hitch. Great SA trigger and decent DA trigger.

I do not buy budget guns. I buy only quality. At first you think you are saving money. By the time you buy a holster, magazines and enough ammo to familiarize yourself you realize you should have just bought what you wanted in the first place.

I do not buy budget guns. I buy only quality. At first you think you are saving money. By the time you buy a holster, magazines and enough ammo to familiarize yourself you realize you should have just bought what you wanted in the first place.
I have pretty much decided I am going with the G19. Waiting for a sale at the PX on base. I have shot it and am very accurate. It is also reliable as all get-out.

I do not buy budget guns. I buy only quality. * * *

Normally I'd agree, where "budget" means 'cheap' or 'cheaply made.' Lorcins, for example.

But in the OP's situation, where he's considering ex-L.E. pistols from various makers of known quality, like Glock, S&W, HK, et. al., 'budget' really means 'inexpensive' or 'less expensive than NIB/retail pricing.'

Most ex-L.E. trade-in guns were carried way more than they were ever shot, unless it's some ex-SWAT or other Special-Unit pistol that saw a high-round count due to constant training.

Like the rifle world, its a good time for pistols. Many manufacturers making some very good pistols. Cheap and budget are not the same thing these days. Many will agree...Hi-point is a cheap gun. It goes bang, has some neat things going for it. Just not quite there with production line refinement, quality control and material use. It will shoot for a bit then fail.
Now others like Ruger, S&W, Century Arms ( Canik ) Walther etc have spent years refining their production lines and material stores. When they decide to make a budget gun it often results in a durable, quality firearm with the main features many desire, a modest design and wallet friendly price. The SDV9E ( I think that's it) from S&W and the Security 9 or the American from Ruger are shining examples. Canik's TP9 line has several variations and all share the same quality and durability. These are not cheap guns and will serve the user very well. Believe it or not Glocks are just middle class out of the box. They are the Remington 700 action of the pistol world. Everyone makes stuff to modify, support, enhance etc. Throw in some solid craftmanship and great marketing and you have yourself a pistol folks will pay a little more for based on perceived value. Are Glocks good...heck ya. They are not for everyone though and they certainly are not the end all of reliable pistols. You are placing your trust in the pistol. If you already have a strong faith and respect for a certain company then it seems silly to mess with that. Now if you are carrying that company's gun for your life and are looking to expand your circle of trust then definelty get out there and try out the recommended pistols here...they all have something special to offer and would all be capable of performing the role of defense.

Most ex-L.E. trade-in guns were carried way more than they were ever shot, unless it's some ex-SWAT or other Special-Unit pistol that saw a high-round count due to constant training.

Absolutely. I have a Glock 22 police trade in I got for $299 with 5 mags. It is in way nicer shape than my main carry Glock.

I have pretty much decided I am going with the G19. Waiting for a sale at the PX on base. I have shot it and am very accurate. It is also reliable as all get-out.
I bought a Glock 19 at the Ft. Carson PX earlier this month. If you want extra magazines, see if your PX carries the Magpul ones. They're half the price of the Glock ones.

I'll echo a few other posters experiences with the P07.

I've had mine as my EDC for 2 years or so with no failures. 1000 plus rounds through it.

And unless you like the way Glocks feel in your hand, the CZ is waay more ergonomic IMO.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Went to the PX today. Cannot stand the stipling on the CZ. It was uncomfortable just to hold. I did find out I can get an additional 10% off using my STAR card...G19 Gen 4 $400 out the door.

The G-19 is certainly not wrong.IMO,one of the best.

I'm making a general "truck gun" comment. IMO,nothing wrong with a gun locked/secured in the truck...unless you need it.Then its better in a holster on your body. The G-19 is still good.

If a bad situation causes you to go to your truck,get in your truck,and retrieve your G-19 form secure storage,

You get to decide whether to drive away,or head back toward trouble.

That might all be interesting if you need to claim self defense.

Just something to ponder ahead of time,before the "heat of the moment"

Back