Budget Duty Size 9mm - Home and Truck Gun

Cz p07 is a nice reliable gun, the sp01 phantom (full size) is also a great gun.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

You mentioned concern for lack of a safety on an SD9. I don't think the Canik has a safety either. I have to 2nd 5whiskey's Sar suggestion. I have a Sar model with 3000+ problem free rounds through it. They're well made.
Why is a safety such a concern? Most of these guns have a long DAO triggers and no need for a safety. Glocks don't have safeties, yet there are millions of them out there.
The only people who need safeties on a DAO gun are those with poor gun handling skills, who don't trust their own ability to NOT shoot themselves accidentally.
Wait, let me check my J-frame revolver....nope, no safety there either !!

Cz p07 is a nice reliable gun, the sp01 phantom (full size) is also a great gun.

I would have to second that they are both excellent firearms. A P07 is my current duty carry. A touch more than what the OP wants to spend though I believe.

Why is a safety such a concern? Most of these guns have a long DAO triggers and no need for a safety. Glocks don't have safeties, yet there are millions of them out there.
The only people who need safeties on a DAO gun are those with poor gun handling skills, who don't trust their own ability to NOT shoot themselves accidentally.
Wait, let me check my J-frame revolver....nope, no safety there either !!
Canik has a trigger safety. Glock has a trigger safety. SD9 is striker fired, not DAO and has no safety. To compare that to a J-frame...pretty ignorant. If you do research, you will see the a J-frame has a 4-6 lb heavier trigger pull than an SD9. I want something with a lighter trigger pull, anyway.

BTW, been shooting for over 40 years. 20 years in the military with combat experience. Rifle and pistol marksmanship medals. I have experience and have my own preference there, keyboard warrior.

Last edited:
I would have to second that they are both excellent firearms. A P07 is my current duty carry. A touch more than what the OP wants to spend though I believe.
We spend 500 times more on ammo than the price of the gun....lol thats why i had to start reloading 9mm many years ago...lol

If you use the CZ P07 as your duty pistol, that is a testament to your faith in reliability. Thanks. I find that they are around $410 at the cheapest. Was wanting to come in a little lower than that. Thanks for the input.

We spend 500 times more on ammo than the price of the gun....lol thats why i had to start reloading 9mm many years ago...lol

I wish I had time to shoot that much, haha. If I did, I would probably save up longer and get a Glock.

Canik has a trigger safety. Glock has a trigger safety. SD9 is striker fired, not DAO and has no safety. To compare that to a J-frame...pretty ignorant. If you do research, you will see the a J-frame has a 4-6 lb heavier trigger pull than an SD9. I want something with a lighter trigger pull, anyway.

BTW, been shooting for over 40 years. 20 years in the military with combat experience. Rifle and pistol marksmanship medals. I have experience and have my own preference there, keyboard warrior.
The SD9 also has a trigger safety, similar to a Glock. The difference is that on the SD9 the trigger itself hinges instead of a tab that hinges. Both function primarily as drop safeties.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

If you use the CZ P07 as your duty pistol, that is a testament to your faith in reliability.

Reliable, very accurate, and easy to shoot well. I have about 2k rounds through my p07. The only stoppage was a squib load. My fault in not dropping a powder charge, not the pistols fault.

I wish I had time to shoot that much, haha. If I did, I would probably save up longer and get a Glock.
When i got my phantom (was my 1st cz) many years ago, i would take a minimum of 500 rds with me to the range, i was going training at least twice a week. It became expensive so i started to reload for it. I have over 45/50k rds thru it, once i sent it to Cajun something (gunsmith that have great reputation working with cz) he looked it over and changed 1 spring that was getting a little weak...
P07 is the first handgun i was able to hit my 10 inch plate at 100 yards. (I mostly shoot steel for handgun and rifle)
Cz handgun are way more accurate that i will ever be.
About 4 years ago: the steel round target is on the right

https://youtu.be/eP4c-pU_qW4

Save your nickels and buy a Steyr, you'll thank me
Has everything your seeking plus... more reliable than a Glock, Better trigger than a Glock, better grip than a Glock, softer shooting than a Glock, etc, etc

The trigger dingus on a Glock, Canik, PPQ, and internally through the back sculpting of the trigger on the P99 is not a safety.

It's to stop the striker from releasing when dropped. Drop safety, yes. Safety like being used in this conversation? No.

The coolest moment in history for the dingus is Walther P99 commercial video with a P99 dropped from a helicopter (theatrical) to prove it won't fire.

Calling someone ignorant wasn't very nice when you yourself appear to be mistaken too.

Yeah, have not really looked at the Creed. I have checked out the police trade-ins. Those can be hit or miss on wear and tear. Thanks for all of the inputs. I will say, if I had the money. it would be a Glock 19. I shoot it very well. Just on a budget right now and all I have is my compact carry XDs. I also have a Ruger LC9, but it is the old DAO. Want something with more capacity.
I think find that budget, save a few $ more and get what ya want. If you don't, then everytime you look at what you did get, you'd wish you added a few $ and got the Glock..
I saw a couple of used G-19 at the latest Tanner show for $399...

IMHO, of course.

The trigger dingus on a Glock, Canik, PPQ, and internally through the back sculpting of the trigger on the P99 is not a safety.

It's to stop the striker from releasing when dropped. Drop safety, yes. Safety like being used in this conversation? No.

The coolest moment in history for the dingus is Walther P99 commercial video with a P99 dropped from a helicopter (theatrical) to prove it won't fire.

Calling someone ignorant wasn't very nice when you yourself appear to be mistaken too.
Thanks for the info. Did not call the poster ignorant. Said the comparison was. Apples to oranges and it was said in a way that was not exactly polite.

I will own my ignorance on the trigger safety on the SD9.

Last edited:
I think find that budget, save a few $ more and get what ya want. If you don't, then everytime you look at what you did get, you'd wish you added a few $ and got the Glock..
I saw a couple of used G-19 at the latest Tanner show for $399...

IMHO, of course.
Yeah, I have done that quite a few times. I am going to hit the LGS soon and shoot what they have in budget pistols.

BTW-Thanks for your service..even if it was in the 'youngest branch:)

BTW-hard to go wrong with the G-19..I have owned one and between me and my sons, we own 6(Glocks)..reliable, simple, accurate..did I say reliable? :)

Back